Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron recommendations >

Iron recommendations

Iron recommendations

Old 04-21-2021, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

The filter for the Reliable is $15. Maybe that price was for two in a package. Reliable online chat rep told me to have a shop that sold Reliable products order the filter and save the high deliver cost. I haven't had to change the filter yet so don't know how long it lasts. It's about a year old and I use it almost daily.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Home Depot sells this iron and I have requested the filter be in stock. The service dept rep said she would check into it and didn't see why it couldn't be in stock if available.

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-21-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:34 AM

I had a Reliable iron that I loved, it was a gift. It died and when I looked at replacing it with the same model, it was over $100.

I bought a Proctor Silex iron at the hardware store, of all places, for $18. It doesn't have auto shutoff. I like it so much I went and bought a backup.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by gardengirl1331 View Post
I have an iron that I don't like, it works fine, but the handle is wearing out, and is somehow sticky as it's wearing out (collecting dust and bits of fabric that just don't come off, and my hand sticks too, and it was dropped years ago so part is wonky, but doesn't affect use. I never use the steam function (I use a spray bottle with distilled water instead) and HATE the holes on it due to trying to get nice smooth fabric and good seams. The holes catch on every single seam. I found an older style iron without steam that gets good reviews, but it doesn't have any safety features like auto-shut off etc which I also really want.

Any suggestions out there? Price is an issue, so nothing horribly expensive. Thanks!!!
I never use a steam iron anymore. I use a misting bottle and put a bit of cheap vodka in the water (made of wheat or potato which contain "starch" but completely clear) I spray my fabrics on a scrap piece of old fabric then move it to my woolen matt for ironing. So almost any iron will do, no steam iron required!
Old 04-21-2021, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I did a search and found several online shops that sell the filter. Sue Spargo's site sells it for $8 shipping. I called around and was told the filter took care of any tap water that wasn't optimal. Using the water for baby formula the filter wasn't needed but needed to stay in iron. Take it out and reinsert. I'll buy the filter if Home Depot gets them in stock.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:49 AM

Onebyone, thank you so much for all your researchon that filter. I did see it listed for 15 dollars but it had 30 dollar shipping from the Reliable company. I looked for a reconditioned one but they are out of stock right now. They will send me an email when one is available. I used a Rowenta for nearly twenty years but it finally gave up and I hate the replacement cheapie I bought on the internet. Can't see how much water is in the tank!
Old 04-21-2021, 11:08 AM

I have and really like a Sunbeam Steam Master Professional iron. I do use it with steam some (most) of the time. I've never noticed the holes catching on seams. I really like having the auto-off feature. This iron beeps softly before it turns itself off, which I like. (My previous iron would just start flashing a light when it turned off the heat, and I sometimes found it sitting there still flashing, hours or days later.) It has a clean mode to flush out the calcium and other mineral that build up from tap water. (The manual specifically says to use tap water, not distilled water.) Even with the auto-off feature, I try to always unplug an iron when I am done with it, just to be extra safe.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:20 PM

GardenGal i have the one from Vermont Country Store too. dry iron, no holes in sole plate. I had cordless but it drove me crazy shutting off all the time when upright. This iron is good and dependable. I turn dial to off and then flip my cord connector to off and leave the room. I will stay with this iron for as long as it lasts.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:22 PM

I have the Laura Star Lift (yes, I got the red one). I got an Oliso when my first Laura Star gave up the ghost. It was okay, but I was never really sold on it. I still make garments, so I do use steam and love the Laura Star for that. Its pricey, but worth it to me.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:51 PM

I would love an iron without any steam holes. I agree that sometimes fabric gets stuck in the little holes. I kinda like my Cricut Heat Press. It keeps me from moving the iron around and stretching the fabric, even a little bit. If I need steam, i just use a spray bottle. I avoid starch. I read somewhere that starch will attriact bugs. I don't think I would use vodka. My family might think I am a closet drinker! (JK)