Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inspiration needed please...

Ok... now I'm getting really carried away. Been playing some more, after laying it out on the floor last night and deciding I really like it, I started to wonder if I could make it a bit bigger.

Is another border too much?
    You don't have to be polite... I'm very new to this designing thing, so will appreciate all honest opinions! :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow -- that will be gorgeous!

I love that border, but it kind of distracts from your stars.

That's what I thought... but how badly does it detract, cause I really like the yellow. lol

It's difficult to imagine, but the stars are a lot brighter and crisper in real life, the blocks in this image are photographed and then scanned into EQ, so they've lost a lot of sparkle.

Blog Entries
    Hey Blue...I love your border design but I agree...it is so beautiful that is does take all the attention away from the stars. I don't know if removing the yellow (sorry) would tone it down a bit or if you just need to use that wonderful border on something else and find a different one for this quilt. But.....its your quilt, so you can do anything YOU want !! :wink:

Blog Entries
    I think it's getting too busy, and the yellow in the border is stronger in value than the white in the stars. My eyes startsin the center but settle on the outside border.

I think the first version is beautiful. Although I do kind of like the additional border in the second, but don't think I would go that drastic with the yellow, perhaps two of your blues (dark/medium perhaps).

WOW I Love the added border. I think the yellow frames the stars and makes your eyes go around the quilt in a coil like pattern...sorry not saying what I mean :? you know going around and seeing each star till you get to the center.
    I love loud bright active so I might not be the one to listen to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    Ok... now I'm getting really carried away. Been playing some more, after laying it out on the floor last night and deciding I really like it, I started to wonder if I could make it a bit bigger.

Is another border too much?
    You don't have to be polite... I'm very new to this designing thing, so will appreciate all honest opinions! :-)
    I think this is taking away from the beauty of the stars. I agree with whoever said to go back to the white setting triangles so you can do some lovely quilting to complement your beautiful stars! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you everyone, for your input. It's so awesome being able to get opinions of so many people, without leaving home! LOL

I'm starting to get the hang of being "technically correct", in which case the extra border is too much. But on the other hand, I'm also starting to realise (again) that if this is for me, I'm the only one who has to like it. In which case, I'm loving this border! LOL

I laid it out on my bed last night (just all the stars together, no border yet) and it reaches the sides quite nicely, so any border is going to hang down the sides of the bed. And in the picture I've swapped the yellow and white in the little triangles, so there's less yellow and more white. And I do like it.

I'm not entirely convinced I can actually make this border, but I'm going to have a go and make one, then lay it out and see what I think. If I don't like it, I will put it with something else, no doubt.

Blog Entries
    I'm loving this border!
    ...and that's all that matters. (thumbsup)

In the beginning of my quilting, I allowed a rather zealous quiltzilla at a quilt store to talk me into a fabric that (while pretty) did not provide the same result as my choice would have. She said that my color was unconventional and the pattern called for something traditional.

I'm glad you follow your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I'm glad you follow your heart.
    I do feel a little disloyal... asking for opinions then ignoring them! LOL

I have taken all the comments on board though, it's all learning, and funnily enough I agree with the technical comments about detracting from the centre, etc.

But when I look at the whole pattern, and the top laid out in my sewing room, I just love it and my gut says "do it!" Now that I've decided it's for our bed, I can't wait to get it done. It will brighten the room so much, and we're heading into winter here too. Some nice bright yellow is just what the doctor ordered! lol

Blog Entries
    I do feel a little disloyal... asking for opinions then ignoring them!
    Nope, you didn't ignore them, you just had your own (and your own opinion ALWAYS gets double points) - lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Nope, you didn't ignore them, you just had your own (and your own opinion ALWAYS gets double points) - lol.
    LOL

I'll remember that!

:-)

I do feel a little disloyal... asking for opinions then ignoring them! LOL
    HEY what am I chopped liver???????
    geeeeee I go back into the corner looking over shoulder smiling yeap it is going to be very pretty

Blog Entries
    No disloyalty - you asked, and we gave a lot of different ideas. I expect it all helped you make up your mind, and I'm sure you'll be happier with your choice now that you've 'listened' to all these thoughts. The yellow will definitely brighten up your winter!

Quote Originally Posted by MsSage
    HEY what am I chopped liver???????
    geeeeee I go back into the corner looking over shoulder smiling yeap it is going to be very pretty
    Never chopped liver dude, you can be my new bestest friend, seeing as you have the same outstanding taste as me! ;-) LOL

Blog Entries
    Be sure and post pictures when you finish, Blue Chicken. As you know, we LOVE pictures.

Blog Entries
    Blue...thats what I said!!!! ITS YOUR QUILT!!!! Do whatever you please. You have the true fabrics in front of you, so only you can make the best decision. I ask for opinions all the time and sometimes its just so that I can confirm that I was right all along!! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Blue--you asked for opinions and that is what we give, but in the end they are our opinions and just a sounding board for you. When I started, I was told to always put yellow toward the center because your eye goes to the yellow. Do I always follow the advice? No!!! I am currently working on a black and white (with splash of yellow) for my aunt that will have yellow in the borders. One tip when doing borders----lay out your quilt, then put the fabrics you are wondering about by it to imitate the border. That will give you a good idea of how the fabric will work in a border. Like Sandpat said, you have the true colors before you and it is your quilt. Even a slight change in value can make a difference in appearance. Can't wait to see what you decide.

Blog Entries
    love the blue and white stars - would not change the triangles - they look great as shown!! Also like the lower right cornor star and would like to know the name!
    Also like the first star in the 4th row that makes circle! What is the name of that one?
    Thanks

LOOKS GREAT

Quote Originally Posted by kd124
    Blue--you asked for opinions and that is what we give, but in the end they are our opinions and just a sounding board for you. When I started, I was told to always put yellow toward the center because your eye goes to the yellow. Do I always follow the advice? No!!! I am currently working on a black and white (with splash of yellow) for my aunt that will have yellow in the borders. One tip when doing borders----lay out your quilt, then put the fabrics you are wondering about by it to imitate the border. That will give you a good idea of how the fabric will work in a border. Like Sandpat said, you have the true colors before you and it is your quilt. Even a slight change in value can make a difference in appearance. Can't wait to see what you decide.
    If I was going to do it again, I would have made a centre medallion type star with the blue, white, and yellow in it. But that didn't occur to me till I had all the stars together, so too late now! lol
    I've been away for the weekend, so haven't done any more on it. Am hoping to start the borders tonight. :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast