Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inexpensive new mechanical machine >

Inexpensive new mechanical machine

Inexpensive new mechanical machine

Old 05-31-2017, 11:06 AM

If you can find a closeout on the old Juki 2000, you would have a nice machine to last a lifetime. I own the 2010 and it isn't all that much different than the 2000. It is simply wonderful.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by newBe View Post
I am wishing to obtain an inexpensive mechanical sewing machine to do straight-stitch even stitching of variable lengths. A new machine is preferable. I enjoy piecing only. Model suggestions?
My preference is the Singer 301 for beautiful seams and dependability, but if your heart is set on having NEW, take a look at the BabyLock Jane.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:53 AM

Take a look at the Brother cs6000i on Amazon for approx $150. It has all the basics and more.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:23 PM

I would have to agree with a new machine--one never knows all the ins and outs of a used machine. If you have shop that carries different brands I would start there and test drive them and ask lots of questions.
Originally Posted by newBe View Post
Wow! A lot of options. I am so excited about looking into this at more depth, and really appreciate all of the advice and suggestions. You guys have made my day!!! Thanks. I've been searching at Goodwill, Estate Sales, Thrift Shops, and Yard Sales for about a month, and am thinking a new machine is the way to go for me at this time.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:06 PM

I have a lower end Janome and I'd never buy another one. I've sewn for over 55 yrs and have a total of 5 mechanical machines. (not computerized) and it's the worst machine I've ever sewn on.
I'd go with a Singer, Bernini, Brother, or Phaff personally. Buy the best you can afford.

Don't overlook older machines that have proven track records. My two Singer 401A's (1950's era) are as solid as the come. Perfect stitches, metal, and parts are still available. I have a 1010 Singer Redeye Treadle that sews perfect stitches. Found it on craigslist.
Just make sure you try them out before you buy a used one. Wiring can be important as well.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have the Brother 1500 also. It's a great machine. Straight stitch only. Built to last.
Close to 95% of my stitching is straight-stitch. Recently purchased a new 1500SE. The first was still good after ~20 yrs, just getting a little sloppy. It's a work horse. Just turn it on and no problems to solve before you can sew.

As to upper feed dog; the Brother 1500SE has a built-in pin that works with the feed dogs to keep the fabrics alligned. In the throat plat just behind the needle hole is another hole where this pin comes up. When the needle is up the pin is below the throat plate.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I suggest a basic mechanical Brother.
I have a basic mechanical Brother from Wally World that I have given hard use to, taken cross country under a grey dog bus twice, and it still works like new.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

Are you looking for something kind of ho hum generic or a high end used machine? As mentioned Singer 201 or 401 - both were top of the line when new. Elna made a nice machine, quirky if you get a green one but the stitches are great. They even made a straight stitch only machine. The singer 500 is really cool. There are some old machines I love that aren't high end but the beat the Janome I got rid of and are cheap. Try an old Japanese straight stitch. There are people around just about any city who refurbish them including me. Or you can refurbish one yourself. Once refurbished they may last a very long time. Nope they aren't going to cut your thread etc but they can be very cool to look at, too. Old Necchi machines can be very cool. Let's see, old Singer, Old Elna, old Necchi, old Pfaff, old Bernina, old Kenmore, old Japanese you name it they will outlast anything new. How about a treadle. Now wires to worry about and you get exercise. There are all different makes of really cool old treadle machines. How about a hand crank. Again no wires and if you can lift - it's portable. Whether or not you can refurbish an old machine or not you will have to eventually maintain what ever you do buy. Why not learn on a garage sale find? Not much to lose.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:07 AM

I got an inexpensive Brother from Costco. Never thought I'd do that but its worked great. Wanted one to have at one end of my cutting table just to attach binding and longer borders. This gave me the table space I needed so the quilt wasn't hanging over putting lots of weight and pulling on the needle. Paid a couple hundred for it. Well worth it to me. Plus the feet on my Babylock high end machine works on the Brother machine so two-fold.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:44 AM

Yes the older Singer machines and they are fantastic! They sew a great straight stitch as well as the older Kenmores. In my opion, you cannot beat a older metal sewing machine for piecing.I have computerized embroidery machines and you have to be careful with the pc boards going out. Even with being careful it does not mean the boards will not go out. It is everyones' personal preference.