Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing boards >

Ironing boards

Ironing boards

Old 05-28-2017, 04:29 AM

[QUOTE=mengler;7832193]
Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Green Stamps! Got my very first pair of roller skates with green stamps! Ironing boards-- couldn't find one that I liked that didn't cost a fortune, so made one from a wooden board, some cotton batting and that silver ironing board fabric. I lay it on the end of my cutting table when I want to iron yardage, iron a quilt top and backing before basting or baste a quilt using fusible batting.

I've heard a lot of quilters who've done that. I'd like to, but no energy, so I suffer with the one I have. It makes so much sense. They however attach it to the top of their boards to make them longer or wider. There are a few u tube videos on this conversion. My motivation is renewed. Lol.

I don't have room in either of the rooms that I use for studio space, or I'd d something like that., but my board is fairly light weight so I can move it on and off the cutting table as needed. One thing I'd do different is look for a longer and wider board, mine's only 40 inches long and 14 inches wide. But it was a freebie, so I can't complain. I did dream the ther night that I had a 10 foot x 10 foot board-- it was really nice- I could iron an entire quilt top without having to shuffle it around, but it was hard to pick up and put on my cutting table LOL. Come to think of it, I woke up before finding out if I my arms would stretch enough to reach the center

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 05-28-2017 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:18 AM

I recently captured a wonderful BIG ironing board at Saver's. I love it. It cost me about 10% of what a similar board would cost new. Best of all, it has sturdy legs with grippy rubber caps that spread out enough to give me the kind of stability that I have never had before in an ironing board. I liked it so much that I made it 2 covers right away, so I can wash one without any inconvenience. I have one of those shelves underneath and I love it. I put a light basket on the shelf with my pressing cloths and spray starch. I even keep a pair of scissors in that basket for snipping tails. It also has a metal shelf on the end for the iron when not in use (that's where I keep a spray bottle of water). Look for features that will make your quilting easier--stability, size, handy features, and height adjustment and you'll find the right ironing board for you!
Old 05-28-2017, 09:04 AM

Green Stamps! Got my very first pair of roller skates with green stamps! Ironing boards-- couldn't find one that I liked that didn't cost a fortune, so made one from a wooden board, some cotton batting and that silver ironing board fabric. I lay it on the end of my cutting table when I want to iron yardage, iron a quilt top and backing before basting or baste a quilt using fusible batting.

Rob
When I want to press something large, I just lay the wool blanket I bought for 50 cents at an estate sale over the end of one of the tables in my sewing room. It works just fine. I don't especially like that silver ironing board cover fabric anyway and don't have one of those covers on my regular board. The wool seems to work really well.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
When I want to press something large, I just lay the wool blanket I bought for 50 cents at an estate sale over the end of one of the tables in my sewing room. It works just fine. I don't especially like that silver ironing board cover fabric anyway and don't have one of those covers on my regular board. The wool seems to work really well.
Does the wool blanket protect the table? I tried one of those ironing pads that you're supposed to be able to put on any surface and it works great on my dryer which is metal, but when I tried using it on my table, the heat on f the iron went through and caused the finish of the table to turn white (oops). That's why I went with a board covered in batting and ironing board fabric. What don't you like about the silver ironing board cover fabric?

Rob
Old 05-29-2017, 07:13 PM

Does the wool blanket protect the table? I tried one of those ironing pads that you're supposed to be able to put on any surface and it works great on my dryer which is metal, but when I tried using it on my table, the heat on f the iron went through and caused the finish of the table to turn white (oops). That's why I went with a board covered in batting and ironing board fabric. What don't you like about the silver ironing board cover fabric? Rob
I've turned my table white also. I don't remember what I had on the table, but I know I didn't have the iron on there very long. My granddaughter has the table now. It was a tall table with four tall chairs.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:44 AM

I have an old ironing board, don't even know the brand. I also have an ironing board my daughter and son-in-law made for me that is wider and can be used for ironing or cutting fabric - it folds up and attaches to the wall with a heavy duty magnet - I love it. It's from wood, covered with batting and fabric.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

The "big board" - which I truly love - does not work out well for ironing shirts. I am wondering if placing a small portable ironing board on top of a big board would work out for ironing shirts? (I suppose I could go downstairs and actually try it out to see if it works - but I rarely iron shirts now.)
Old 06-06-2017, 07:23 AM

I have an old one from the 70's and love it. It's sturdy, doesn't wobble around, and when raised into position, it stays there. We (us ladies in the family) were just talking about ironing on the weekend when company was over, and I was surprised at how few still iron.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I have a "regular" ironing board in Florida - purchased at a thrift store - it's a big wider than "average" - but I did find a "ready made" cover for it. I will iron DH's pants and/or shirts when I need some brownie points with him.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Check out the Reliable brand ironing boards. They are quality. Walmart has the 100IB online. I have this one: It is without a doubt the best one for home ironing and it was sitting in my FIL's basement never used. [h=2]Reliable The Board 500VB Home Vacuum and Up-Air Pressing Table[/h] Look at this one: It is made for ironing shirts. [h=2]Parker Extra Wide Ironing Pro Board with Shoulder Wing Folding[/h]
Wow! I love the Parker board with shoulder wings. Looks like it would be handy in pressing fabric as well.