Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
interfacing on tshirt quilts >

interfacing on tshirt quilts

interfacing on tshirt quilts

Old 07-16-2019, 02:28 PM

Default interfacing on tshirt quilts

I am going to start a tshirt quilt - I have made several already. But recently I saw an article on the internet about not using interfacing. They really talked down using interfacing. Basically their main reason was the extra weight that the interfacing adds

Has anyone here made a tshirt quilt and not use interfacing.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:40 AM

I have made several tshirt quilts but none without interfacing. I use the the lightest weight that will stabilize the shirts. I don't think I would even attempt without interfacing. But maybe that's just me. The quilt is naturally heavy weight but so what.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:05 AM

I have made only one t shirt quilt and used very light interfacing. I can't imagine trying to work with the shirts without some sort of stabilizer. The Gal at joann's helped me pick out the very lightest one. Don't remember what it was but it worked
Old 07-17-2019, 05:49 AM

I have made several t-shirt quilts without interfacing/stabilizer after taking a class at my LQS using Too Cool T-Shirt book. Love how soft and cuddly they are! I would recommend a class or the book on the method. https://www.toocooltshirtquilts.com/
Old 07-17-2019, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

I have made many, many T-shirt quilts over the years and always used the featherweight interfacing. The quilts were always soft and cuddly. Even double sided T-shirt quilts. They are heavy but that is because the knit jersey is heavy. Lift up a garbage bag full of T-shirts and then lift up a bolt of featherweight fusible interfacing, the added weight is negligible. Now I do know some interfaces are quite heavy like the nylon tricot ones. But the featherweight stuff is indeed as light as a feather and adds absolutely no stiffness, it simply keeps the T-shirts from stretching out of shape as you sew them. I would not attempt making one without some sort of interfacing unless I starched the shirts so heavily they would be like card stock. As the starch washes out, that is a viable alternative but I have never actually tried it.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:40 AM

Lisa Capen Quilts has a really good tutorials on You Tube.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:18 AM

As a judge in a county fair, I saw a T-shirt quilt made without stabilizer. Not nice.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:54 AM

The only possible way that I can think that you would not have to use an interfacing would be if you were doing an allover quilting and even then, it would stretch like crazy when putting it together. One thing I tell my students is about how much bad info is out on youtube. Many folks simply make videos because they can and they are full of misinformation. Trust your gut - if it sounds weird, it probably is!
Old 07-18-2019, 09:20 AM

I work for a quilt shop and we do lots of t-shirt quilts. Have done them with and without stabilizer. With is always much better, my favorite is shape flex. Using stabilizer, in my books, is always better. Just follow the directions on your stabilizer so that it stays put. Peace, Brenda
Old 07-18-2019, 10:03 AM

I can't imagine making one without interfacing. I too read an article recently about not using interfacing. IMHO I would always be concerned about the fabric shifting or being stretched out of shape. I can't see how you could square up a block??? I don't think I have the guts to mess up a quilt using a method without stabilizer. T Shirts are not replaceable it they are memorabilia