Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Incorporating Cross-stitch, anyone have experience?

I have never done this but would like to. I alwasy worried about the treads coming undone after a few washings but if you used the iron on stablizer that would secure them.
    Thanks for the tip all.
    Gale

OMG! I bought 4 packs of Waste Canvas yesterday at Joann's for $1.99 each! Don't know if that's a good deal for me or not, but I got it anyway!

Now, when I use this, I'm assuming I do the cross-stitch as normal, making sure I pre-shirnk everything. As for the thread, how do you dry it after you soak it in warm water? Also, when the cross stitch is done, and I pull the canvas out, how does the stitching stay in place? And can i use fusable web to attach it to the back of my quilt?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barbsbus
    Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    I'm thinking for my label for my quilt, when I'm done, I'd like to do it in cross-stitch and attach it to a block on the lower right hand corner of the quilt. I'm wondering when and how I can do this. When II do cross-stitch, I have to do it on the 14count fabric or it will come out messy. I'm hoping I can just sew that fabric onto the quilt.

Can anyone give me any \advice?

I do cross stitch using some tear away stuff that I buy at JoAnns. It is stiff and is kind of like canvas. You cross stitch in the holes and when you are through you pull out the threads of the stiff stuff. Wish I could remember the name of it.
    Its called Tear away waste canvas. I used it on this baby blanket. The daisies were embroidered tho here it is with the waste canvas
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...56568968pTyCzT
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    OMG! I bought 4 packs of Waste Canvas yesterday at Joann's for $1.99 each! Don't know if that's a good deal for me or not, but I got it anyway!

Now, when I use this, I'm assuming I do the cross-stitch as normal, making sure I pre-shirnk everything. As for the thread, how do you dry it after you soak it in warm water? Also, when the cross stitch is done, and I pull the canvas out, how does the stitching stay in place? And can i use fusable web to attach it to the back of my quilt?
    yes do everything as normal. I find after i'm done. i spray it with water cuz the canvas is stiff. for me it was easier to pull out. just pull on each canvas string. like your unraveling it. it'll leave your work.... i hope this makes sense :D

Quote Originally Posted by Bevanger

yes do everything as normal. I find after i'm done. i spray it with water cuz the canvas is stiff. for me it was easier to pull out. just pull on each canvas string. like your unraveling it. it'll leave your work.... i hope this makes sense :D
    Do I attach the design to the fabric first, then remove the canvas?

Banned
    yes. look at this link. you'll see i have it pinned to fabric

Quote Originally Posted by Bevanger
    yes. look at this link. you'll see i have it pinned to fabric

I see, you have the fabric and canvas in the frame while you stitch the piece. I get it now. Thanks for your help!

Banned
    For that particular blanket, I used prequilted muslin.... In your case just use the plain muslin. I found the tighter the weave I guess you call it the better it looks. Like the fabric used for pillowcases. I personally love the muslin. Have fun, and please show us pics when your done.. :D :D

Amazing....this board is like having someone reading your mind.......I was just thinking about whether or not I could incorporate some of my stash of crossstitch supplies into my newest obession(quilting)!!

Thanks ladies for all your knowledge.

Hi quiltncrazy,
    My name is Susan and we live in W Massachusetts. Emma's quilt was my first attempt at crosstitch/quilt design. She is my first grandaughter and now 4 yrs old, attending an A.M. pre-school. She too loves other children and I'm sure your grandaughter and she would love each other. Emma loves to watch what I do and is quite the fashion fashionista, loves fabrics and good design. funny!
    Grandkids just reach deep inside you, don't they.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Susie T
    Hi quiltncrazy,
    My name is Susan and we live in W Massachusetts. Emma's quilt was my first attempt at crosstitch/quilt design. She is my first grandaughter and now 4 yrs old, attending an A.M. pre-school. She too loves other children and I'm sure your grandaughter and she would love each other. Emma loves to watch what I do and is quite the fashion fashionista, loves fabrics and good design. funny!
    Grandkids just reach deep inside you, don't they.
    Susan

I'm originally from Western Mass...North Adams to be exact...

Hi Jen,
    We are in Springfield/Wilbraham, MA-thanks for introducing yourself. You didn't go far though, but you probably see more culture than I do. We have limited quilting and fabric choices, thank God for the internet.
    Susan

I'm about an hour and 15 minutes away from where I used to live. All my family is still there. Such a tiny little town compared to living in Albany. I'd love to live half way between there and here. Some day.

Out here I have a pretty large Joann's and Walmarts, but I haven't ventured into any local quilt shops yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2