Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inspiration needed >

Inspiration needed

Inspiration needed

Old 05-02-2016, 12:28 PM

You all are so caring. You've made me cry, but good tears. Thank you all. I will quilt on. I just can't let these people take this away from me.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:29 PM

I quilt for myself. I am "queen of the tops" as I never like to finish my quilts and am happy with just piecing tops. I guess I am "jaded" as I really don't give a fig what my kids (2 boys with wives and a step-daughter) will do with my quilting "legacy". It really won't matter to me in the end...(boy, I sound cynical!)

If you are so inclined, there are many, many great charities out there who would love your quilts. Thankfully, my guild supports a couple of charities, and my guild has no problem finishing tops (there are folks out there who love to sandwich, quilt and bind). I've even given my stray blocks to the guild and they have made them into tops to give.

Do whatever moves you. There is absolutely nothing wrong nor is it selfish to quilt for yourself!

So sorry you are going through a rough patch right now. Hugs, prayers and good thoughts are being sent your way from rainy New Hampshire.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by jjs56 View Post
Not sure if this is the right place for this and I apologize if it isn't. I need some inspiration and ideas to keep quilting. Family drama has left me wondering if my quilts will simply be thrown away when I die and I wonder "why bother", but quilting is my passion. Do any of you quilt just for yourselves? If you quilt for charities, which ones? Do you worry about where your quilts will end up? Thanks!
My hobbies give me a lot of joy. I usually gift the quilts, but do other sewing for the local animal shelter. Sometimes after a large project like a quilt, I will take a break from quilting, but may continue sewing smaller projects for instant gratification so to speak.
I do not worry too much about the quilts after I gift them, mostly because by the time I am finished with one (always at least a queen size), I am almost sick of it anyway. I am ready to break away to something else.

If you need to take a break from your hobby, then by all means do so. I don't think it is a good idea to push yourself if you really don't want to do it right now. You will return to it if and when you are ready.

Last edited by slbram17; 05-02-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Hope your family issues settle down - if they are "fixable" - and you are part of the problem - do what you can to make the situation better.

If the things are totally beyond your control - do what you can to keep yourself sane.

I do not think it is selfish to do things for oneself - as long as they do not cost or hurt anyone else.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:16 PM

Depending on where you live, as many have said, there are soooo many good sources for your quilts.

I tell me people that I don't make quilts for people (family included) because I don't like anyone that much. Partially true but partially in jest.

I make quilts because I want to make quilts...pure and simple. No other reason needed.

When I do give a quilt...it is gone....what they do with it is up to them. I made it with love and attention and set it free. If they lay on the garage and change oil with it...that is up to them. If they cover a mattress when moving...that is up to them. If they give it to the dogs/cats... blah blah blah. Take it to the beach, on a picnic, make a fort in the front room -- I want it used...not put up, not set on a shelf or in a bag -- use that sucker, I can always make more.

The Neonatal units are in need of bright blankets or sheets for the beds to help bring joy and color into a depressing and stressful time. We made wild pillowcases to send overseas to my son's unit so they'd have a little piece of home. We make quilts and backpacks for children that are removed from drug homes because they can't take anything with them.

Do what makes your heart happy. If it makes someone else happy along the way, that is an added benefit.

Do I sound selfish? Maybe, but darnit, I finally figured out I'm worth it and NO ONE is going to take away my inner joy.

Quilt away - love yourself
Old 05-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

Quilting is MY passion too. I am the only person still alive in my family so I mainly make charity quilts. I am currently making baby quilts and quilts for people in wheelchairs thru a church group of quilters and knitters. I also make some quilts for foster kids. I don't worry who is going to get them or if they don't want to take care of them. They are like a child, you birth them and then send them on their happy way. I hope that they make someone very happy. I hope 100 years from now, that one of my quilts will be on the Antique Roadshow!

You also need to laugh once a day. I find that is the best medicine to keep the blues away.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
I have been sewing since 4yrs old, now 72. Never quilted until about 10 years ago, and I have made grandkids and kids quilts as well as friends, gifts for special folks (lady took me on a cruise, she got a quilt!) and Quilts of Valor, our local women's outreach for new mothers, and several hospitals. I JUST made the very first quilt for ME! I think there are lots of people out there that would cherish your creations...fire victims, hospice patients, chemo and radiation patients, assisted iiving residents, children's foster care programs. The list goes on and on. I have enough stash fabric and scraps that I could make 40 more quilts without spending any more on fabric! I bet you do to. Sewing soothes me. Do what you love, make a pile of pretties, and share them as you see fit. Hugs.
You said it perfectly! I could have said the same.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

If you enjoy quilting but worry about what will happen to them when you are gone, be sure to spread them around to those that appreciate them now. My family likes my quilts but I also make them for friends or others that simply enjoy them. I also donate to preemie babies, hospice and the military. Sure many might not be treasured as much as I would hope but I think many others will or at least they will provide joy and pleasure to those that are using them now. I would not let it take away the joy you have in quilting. Maybe family will not appreciate them but others will. Maybe you can also designate a friend to take all quilts still left when you pass and he/she could donate them to a cause you picked.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:00 PM

Quilts are neat things, really. Just because they are not loved or appreciated when given doesn't mean they won't be in the next generation.

There is a lady near me that taught me a lot about quilting and one day years ago she showed me a quilt she was making for a dear friend. It was a pink hearts quilt. She gave that quilt away and I thought no more of it. The sweet lady that received the quilt years later had a stroke and the family had to downsize her stuff. The family offered her quilts to family members that wanted them and her granddaughter received several. This granddaughter of hers is sentimental and loves quilts and handmade items. That granddaughter is married to my son and I was thrilled one day when she showed me the quilts that she had been given and there was that pink heart quilt still in new condition at their house. I thought that was wonderful and that quilt is now being used in her daughter's, my granddaugher's room. I told the lady that made that quilt where it now is and she smiled, she no longer makes quilts, health issues.

Make them because you love them and give them to people you love. It'll be okay.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:13 PM

I quilt because I enjoy it and the time I spend quilting is like taking a mini vacation. I gift the majority of my quilts to family and friends. While I hope they will use them and enjoy them I do not worry about what happens to one after I place it in their care.

The kids who are placed with Child Protective Services go into the foster homes with little or nothing of their own. They would love to receive a quilt they could call their own. I assure you it would place a huge smile on their face, and they would love and care for it for years to come.