Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive Replacement blades for rotary cutter

My store does not carry them in store. Keep hoping I'll pop in and they will have them. I have bought them in other towns, but don't go anywhere any more.

Blog Entries
    I shared this during "Show and Tell" with my guild. I made 80 new converts that night.

If you are not familiar with these, here is the link to see them:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of...des-97642.html

Note, online, they are on back order. If you going to buy them local, you might want to call first. Their website also has a store locator. I didn't even know we had one in our town...and for heaven's sake, don't tell them what we are using them for!

Blog Entries
    I love Harbor Freight, not just for the rotary blades but they have lots of cool stuff. I usually find something I can't live without (haha).

Was able to order them online at the sales price. Quick delivery and saved gas money.

I also went to Harbor Freight and brought 2 pkgs of these blades and did not have very good luck using my Olfa 45mm rotary cutter. It cut my material like a worn out blade and had to take the scissors to finish cutting. Think I will invest my money in a electric sharpner for rotary blades.
    IdahoSandy

The other item(s) are the suction holders for your rulers. They have a double for large rulers and a single for smaller ones. I forget the exact price but they are rediculously cheaper than buying them through a quilting source.
    Donna

Cool - we have one of those stores not to far from where I work - looks like I'm going to make an unexpected stop tonight :)

Do you need the Fiskar cutter to fit these blades. What kind of rotary cutter are you putting the blades on?

community benefactor BECOOLWRAPS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by judyrael
    Do you need the Fiskar cutter to fit these blades. What kind of rotary cutter are you putting the blades on?
    Thanks for asking this - I am wondering too if my Olfa cutter can be used with these blades. Although I am from Canada, I am 10 minutes from the US border and there is a Harbour Freight in Bellingham (about 40 minutes from home). So, it looks like a small trip might be worthwhile.

They are great.

I actually have extras (hubby cleaned them out last time he went) if anyone is interested in purchasing these from me.

I ordered on line and with shipping 6 blades only came to $11.00 +or- a few cents and that was to Maine.l

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jacee kay
    I was very disapointed when I went they were out of blades. Would have 32 pkgs next day. We live about 60 miles from Tulsa so I won't be back for a while.
    I just wanted to add that I had the same incident, with local HF out and not getting restock for several weeks...so I went online and got the blades at the sale price, and bought 10 packs at the same shipping cost (which is a little high, so be sure you notice that!), and still ended up with the blades costing less than $1.50 each!! What a deal!! And they work perfectly...no quality issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoSandy
    I also went to Harbor Freight and brought 2 pkgs of these blades and did not have very good luck using my Olfa 45mm rotary cutter. It cut my material like a worn out blade and had to take the scissors to finish cutting. Think I will invest my money in a electric sharpner for rotary blades.
    IdahoSandy
    I order some, too, and used the first one last night and had the same experience .. I was *very* disappointed :|
    I also read on one of my groups, another lady had the same experience ... I'm *not* say they're bad blades ~ just can't figure it out.

I told a friend to bring her rotary cutter and we were going on a shopping trip. She had no idea what I had in mind so she just followed me. My Harbor Freight doesn't carry them - Jacksonville, FL! We were both dissappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by jacee kay
    I was very disapointed when I went they were out of blades. Would have 32 pkgs next day. We live about 60 miles from Tulsa so I won't be back for a while.
    You can purchase them online that is what I did. I have yet to try them, but, I bought 10 packages

What kind of Rotary Cutter do you use for these blades?

I just went yesterday and bought 5 packages. What a great buy!

I looked for those blades on line and happened to find one store in our area (Mid MO) but on line they were sold out and the store told me they used to carry them but didn't any longer. We were visiting my daughter in New Orleans and drove by a Harbor Freight so swung in and I bought 2 packages as that was all they had. I just put my first one in yesterday and I LOVE the way it cuts. Guess I'll be sending my daughter on an errand every once in a while.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by greenini
    If you do the monthly swap they make great tuck ins!
    Hadn't thought of that! Great idea.
    Oh, yes!! Great idea!! I'll have to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by judyrael
    What kind of Rotary Cutter do you use for these blades?
    Any kind of cutter, 45mm size. They are great. Some trouble with them is that the ladies do not realize they put 2 blades in the cutter as they are a little oily and stick together. Please check that you have just one. They are wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by sassey
    I made my first trip there last week got 12 blades all they had in single packs for 1.49 was looking for the 2 packs but there was none also picked up a very magnatized screw and nut bowl oh so great I am forever dropping my pin container this keeps them from going all over the floor and got some pliers for my jewelry work I couldn't believe how cheep they are
    Please check your blades carefully. The blades are coated with a greasy substance and when opening the blades it looks like only one blade when actually there are two blades stuck together. I believe they only come in two to a pack. Be very careful when separating the blades because they have a nasty bite.

I bought one of those blue blade sharpaners several years ago and I have not bought blades again. They cost about $17.00 but if you don't have to buy blades anymore, they are worth it. They are sold at Joanns and on line. I quilt for a living and this really saves me money.

It's an awesome find! I buy a pkg. every time I'm in HF with my DH. Last time the shelf was empty. I think the word's out. ;-)

Blog Entries
    Word is we will be getting a Harbor Freight here in Rochester MN - can't wait now that I know about getting these blades.... :roll: ;)

when i went in at Huntville,Alabama, they raised the price to 1.79...but still a bargin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast