Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inspiration needed >

Inspiration needed

Inspiration needed

Old 05-03-2016, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
People are always asking me who the quilt is for. My reply the dogs. My dogs and cats love and appreciate the quilts I make. More than my relatives who just say thank you and it is never seen again.
i quilt because I enjoy it and I am always looking for a new technique or challenging pattern to stimulate me, and my pleasure.
My two Chocolate Labs have quilts in the living room to take naps on. Animals love them, I need to make some new ones for them. I agree about people not really liking quilt gifts but animals love us for our gifts. Now I only make quilts for myself/dogs and need to make some for charities before the fall.
Jan
Old 05-03-2016, 09:17 AM

you may find that if you make a couple smaller projects and donate them, your batteries will get recharged and you'll feel better about your gifts. A couple of the organizations I give to are the NICU at our children's hospital and a group in my area that has funeral services for abandoned infants. Both only want very small quilts (they may have to discard the NICU quilts and they bury the infants swaddled in theirs). But it feels very good to know that you have given some comfort to these babies. Check with the volunteer group at your local hospital for more info. Also, make throw size blankets and give them to the local battered women's shelter or the police dept to give to children in a time of crisis. I put them in closed plastic bags and the police dept can have a couple in their trunk to give out (some fire depts do them same). It really helps these children to feel safer if they can wrap up in their own blanket and keep it. I am sorry for whatever the problem you are experiencing with your family, hopefully it will pass.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by jjs56 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for this and I apologize if it isn't. I need some inspiration and ideas to keep quilting. Family drama has left me wondering if my quilts will simply be thrown away when I die and I wonder "why bother", but quilting is my passion. Do any of you quilt just for yourselves? If you quilt for charities, which ones? Do you worry about where your quilts will end up? Thanks!

I quilt for myself. I do make quilts -- and other quilted things -- for family and others, and other gifts, as well. But it's currently my creative outlet (I also write and paint but quiltmaking is currently "it") so even if I never gave anything away, I'd probably do it.

I hope the things I've made might be kept after I'm gone, but I can't control that....and won't know it, anyway! And if I knew they'd all go in the trash, I'd still do what I do. I've created many things over the years. I know my family can't or won't keep all of them.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

For me, quilting is also my passion and has been since my kids were in grade school, they are now 38 and 41, so you see it's been a while. I started making quilts for our bi-annual family reunions every other July 4th, over 20 years ago. I would pick a theme, they would send fabric and the quilt was raffled off to the lucky winner. I do this for myself mostly, to leave a part of myself behind within the family. I have quilted for various charities, making baby quilts for my daughter to give to friends, making and donating quilts for my church's holiday fair to be raffled off, and just because. I hope my quilts will be used and well loved, except for the family dog (don't ask, I'm still upset about it) to lie on; but I make quilts for my love of quilting, it is my passion in life.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:37 AM

Ah family drama. My heart goes out to you. I've been quilting for 20+ years and my own mother has never noticed or said wow. I have made and given a few quilts to family members that have expressed an interest in having a quilt. I have actually put in my will who gets what quilts. My "adopted" daughter thinks it's odd but okay that I have also requested one quilt that is my favorite and the first quilt I made for my hubby be cremated with each of us and if that's not possible then the two are to be burned. I believe that she will follow my wishes since she loves my quilts but if the all get sent to Goodwill I'll be dead and it becomes a mute point
I do give quilts to kids coming out of foster care at age 18 for this reason:
Every year, almost 30,000 kids age out of the foster care system after childhoods when many move from house to house and school to school. For most foster kids, the day they turn 18, they're suddenly on their own, responsible to find a place to live, manage their money, their shopping, their clothing, their food and try to continue their education, all when most of their peers still get help from mom and dad.
The kids are overwhelmed that someone would hand make a gift for them and are so appreciative.
I make quilts for myself and they are the expression of my soul, my heart, my joys and my sorrows. I hope you find peace with this issue.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:53 AM

Hi, I guess I am in a similar situation myself. I love designing and making the top of a quilt. I guess because I am creative and love that part. But I do not enjoy the quilting phase. So I have several tops with nothing else. I even have one that is all sandwiched, and has been for 8 or 9 years. I've taken a diversion into making purses and totes, and am enjoying that very much. Why not try it.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

This is a great idea among others. You could check out the color palette of the home and possibly make a log cabin quilt or even just a patch. Maybe the family would have some family clothing to really make it theirs ot make the quilt.[QUOTE=PAMAR;7538877]There are so many charities that would love to have your quilts. In addition to Linus quilts
Old 05-03-2016, 12:24 PM

Family drama, or as I'd rather refer to it, family/life sometimes has to take priority and I don't get to piece or quilt as often as I'd like. I know that I'll come back to it, as I enjoy it so much. There are times when I can't make time, it's ok. I do quilt for myself. If I just feel like making something small, I make a nursery quilt and donate it to the Special Care Nursery (NICU) where I work. The women are always excited to see me walking in with one. They hold onto it until a special child/family 'speaks' to them. The women know that the quilts I make are for them to give away as they seem fit. I do not worry about what will happen to the quilts I make as I'm happy to make them. I'd suggest not worrying too much about things you can not control and enjoy the process of making them! I hope your family drama clears up soon! Happy quilting/piecing!
Old 05-03-2016, 01:04 PM

I started quilting after I became disabled from an incident at my work. It gave me a new purpose in my life which was greatly needed at that time. I chose some outreach opportunities that had special meaning to me and started making comfort quilts. Since 2010, I have made and given away over 150 quilts. My quilts cannot be bought nor earned. Occasionally, someone sends me a random donation to my fabric/shipping fund but I will never quote a price for a quilt nor do I take orders. I, like linda8450, hope to take a break from comfort quilts this year and make a quilt to keep for our bed. I'm wanting to make the Blooming 9 Patch!
Old 05-03-2016, 05:38 PM

Look at http://alyciaquilts.blogspot.com/ at the QOV presentations and read the comments of the recipients. I make comfort quilts for people undergoing serious illnesses or treatment. The thank you cards make me weep. Look at confessionsofabricaddict.blogspot.com and her quilt ministry. Right now is the Hands2Help challenge for donations. People love quilts especially when they are going through hard times. There are many worthy places to plug into and I always make the best quilts for these recipients. I am honored to be a quilter because of the people who receive my quilts.