Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inherited someone's stash tonight, but... >

Inherited someone's stash tonight, but...

Inherited someone's stash tonight, but...

Old 08-20-2012, 06:34 PM

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters

I wish there was some way to get it out of leather!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 PM

I am sorry for your sister in law's loss but how nice that they thought of you to enjoy the fabric!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
Add a cup of vinegar to the wash.
I agree that vinegar is your lucky ticket. Hopefully you can store the boxes outside until you are able to launder the items. For laces, and braids, etc. you might want to loop in hanks and tie in knee high nylon socks. I've put skeins of acrylic yarn in nylon knee highs to machine wash and dry. They come out beautifully clean and intact. Those nylons are cheap if you don't have a source of discarded pantyhose. :-)
Old 08-21-2012, 02:16 AM

The ammonia in the wash is the one sure fire remedy. Ammonia or Window cleaner with Ammonia are the only things that will remove nicotine stains from walls and washable surfaces. Lemon or plain ammonia is cheap and very effective. I'd rather wash the fabrics once and know the odor was gone.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:06 AM

For the unwashable items... I have crumpled up newspapers and put them around things and it soaks up the odor. My son vomited in my car (oh the joys of motherhood) and newspaper was the only thing that removed the odor. Crumple the papers so there is more surface area to absorb the odor.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:38 AM

55 gallon drum of Febreze......
Old 08-21-2012, 03:51 AM

Unfortunately, you are not just dealing with the smell, but the tars from the smoke as well. My mother was a smoker, and when I brought her stuff home, I had to wash it SEVERAL times. Some of the fabric had to be thrown out because I could never get the discoloration out. I use oxyclean which works wonderfully. Good luck, and keep the fabric outof the house till you get it cleaned, just like someone else said.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
For the unwashable items... I have crumpled up newspapers and put them around things and it soaks up the odor. My son vomited in my car (oh the joys of motherhood) and newspaper was the only thing that removed the odor. Crumple the papers so there is more surface area to absorb the odor.
Hopefully there's no more vomiting, lol, but if he ever does, dampen the area with water and cover liberally with ordinary salt, allow to dry, then hoover. Also works really well for milk spills, which smells rancid ​once it dries.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Missus Fear View Post
I wish there was some way to get it out of leather!
If you know someone who has one of those ozone machines you can get odors out of leather. We had 8, yes 8, skunks move in under our closed in front porch room. We had to move out of the house from Thanksgiving until New Years and had to clean EVERYTHING. Even the frozen food in the refrigerator had to go. The hardest things to get the odor out of was leather....belts, shoes, etc. We put the ozone machine and all the leather in a really big cardboard box and ran it for a whole day or more. It worked! Had to live trap the skunks and have them disposed of. Took several weeks to get them all. The guys who put our steel siding on had inadvertently removed a screen in the foundation of the porch.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 PM

Such wonderful ideas, in case I come across a good buy of "smelly" fabric, I might consider the purchase. Will wait to hear what works.