Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Input Requested >
  • Input Requested

• Input Requested

Old 01-01-2014, 01:12 PM

I have tried them all. First, a flannel-backed tablecloth. It did not work well at all, nothing stuck to it and it was too small. Then I tried a flannel sheet, then flannel yardage. The blocks would fall off if someone walked by, or if you just looked at it. Not sticky at all. Then I put up some W&N batting, and that stuff works great! I simply tacked the batting onto the wall.
    Old 01-01-2014, 01:24 PM

I just put up a 7'x7' design wall by covering styrofoam insulation boards with warm and natural batting. It works great and I love the way it grabs and holds the fabric on it. The flannel I used to use sometimes didn't hold some fabrics well and they would fall off.
    Old 01-01-2014, 02:31 PM
    Sla

I also use a flannel backed table cloth. I have had it up on the wall for about four years and it still holds the fabric in place without using pins. They are cheap and I got mine at a dollar store.
    Old 01-01-2014, 05:10 PM

I made mine out of poster boards from Hobby Lobby and covered it with white flannel. It has served me well for over five years.
    Old 01-02-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Donnamarie
    Personally, I don't have a design wall but I have heard of people using flannel backed tablecloths for this purpose.
    That is what I have used, and when you get a lot threads sticking to here, or not holding my blocks any more Just replace it. cheaper too..
    Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 AM

I stapled a red checkered, flannel backed tablecloth that I got on clearance for 50 cents to the wall of my sewing room. It works great and an added bonus is that the red shows through and serves as sort of a grid. If you don't want to staple your walls, you could staple a tablecloth to your frame. I find that if you are careful removing the staples, the tiny holes are not noticeable. I used a regular desktop stapler and it holds fine.
    Old 01-02-2014, 07:09 AM

I use batting - when it gets too many strings I just use it up in a dark quilt! I have a row of nails that hang the batting from with binder clips, and then I tape the sides and bottom down with painter's tape. All very temporary and can be rolled up and stashed away (with work-in-progress still attached) if need be.

It works great until my big lumbering lummox of a dog comes by and wipes out half my blocks with her tail. Now I pin anything that's about waist-high or lower, LOL.
    Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 AM

I made the mistake of buying one of those miraculous design cloths, and it didn't work very long. Shortly after it quit working, I was spray basting a quilt and it dawned on me that the spray adhesive might work on a design wall - AND IT DOES! It lasts and lasts, too. And it doesn't leave adhesive goo on your blocks. I sprayed it on the offending miracle cloth, because it was the right size, but you could use anything that's the right size for you. Mine hangs on a dowel held up by large hooks.
    Old 01-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Donnamarie
    Personally, I don't have a design wall but I have heard of people using flannel backed tablecloths for this purpose.
    I have a huge flannel backed tablecloth hung on the wall. Have had a queen size log cabin (still in blocks) on it for several days and it held very well.
    Old 01-02-2014, 05:48 PM

Hmmmmm. . . I think I'll check into the vehicle headliner fabric. Never heard of using it before. Right now I have felt and my blocks are always falling off. It needs work!