Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inspiration, encouragement...needing a pick me up!

OK ladies and gents, here goes.

Not this last Christmas, but the Christmas before I made my youngest sons D9P's as one of their gifts. Well, I made so many mistakes with those three that I had a really difficult time attempting to make another one.

Well, a girlfriend that I quilt with showed one she made using 4 or 4 1/2" strips instead of the big 6 1/2" ones I was using. It was such a darling baby quilt and I totally fell in love with that size. So, I whipped two out for my sons' teachers at his request. They both had babies this year.

Back to my problem....between that Christmas and this last fall I started another D9P for a wonderful little boy. I cut all the strips and had the strips sewn together. I made it as far as cross cutting the strips to prepare for the 9 patch...then got so scared of it, I just couldn't go back. I kept envisioning the nightmares those other quilts caused me. Fast forward to now....

So I pulled out the bag and decided that I was going to have to rip it all apart and start again. I about cried, but I looked at all this crap on my table for 3 full days before I decided to just go ahead and do it. So now I've ripped out all the seams and ended up with the squares. I made enough to make 20 blocks. So, I resized all the coordinating squares down to 4 1/2" and my faith in my abilities was partially restored.

Well, then I went to tackle the focus fabric and it's cars...little tiny racecars....well not tiny. That's my problem. I'm going to have to fussy cut each of these blankety blank blank cars to make sure their flags or wheels or sides aren't cut out or in the seam allowance. I'm so dang frustrated. There are 4 pieces in each block, 20 blocks, now I get to fussy cut 80 blankety blank blank cars!!

I just need to hear someone say something nice about this. Hubby thinks I'm putting too much work into such a small quilt. The boys mom used to be a really good friend of mine, but we seem to be growing apart a bit. I adore the little boy and want him to love his quilt...I just couldn't stand another minute of looking at it with the blocks that big.

So, am I a complete crazy person by wanting to rip it all out and start again? I wanted to save myself the nightmare of previous experience, but he's 7, it's not like he's going to know that it didn't look right. But I would know, so that's why I wanted to completely change it mid stream.

I CANNOT let this project turn into my first UFO. I usually only work on one project at a time, but some things have come up that both this one and his sisters was pushed to the back burner. I want to finish them both (the other is a patriotic Soduku that is just AWESOME) before I get going on my projects for this year since they are already a year in the making. I just couldn't get going on them, know what I mean?

I am just so dang frustrated!

I don't think your crazy. Sometimes our DH's don't get it. Or at least mine doesn't. As sweet as they are, it's fabric to them.
    I actually enjoy fussy cutting and just think how happy the little boy will be to cuddle up under it when it's done. Once you get going it may not take as long to cut the 80 squares as you think.
    Sending hugs and smiles your way. :)

Blog Entries
    I am sorry you feel so bad. I am not the one to give you A answer but you keep watching post on here and you will get all kinds answers. In mean time set back and relax. I am sure when its done it will be beautiful !

Sending hugs! I think you need some chocolate right now.
    Just think how happy the little boy will be with his quilt!

I too agree with katiescraftshop.......
    My DH hates for me to spend that much extra time on something......To me it is OUR creative mind going to work to make it better......
    You go and do it your way and [[[bighugs]]] and we are here for you........

Blog Entries
    Is there any way that you can select a few of the spots where you are planning on putting the "80 blankety blank blank cars!!" ??? Maybe just fussy cut 20 of them and let the other 60 fall where they may, but position the 'pretty' ones in strategic positions??
    It sounds like it's going to be darling!

I agree--some chocolate will help you feel better. If you're fine with ripping it out, then that's what you should do. Good luck!

or you do not have to fussy cut, and however it turns out, it turns out. but if you really must have the fussy cut, then do it, otherwise you will not be content with the final result. quilting should be relaxing - remember that.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I lay the fabric pieces on top of each other and fussy cut them together. Watch the thickness though. Its fast. Youc an do it and yes the time is so worth the love and time you put into each of your quilts. When you are done, you will be so proud and glad you did it. Giving you a little "nudge" to get it done. Great day for quilting, we have rain here. Love to see it when you are done. *H*U*GS*
    Nudge Nudge.....YOuc an do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a coke. Works for me. LOL
    Name:  Attachment-126381.gif
Views: 45
Size:  19.2 KB

You might want to take a small break before you tackle it. Maybe a nice calm walk or chocolate!! You can do this.

Blog Entries
    The smile on the little boy's face will make it worthwhile.

If you were a drinking women I would make a suggestion for a good strong one! But that never really solved anything.
    Give it a rest .... and come back after you have recouped ! I do believe chocolate has strong healing properties , so does cheesecake!
    Yes it will be worth it when you are done.

Hey girlfriend, I feel your anguish! The way I cope with hand cutting hundreds of tiny pieces for the cards I make, is to break the job down into small parts. I then reward myself when each part is finished.

Are the cars different colors? Can you cut out all the red cars then do something else? Go back in a bit and cut all the blue ones then take another break. Bite sized pieces are much easier to chew and you'll be all done before you realize what happened!! I know you can do this and it will be a grand quilt when you're done. ;)

I knew you guys would help. Need all the nudging I can get!

I sorted them all out on my table....did some dishes, took out the trash, used my 8 year old grounded one for hard labor, now back to it!

Since I know I won't have the time to quilt my newest top this weekend, I'll spend my time cutting. When the cutting is done, they'll get all stacked and happy like the first set I did. I have all the squares cut and stacked and ready to sew for the center strip in all the 9 patches. The other two rows is what I'll be cutting now. Then, NEXT WEEKEND, I'll be able to donate all my time to the quilting I need to do and I'll take a bit of a break before I get the stitching done.

At least I'm not wanting to pull my hair out now.

Thank you!

I'll try and post pics as I go.

Power Poster
    Once you settle down and get to working on the blocks again, you will see that you won't have any problems. At least tell yourself that. You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    I knew you guys would help. Need all the nudging I can get!

I sorted them all out on my table....did some dishes, took out the trash, used my 8 year old grounded one for hard labor, now back to it!

Since I know I won't have the time to quilt my newest top this weekend, I'll spend my time cutting. When the cutting is done, they'll get all stacked and happy like the first set I did. I have all the squares cut and stacked and ready to sew for the center strip in all the 9 patches. The other two rows is what I'll be cutting now. Then, NEXT WEEKEND, I'll be able to donate all my time to the quilting I need to do and I'll take a bit of a break before I get the stitching done.

At least I'm not wanting to pull my hair out now.

Thank you!

I'll try and post pics as I go.
    Love the idea of using the grounded one for hard labor. If you don't mind I might steal that idea. :twisted:

Blog Entries
    Sorry you are having a time with this quilt. How about just working on it for 10 min. and stopping, do something else until it finally clicks. Don't be hard on yourself. Do it for the love of doing it..

After cutting all afternoon, I now have all 80 blankety blank blank cars cut. The ones I couldn't fussy cut, I just decided to cut the cars however and center it around the flags instead. Then cut down the 40 coordinating squares. Now I have all 180 squares cut. Maybe this week I'll get some of them stitched together. The stitching will be the easy part. The hardest parts are done.

I'm not totally satisfied with how the focus fabs ended up cut, but I'm mostly happy with it. Happy enough to get it done for the little guy anyway. I don't think I'll hate looking at it when it's down now.

Thanks again for the nudges...sure needed them. Will post WIP pics once I get going.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Is there any way that you can select a few of the spots where you are planning on putting the "80 blankety blank blank cars!!" ??? Maybe just fussy cut 20 of them and let the other 60 fall where they may, but position the 'pretty' ones in strategic positions??
    I really like this idea. I used to do graphic arts layout in my other life. I was always changing something to make it better. My husband used to say, "Let it alone!" But I was taught way too many years ago, "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing right. That is why I'm sitting here ripping right now.

Love ya.

Quite a job, but think about the top when you have them all sewed together. I can see it! My DH has a fit when I rip anything apart. I have to ask him to be quiet or leave the room where I'm working. If I'm knitting in front of the TV, I leave the room.

I dont think you are crazy. I know about being frustrated in trying to get a project looking perfect. There are times when I just shove everything into the closet and pull out my crocheting for several months. I finally return to the ufo and complete the project to the best of my abilities. If you ever look at old antique quilts, these ladies never had the modern tools and conviences we have today and their their corners, points, etc would never meet perfectly. It is a product of the modern world that we thing that everything has to be perfect and if it is not it is not worthy of anyones attention. Keep the faith and don't give up on yourself or your abilities. Jeanniebelle

Banned
    I like this idea!

Blog Entries
    Sorry you are having such a tough time. Keep at it, you won't be happy any other way. If it feels good it will come out good. Sending you lots of HUGS!!! :-)

Blog Entries
    This is a good suggestion! Or, can you just fussy cut 10 a day before you begin working on a different project? I always have 5 or 6 projects going at a time so I don't get bored doing the same thing.

I quilt because I love the process. It grounds me. No matter how much work you put into to this quilt. Remember we do this because we love it. You have to be happy with what you create. Instead of looking at this as it's a lot of work. Think about how happy you will be because you did it the way you wanted. He will love it either way but will you regret that you did not quilt it the way you wanted it presented? Does that make sense?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast