Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
iPods and Sewing >

iPods and Sewing

iPods and Sewing

Old 05-01-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by rjmeditz
OMGosh...I use my Ipod when sewing all the time. Sometime I lesson to podcast and sometime my favorite music. fyi I'm way over 50 too! :))
Yeah, I use mine too.... podcasts, Pandora and music. Never thought about downloading audio books. I DO have the Kindle app on my ipod, so I've read books on mine.

Be careful, I once sewed my 'phone cord into my project by mistake. Thank goodness the needle just missed the cord and sewed over it. A big, phat miracle, that.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:05 PM

I love to listen to books on my ipod, while I sew. Our library has downloadable books that can be checked out just like a regular library book. It is great. My ipod is just 16gb and I have never gotten close to it being full, but that is partly because I check them out at the library and when I am done, they "go away".
Old 05-01-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by rjmeditz
OMGosh...I use my Ipod when sewing all the time. Sometime I lesson to podcast and sometime my favorite music. fyi I'm way over 50 too! :))
Yeah, I use mine too.... podcasts, Pandora and music. Never thought about downloading audio books. I DO have the Kindle app on my ipod, so I've read books on mine.

Be careful, I once sewed my 'phone cord into my project by mistake. Thank goodness the needle just missed the cord and sewed over it. A big, phat miracle, that.
That is so funny. Ha Ha
Old 05-01-2011, 01:07 PM

I have a 16 gig iPhone and am able to keep at least 5 audiobooks (big ones, unabridged) on it at at time along with my kindle, ibooks and nook books, several hundred songs, all of my apps and the phone. I rotate my audio books through iTunes as I finish them. I still have space to store a bunch of photos too.
I love my phone, and have the iPad and Mac book pro as well. I am allergic to windows (seriously, my husband hates it when I use it, as I am very talented at crashing it all the time)
:-)
Old 05-01-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Just a comment here...

Many of the books with overdrive media are in Windows Media Player. I'm not sure if Ipods play those files.

Just want to warn you. I have a creative Zen and I'm extremely happy with mine. It plays mp3 files, or WMA without any problems.

I wanted to add that people have said that I must have the "patience of a saint" when I've worked on my scrappy quilts (1.5" inch strips). Not so. I enjoy listening to my books and sometimes I keep sewing because I'm enjoying the story so much! :)
IPod does convert the overdrive media player files, that is what my library uses ,Just wanted to let you know
Old 05-01-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by raedar63
Originally Posted by justflyingin
Just a comment here...

Many of the books with overdrive media are in Windows Media Player. I'm not sure if Ipods play those files.

Just want to warn you. I have a creative Zen and I'm extremely happy with mine. It plays mp3 files, or WMA without any problems.

I wanted to add that people have said that I must have the "patience of a saint" when I've worked on my scrappy quilts (1.5" inch strips). Not so. I enjoy listening to my books and sometimes I keep sewing because I'm enjoying the story so much! :)
IPod does convert the overdrive media player files, that is what my library uses ,Just wanted to let you know
Good, cuz I was feeling sorry for the Ipod owners as ours seems to have a special section for Ipod friendly files and it is much smaller than the WMA selection.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:21 AM

5 years ago i bought a Creative Zen Photo 20gb. All I do is listen to audio books. I download them from my local library here in Michigan. These audio books are checked out, dowloaded to my computer, then streamed to my Zen, with a due date just like other hard covers. I was in a really, really long book, and told my husband that I couldn't possibly read (listen) to it in the time allotted by the library. They add a small chip or something in the download that you cannot access the book after the time allotted. So, he said that since I don't use the calendar on my MP3, to just back date the device. So, I did to 1901. I have about 70 books on there....I go away in the summer to our cottage...can't get internet there...this has been wonderful for me because I listen to the books all the time. My husband likes the History channel, Cops, all the guy stuff, and I just sit blissfully, doing my applique. Deanna

This is what I do. I have a 32 gig mp3 player (not ipod) and use it often. A book ranges from 50 mb to 250 mb depending on how many cds are in it.

They've already done the work for you. Depending on where you live, of course. Do you have a library card?

I just checked. You live in St. Paul.

Here is the link. You will not need to BUY books.

http://sppl.lib.overdrive.com/D5EFD0...en/Default.htm

Just go get a library card if you don't have one and then register on the website link I sent you. You'll have to look around the site a bit.

I HIGHLY recommend this method. You just check out the books and listen to them and then delete them from your mp3 player. Simple. Really.[/quote]
Old 05-02-2011, 04:12 AM

I own a 64 Gig and it is loaded with Books, pictures, my collection of music, about 20 movies and tons of games. The thing is If you ever have too many audiobooks to fit in your Ipod, the ones you've read already do not have to be loaded in it but still stay on your computer. That's what I do with my movies :-)
Hope this helps
Old 05-02-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Edie
I am wondering if any of you have put an audiobook into an iPod and does it work? Also, I can get either a 40, 80 or 160 gb and also how many books would each hold! I have a lot of binding here to do and need help! Thanks very much. Edie
I'm fortunate enough to have direct download from our public library! While I don't have an iPod - I do have a Zen (same concept) and can get 3 or 4 books on it at a time. It's wonderful!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 04:28 AM
elm

I use audiobooks on my i pod all the time. It's the only way I can get myself to use the treadmill and stationary bike at the fitness center. I hadn't thought of using it while sewing. Thanks for the great idea.