Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inexperienced needs help with proposing to girlfriend!! >

Inexperienced needs help with proposing to girlfriend!!

Inexperienced needs help with proposing to girlfriend!!

Old 06-06-2012, 05:39 AM

What an awesome idea!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:44 AM

What a fun idea! You have had some good suggestions here. I'd go for it!!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:48 AM

Seems like great intentions but not having made a quilt before this may end up being more than you care to handle. (hours and hours of precesion cutting and sewing, then it needs to be quilted) She might appreciate a bag of quilting supplies or a kit tied up with the ring. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Maybe you could take her to Padukah for the honeymoon : > )
Old 06-06-2012, 05:55 AM

I love the ease of the rag quilt idea but personally think that, since this will be a keepsake for sure, something more classically quilty would probably be better. The idea about the line that has alphabet blocks is a really good one. I am hoping that you would like to get this done fairly quickly and get this girl married to you. So follow the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rule and make something beautiful and simple. We quilters gravitate to lots of neat "things" that make a quilt FABULOUS but the fabulous here is the job this quilt is made to do in a simple and beautiful way.

1. Get good "CIA" help from local quilter shop or quilters.
2. Pick a simple plan. I think just blocks made of beautiful fabrics in a simple arrangement.
3. Either include a large embroidered (Hire this done) square or use alphabet fabric blocks spelling out your request in your pattern.
4. Put on a nice double border.
5. Have it professionally quilted.
6. MAKE A LABEL and attach it.
7. Either bind it yourself or get someone in your family to help with this who is a quilter. That way they are involved close to the revelation of what you are doing with less chance to spill the beans.
8. Help plan the wedding!

We are here for you along the way. You HAVE to keep us posted!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

A very good list that MHollifiel has given, and one more point to add ------

9. Be careful whom you share your plan and project with ... quilters are known to share exciting news!

As for all the talk about your choosing a too ambitious project for a first time ... in quilting, there's never too ambitious of a project, when it's something that you reeeeally reeeeeeeally want to do. So go for it with your love of your Love, and you'll do a spectacular job!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:25 AM

Well, isn't that the most romantic thing I've heard in a long time??? (If she dares to say "no", I will divorce my husband and marry you!!!) Good luck with this wonderful idea!!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I think you should go ahead with the idea thinking she will say yes. You know her. I think the wallhanging idea is a great idea. I think doing applique would be so easy. I think going to your local quilt shop and asking them for advice on appliqueing would be what you need to do. Congrats (in advance)!!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by spokanequilter View Post
Well, isn't that the most romantic thing I've heard in a long time??? (If she dares to say "no", I will divorce my husband and marry you!!!) Good luck with this wonderful idea!!
Putting in my offer to be next in line - however I am not married! What a true keeper (that's you young man)!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:36 AM

What an awesome thoughtful way of proposing; something that would be unique and special to her!! Good luck on your endeavor; you'll do just fine. Please post a pic of the completed quilt or wallhanging along with her answer! You can't leave us all hanging....
Old 06-06-2012, 09:49 AM

What a good idea!