Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Input Requested >

Input Requested

Input Requested

Old 01-01-2014, 07:23 AM

Ive been using Fons and Porters flannel one, that cost about twenty dollars, for years and it works fine. Could have made one cheaper but that's no fun.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:48 AM

Thank all of you for the responses! I have both on hand, so I guess I'll just play with both and see which works best for me. That's one thing I love about quilting...there's always more than one way to do anything!!!
Happy New Year!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:57 AM

I used leftover W & N. Occasionally I'll spray some quilting spray over the entire surface if my blocks fall off. About once a month I take the vacuum to it to get all the loose threads off or at least most of them.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Donnamarie View Post
Personally, I don't have a design wall but I have heard of people using flannel backed tablecloths for this purpose.
This is what I used. Actually it is one of those pads you use under a tablecloth to protect your table and reduce noise, I think. Works very well and is cheap at Walmart. Having said that the only glitch was getting it flattened out and the fold lines smoothed down. I finally put it in my dryer with a fabric softener sheet which helped. You can't iron it, so hopefully it will keep relaxing with use.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:04 AM

I have a cheap beige acrylic full size blanket from walmart ( was less than $10.00). When I bought it I thought it was worth a try and if it didn't work I'd donate the blanket. Several years later it still works great. It's attached to the wall with command hooks and binder clips.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:23 AM

I too used the flannel tablecloths with the plastic against the wall. It works fantastically. I got mine for $1 each at the thrift store. I have had kaleidoscope blocks hanging on it for at least a month and they have not fallen off at all.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by dc989 View Post
This is what I used. Actually it is one of those pads you use under a tablecloth to protect your table and reduce noise, I think. Works very well and is cheap at Walmart. Having said that the only glitch was getting it flattened out and the fold lines smoothed down. I finally put it in my dryer with a fabric softener sheet which helped. You can't iron it, so hopefully it will keep relaxing with use.
If you toss it in the dryer just long enough to get it nice and hot, it will be flat and smooth if you then hang it on the wall right away.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
I just put my design wall up all I did was thumbtack up 2 oblong tablecloths to wall, with plastic side against wall. Attached my center panel and the one sample block and it is holding just fine. $4 tablecloths from walmart

[ATTACH=CONFIG]453903[/ATTACH]
Love this idea, and so reasonable!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Mine is an old, flannel backed picnic cloth. Learned this in the first quilting lesson I took in 2002 or so, and it is still perfect for my use. At the time I had never even heard of a design wall, and now I have had one for over 10 years.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:43 AM

My design wall is a fleece blanket suspended from a curtain rod by shower clips. I do need to vacuum it every once in a while and heavy blocks get pinned.

I use a flannel backed tablecloth to take projects back and forth to our weekly meeting.