Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: An Iron I Can Recommend

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    I have a thing about knocking them off, Could you knock it off a few times, and then let me know how it does? LOL
    Now thats funny. I just did that last night. My Rowenta held up find but there is a new dent in my hardwood floor
    :roll:

I got a Rowenta for Christmas.. I haven't gotten to use it yet but ds has.. worked great.. we will see on the life (the price was 39.00 on sale at Jo Annes) that was 1/2 price.
    --Black & Decker is one of the greatest companies ever!!! on all their products!! but.....the last iron I got was a B&D & it didn't last the 20 yrs like most of their stuff.. the cord gets a short in it & it shuts off (continuously!).. I'm hoping to keep it as a backup & maybe ds will 'play' with it & make it work again. Now that I can do without it, he can work on it while I use the new Rowenta... he loves to 'tear things apart' lol
    good luck with your new toy!

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I've used a Rowenta for years - and knocked it off the ironing board a time or two. It still works great.

I have the Rowenta Professional Luxe. I have had it about 4 years. It leaks like crazy and has been for the last year. It does shut off but comes back to life very quickly. I am so disappointed with it leaking. The sites I have visited say that all Rowentas leak after a while. I use steam alot so the leaking is a big problem.

The Shark is a good iron, however, about a year after I got mine the "steam blast" push button "gave up the ghost," like the spring broke. The iron still functioned as a steam iron, but I had gotton "so spoiled" by the extra steam I was lost.

So-o-o-o-o-o-o, I "bit the bullet" and bought a Rowenta "steam generator" iron. It has a separate boiler that makes the steam and then sends it to the iron when the steam switch is pushed. I now have STEAM, but I've only had it a few weeks so time will tell how it holds up. It was PRICEY so I'm hoping it will last a VERY long time. :roll:

I will be intested to see how it works out for you. I have been tempted to buy one of these types of irons too. You are right though. They are pricey.

Just thought I would let you know, for anyone looking for the Shark Professional Iron, ebay just put them up for the daily deal for 29.99 with free shipping. Bea

I bought the Shark too in 2008, it didn't even live to see 2009! I too loved while it lasted and I seldom knock mine OFF just OVER, and that doesn't hurt, unless you don't notice it right away and burn something! It just stopped getting hot, it was too warm to hold your hand on but not warm enough to iron with, I now have a 12$ something or other, I can afford a new one every year if need be.

I too thought this was a great iron....my first one died 4 months after purchase, the second one is about ready to go....the steam works great at first, then it goes down to nothing. I have cleaned it twice now and still does not work right, in fact the second time I "cleaned" it the self cleaning did not work right.

I have a supply of irons - Rowenta, Proctor-Silex and my all time favorite The Euro-Steam Iron. I purchased my Euro-Steam at the Denver Home and Garden Show several years ago. I can iron silk, polyesther, wool, any delicate fabric without ever worrying about damaging it. It is wonderful for sewing and quilting. The gals in my sewing group loved it too and several of them purchased one too.

I bought an Oliso iron, terribly expensive but sooo worth it! It automatically lifts itself and never has to be stood up to be knocked over! Check it out.

dropping my iron is never a good thing, I am in the garage and the floor of course is cement and not very forgiving,

I thought I wanted an olison iron, but after reading reviews I decided it wasn't worth the chance that it would last. But I have tendonitis in my wrist and the idea of just setting it aside instead of upright sounded great. Soooo one day at WalMart I saw a silicon iron shaped pad for $ 3.98. It said that it would withstand the heat of the iron so I tried it. Works great, I just set my iron on it and don't have to twist my wrist to set it down. The only drawback is that I can only use it dry. The steam keeps coming out unless it's upright, so I use a different iron for that kind of ironing. I prefer a dry iron for pressing blocks anyway. I hope this help someone else with bad wrists.

Jenny
    Sugar Grove, PA

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    i bought a Shark Professional the other day. i was a bit hesitant because of the price ($49.95 before tax, title and options).

this is one suweeeeeeeeeet iron! all the bells & whistles ring and toot.

the only thing left to find out is whether or not it can stand up to abuse and neglect. i'm very hard on irons. :roll:
    I have one of these too Patrice, I love it! Have had it for almost 8 months now and it's still a sweet iron!! :) I am hard on irons as well, I have all the ones that I wore out on a shelf! LOL

Blog Entries
    thanks

Blog Entries
    Hi, Bstanbro, from another Oregonian. I have never had trouble with my blast steam, and my Rowenta is 5 years old. What is that you're hearing, I'm knocking on wood, I just love my iron. I love your cat.

I loved my Shark professional when I bought it but it didn't last too many months. Rowents's only last about a year before they spurt water. I bought a cheap one at Hancocks for $15 and it lasted for over a year and now on my second one. I don't drop my irons, just use them almost every day.

I use my iron daily and am lucky to get one to last 6 months before they start leaking water everywhere. Finally just gave up & am buying the cheapo irons & replacing the darned things ever 3-6 months. However, a leaky iron is fine once they are good & dry to use for fusible stuff. So I have a few for that purpose. LOL

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I bought a Krups about 15 years ago and it is still in perfect condition. And it cost a cool $100.00 back then, but worth every penny. I would recommend that you NEVER put tap water in your iron. I use only distilled water, and have no problems with spitting, leaking, sputtering. A gallon of distilled water is cheap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2