Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are instructions wrong?? >

Are instructions wrong??

Are instructions wrong??

Old 05-18-2016, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I don't want to steal this thread, but it brings up a problem I had recently. When making pinwheel blocks I cut them a little larger than needed and when I cut them down, I lost the points and the 1/4 inch allowance. What did I do wrong?
probably a case were the smaller unit (the HST) blocks should have been squared before sewing into a pinwheel--when you square after sewing together you are squaring up the larger block which already has 4 HST that are little too large--which means the seams &points for each is not where it should be. I'm often lazy about doing this unit squaring detail and ALWAYS pay the price--best reason for doing a sample block first.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:40 AM

I, too, had checked the site for corrections but, as you said, only goes back to 2005. You probably already found this out but, if not, if you go to the very bottom of the Fons & Porter Love of Quilting web site there is a number for Customer Service and a place to "click" if you want to send an email in the event they are unable to help you.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I don't want to steal this thread, but it brings up a problem I had recently. When making pinwheel blocks I cut them a little larger than needed and when I cut them down, I lost the points and the 1/4 inch allowance. What did I do wrong?
There are different variations on the pinwheel block. These instructions may help you for the basic type.
http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/03/...aby-quilt.html
I do oversize my half square triangles and trim them down so that the pinwheel block will be a perfect size. Not sure how you lost your points without seeing the block.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:07 AM

For all the reasons you stated, l always cut just enough for one block out of scrap or cheaper fabric & sew it up as a test block. Sometimes l find the results are a bit off, and l can do an adjustment before commiting to cutting up my "good" fabric. l once cut squares 2 3/4 when they should have been 2 3/8 ! Saved messing up due to missreading.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:22 AM

I like your quilt so far. Another idea for using scraps.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:42 AM

Annaquilts - love your rendition of crosswalks. Just watched the video again, so quick and easy...forgot about this one....
Old 05-19-2016, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Annaquilts - love your rendition of crosswalks. Just watched the video again, so quick and easy...forgot about this one....
It was fun and easy to make. I had one jelly roll and no idea what to do. I will do this pattern again as I like how it whipped together and how it looks. Maybe the next one will be with civil War fabrics.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:25 PM

Thank you. This makes sense, that is exactly what I did.

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
probably a case were the smaller unit (the HST) blocks should have been squared before sewing into a pinwheel--when you square after sewing together you are squaring up the larger block which already has 4 HST that are little too large--which means the seams &points for each is not where it should be. I'm often lazy about doing this unit squaring detail and ALWAYS pay the price--best reason for doing a sample block first.