Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inspiration needed >

Inspiration needed

Inspiration needed

Old 05-04-2016, 01:34 AM

I quilt for myself because it gives me joy. I have no children. Sometimes I swap. Whatever happens to my quilts after I am gone is not my concern. For me -- It only matters that I enjoyed making them.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:18 AM

you need to do what makes you happy... Quilting is an outlet for me. Sometimes I enjoy the quietness in my sewing room and other times I enjoy classes or sew a longs with friendly faces at our LQS. I own two retail businesses and could work 24 hrs 7 days a week but I allow myself the time to quilt and exercise!

I make quilts and projects for family and friends but I also enjoy doing charity projects... although I am limited on how much I can sew, it makes me feel good to be able to donate my time and talent.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:25 AM

I love to quilt also. I would continue doing what I love but I would give the quilts away. Many charities want a lovely quilt for raffles to earn money. Other charities simply need them to give away for comfort or warmth.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:41 AM

My kids are going to fight over my quilts when I'm gone. And the quilting girls will swarm over my sewing room grabbing what they can. I quilt because it makes me happy. It sounds like someone was grousing about the mess. I also don't give quilts to people who won't appreciate them. Save them for people who will.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:51 AM

Have you considered looking at the member swaps on this board? Here are people who would really appreciate what you make.
[h=2]Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins[/h]
Old 05-04-2016, 12:48 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas and good wishes and prayers! I hadn't even stepped foot in my sewing room in too many days, and went in there yesterday and just started chain piecing 1and 1/2 inch squares that I'll make into a scrap quilt. I did some more of that today and it just brings me peace, so to the heck with them! I have several old quilts from unknown quilters and I cherish everyone one of them.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:09 PM

I too am in a slump right now or I should say I WAS until yesterday when I was mindlessly surfing the internet looking for SOMETHING.... I happened on to a website called quiltpatternmagazine.com They are a group (any body can join no $$$) that makes Kennel Quilts for small cat/dog carriers. What REALLY caught my eye was a free pattern for an ORPHAN BLOCK quilts. I am sure that almost ALL of have a few ORPHANS in a drawer somewhere, right?? Very quick, easy and simple. Most of my orphans were already 12 1/2 x 12 1/2 square so all I had to do was add a border or 2, sew it "BIRTHING" style (no binding) close it up and voila ! A 12 x 18 finished Kennel Quilt is born... I have made 8 yesterday and today.... There is a list so that you can find a shelter near you to donate to (I would call them first to make sure they are in NEED!) or they list several shelters that have contacted the them because they are in great need of quilts due to flooding and puppies being rescued from unhealthy places. I don't know if this is allowed here on QB but I hope this type of information is. No matter WHAT organization people donate to, any quilts are always appreciated. so "quilt on" all my QB friends.... and Bless you all for being so generous with your time and talents.....
Old 05-04-2016, 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=Jcarpentier;7538862]First of all I am so sorry you are going through some negative thoughts about quilting. For me, I quilt for the pleasure of it. I usually make quilts as gifts and have considered donating some as well. You could check to see if there is a Project Linus around you. I hear they are always in need of blankets either quilts, crocheted, or knitted. There are some guidelines so be sure to check those out before beginning. I hope you work through your troubles and it is my belief quilting and being creative will help with that. Maybe you should just focus on the process of quilting and why you enjoy it.[/QUOTE

Such a nice response.. I agree with every word.. I am usually working on a project for someone else, and I do sometimes worry where it will end up.. or used.. but I enjoy the process so that helps to motivate me.. hope you
can get back into it soon..
Old 05-04-2016, 05:13 PM

Maybe you just need a break from quilting.
I found myself slightly burned out on making quilts so I've turned to smaller things like runners, placemats, & even fabric flowers. Currently making tulips. I don't quilt so somebody will consider it an heirloom. I do it because I love the process. I just need to create.
My family have all the quilts they can use for now. My plan was to do donation quilts til I considered the costs of all the parts. Yes I have a good stash but I can't throw just anything on for backing. I buy batting by the bolt.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:13 AM

It seems that the list of people and organizations who would like quilts is endless. If you search around, you will find someone who would rejoice to have a quilt made by you. In the mountains of NC, our guild made "burn out" quilts as we had so many home fires. We gave to the police also as children were often removed from their homes due to unsafe conditions.