Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Information on sewing extension tables >

Information on sewing extension tables

Information on sewing extension tables

Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 AM

Default Information on sewing extension tables

What brand do you find helpful? What size do you recommend? Cut for a specific machine or a universal cut to fit all?
Thank you so much for guidance.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

If you check on Bonnie Hunter's http://www.quiltville.blogspot.ca she has a list of shops she deals with. She has an adjustable table that she uses for all her antique machines. See if it something that would interest you.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

I recommend making your own, as you can get a much larger surface that way. Also, it's much less expensive and more portable (lightweight). Here is a link to some Youtube videos that show you how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25v3ZTk0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0lk7UBQgZY

Here is a link to her list of videos on the topic. There is a fourth one (update) that adds to the previous three. She also has one on ergonomics of sewing:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBF5C338341F28BF9

Edit: If you do a Youtube search on "quilting table" or "sewing table", you will find other ideas as well.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=Prism99;6530408]I recommend making your own, as you can get a much larger surface that way. Also, it's much less expensive and more portable (lightweight). "

I made this table and love it! It is cheap to make about $50, can be taken dow easily, and is very big. Also the foam is cut exactly to my machine height. My DH pu this on an old table that he cut the legs off so the height of the table and the foam are ergonomically good for me.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:32 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of an acrylic extension table like sew steady or sounds like table mate(?). It makes a surface level with the machine for free motion quilting.
You guys are great!!!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I've used an acrylic extension table. It's okay, but a quilt can easily get caught on the table because it's so small. I much preferred using the homemade table because it has such a large, flat surface to hold the quilt while quilting.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:57 PM

I got mine from Sew Steady. I think they made it just for my machine, as it fits perfectly. It took about 2 weeks to get here, but I believe it said to allow three weeks. When I ordered it, I simply had to tell them what machine I have and what size I wanted. Folks on this board advised me to buy the biggest one I had room for. That was good advice.

I am quite happy with it. I had to get used to moving it when I changed the bobbin, but that may be peculiar to my machine (Pfatt Expression 2.0). I think my extension table is 24 inches by 18 inches...too lazy to actually measure it. It was either $65. or $85., can't remember which. I bought it in October, and there were smaller sizes that cost less.

Hope this info is helpful.

Dina
Old 01-23-2014, 06:46 PM

i also have a Sew Steady cut for my Pfaff Expression 4.0. i like it as i'm in temporary quarters. At home, i have a sewing desk with space for my sewing machine and my serger, which i like. Still have to put a card table behind it to catch a full size quilt when FMQ.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:33 AM

You guys are awesome.
Thank you so much for your help.
I guess I was being piggy as I wanted it to fit several different brands.
Thank you again. What a thoughtful group!!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wilquilter View Post
You guys are awesome.
Thank you so much for your help.
I guess I was being piggy as I wanted it to fit several different brands.
Thank you again. What a thoughtful group!!!!
Oh, then you need to do some googling. When I was researching, I found several that were labeled "universal" or something like that, and I borrowed one from my sister that we adjusted to fit my machine when I was trying to decide if I wanted one. I think the price was about the same as what I got.

What you want is out there.

Dina