Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Inspiration, encouragement...needing a pick me up!

Quote Originally Posted by SewMomma66
    I quilt because I love the process. It grounds me. No matter how much work you put into to this quilt. Remember we do this because we love it. You have to be happy with what you create. Instead of looking at this as it's a lot of work. Think about how happy you will be because you did it the way you wanted. He will love it either way but will you regret that you did not quilt it the way you wanted it presented? Does that make sense?
    That makes complete sense. I cut as many as I could with whole race cars. The rest, I made sure there were whole stars or whole crossed racing flags. I'm SOOO glad I decided to do it. While it was a LOT of work, I realized part of the way through that some of the strips I had sewn were cross cut incorrectly. Had I left them the original size, there would have been a lot of seam ripping, running out to try and buy more fabric, and probably a fair amount of cussing.

I think it's going to go together great now. The recipient is 7 with some developmental issues. It's not like he's going to sit and be cross because some of the cars are cut off. But I am DEFINITELY much, much happier with it.

Quote Originally Posted by katiescraftshop
    I don't think your crazy. Sometimes our DH's don't get it. Or at least mine doesn't. As sweet as they are, it's fabric to them.
    I actually enjoy fussy cutting and just think how happy the little boy will be to cuddle up under it when it's done. Once you get going it may not take as long to cut the 80 squares as you think.
    Sending hugs and smiles your way. :)
    I needed to make a quilt for a client using stars. I was SO bored cutting 160 triangles for star points, and then I lost the points when I sewed them (my own design error)! I put it aside and made another quilt for her instead.
    I finally decided to finish the first quilt for myself, added a flat welt and found THE PERFECT fabric for the borders, and now I'm in love with it -- except its pink and green, whereas I would prefer burgundy and blue. Oh well. My point is that I just needed to set it aside and I'd forgotten most of the frustrations when I went back to it

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    Hugs and chocolate and a little stiff drink should work...

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Sending hugs! I think you need some chocolate right now.
    Just think how happy the little boy will be with his quilt!
    ooh, ooh, I have chocolate, going to go and get us both a piece. I will eat yours so it doesn't go bad, yummy... There now, go get busy and feel the rush upon completion, best of journeys...

With myself, I break it down to making one row at a time and before I know it, I'm done. Good luck and here's a big hug. . .

I feel for you. If it helps my thoughts are with you. I hate fruseration.

Blog Entries
    Melissa
    W*O*R*K***F*R*O*M***T*H*E***H*E*A*R*T
    he will love it no matter what :)

If I lived near you, I'd be over in a heartbeat to help you fussy cut. .....and share chocolate......

Men don't understand our need for things to look really good.
    Sending hugs and hoping it comes out good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    OK ladies and gents, here goes.

Not this last Christmas, but the Christmas before I made my youngest sons D9P's as one of their gifts. Well, I made so many mistakes with those three that I had a really difficult time attempting to make another one.

Well, a girlfriend that I quilt with showed one she made using 4 or 4 1/2" strips instead of the big 6 1/2" ones I was using. It was such a darling baby quilt and I totally fell in love with that size. So, I whipped two out for my sons' teachers at his request. They both had babies this year.

Back to my problem....between that Christmas and this last fall I started another D9P for a wonderful little boy. I cut all the strips and had the strips sewn together. I made it as far as cross cutting the strips to prepare for the 9 patch...then got so scared of it, I just couldn't go back. I kept envisioning the nightmares those other quilts caused me. Fast forward to now....

So I pulled out the bag and decided that I was going to have to rip it all apart and start again. I about cried, but I looked at all this crap on my table for 3 full days before I decided to just go ahead and do it. So now I've ripped out all the seams and ended up with the squares. I made enough to make 20 blocks. So, I resized all the coordinating squares down to 4 1/2" and my faith in my abilities was partially restored.

Well, then I went to tackle the focus fabric and it's cars...little tiny racecars....well not tiny. That's my problem. I'm going to have to fussy cut each of these blankety blank blank cars to make sure their flags or wheels or sides aren't cut out or in the seam allowance. I'm so dang frustrated. There are 4 pieces in each block, 20 blocks, now I get to fussy cut 80 blankety blank blank cars!!

I just need to hear someone say something nice about this. Hubby thinks I'm putting too much work into such a small quilt. The boys mom used to be a really good friend of mine, but we seem to be growing apart a bit. I adore the little boy and want him to love his quilt...I just couldn't stand another minute of looking at it with the blocks that big.

So, am I a complete crazy person by wanting to rip it all out and start again? I wanted to save myself the nightmare of previous experience, but he's 7, it's not like he's going to know that it didn't look right. But I would know, so that's why I wanted to completely change it mid stream.

I CANNOT let this project turn into my first UFO. I usually only work on one project at a time, but some things have come up that both this one and his sisters was pushed to the back burner. I want to finish them both (the other is a patriotic Soduku that is just AWESOME) before I get going on my projects for this year since they are already a year in the making. I just couldn't get going on them, know what I mean?

I am just so dang frustrated!
    When you are finished, you will see a child with sparkles in his eyes. It would be worth it to me. Take a break. Calm down, and remember a journey of a thousand steps, begins with step 1. Blessed be. -Kelly

Gee my problem is that I don't have time to do any quilts right now. And if I don't get some made and sell them we'll go under financially.

Also I'm not that good...
    Won a couple prizes in VERY small local group but that's it.

Blog Entries
    You can do it. One step...er... block at a time. Deep breaths! Chocolate if breathing doesn't work! LOL

Seems like we are always our own worst critic. Slowly agonizing over the blocks probably makes it seem so much worse too. I know it does for me and I am wrestling with one of these "problems" right now. Once you start the fussy cutting and get things moving, you'll do fine. Just keep thinking how happy the little boy will be with his quilt. :lol:

Blog Entries
    No, you are not crazy. Even though the quilt might be for someone else, it still represents you and if you feel that it's not right and want to fix it, go ahead. I am that way, I use my seam ripper all the time. It's all about how we feel about our work, not what someone else thinks. Go for it girl and good luck.

It is time consuming, but as a fabric artist you must do what you know is best for the finished quilt. You care a lot and that shows, so I think you should just take your time and fussy cut the 80 cars. I do something else while cutting fussy cuts, like singing, praying, planning, etc. It certainly helps get through the cutting process.

I recently almost gave up on a Civil War quilt I was doing, but the encouragement of the ladies and gents on the board really helped me and I finished it and got some very nice comments. So please forge ahead and you will be happy you did. We want to see a photo of it when the top is done.

Blog Entries
    Please don't fret I have been working to get a Steelers Quilt done for MDH I had to give it to my friend(she is Steelers fan) to work on.The colors depress me and I just loose intrest (I am not a steelers fan)So Hubby's b-day past again and still no Quilt and still my life goes on and onto other things Just keep Smiling

Blog Entries
    I forgot to mention I had the quit as a WIP for 4 long yrs
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie k
    Please don't fret I have been working to get a Steelers Quilt done for MDH I had to give it to my friend(she is Steelers fan) to work on.The colors depress me and I just loose intrest (I am not a steelers fan)So Hubby's b-day past again and still no Quilt and still my life goes on and onto other things Just keep Smiling

Dearest M. I know how you must be feeling about now. I had one I kept hidden away for are you ready,20 years. One day I was moveing it again. I took a long look at it. Then I sat down took it all apart and used the beautiful pieces in several new quilts I wanted to keep. I know your Randy is very supportive and I also have seen your stupendous quilts. You can do it It is easy to try to take on too much. After all you are the Mom of a great little Chef. So give it a rest then go back and look at it. You can do it. Lots of love from here in Leflore co,Ok.

Melissa, I am so glad you did the fussy cutting as you wanted to do..I am sure it'll be darling. Can't wait to see photos.

Just take a minute and sit down and think about what you feel comfortable doing and how his little face will light up when he sees the quilt. Then proceed as if you had never had a problem before. You are spending too much time being afraid of the process. So you make a mistake or two. You can either fix the error or make another block, no big deal. Kids don't seek perfection. You can do it! Quilt on!

Thanks Helen and Candi.

I slapped on the borders of my newest top yesterday, so that one is done. I HAVE to get that sucker quilted this weekend. Once that's done, I'll start stitching together this one and you'll see all the WIP pics!

Thanks again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2