Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Irons. Reliable Digital Velocity or Braun? >

Irons. Reliable Digital Velocity or Braun?

Irons. Reliable Digital Velocity or Braun?

Old 11-04-2014, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by smm06 View Post
I have a Reliable Digital Velocity and LOVE it. No leaking but I always wait for it to heat to set temperate before using which I was told by LQS this keeps it from not spitting.
I absolutely love mine but it is not for everyone. It is very pricey and very heavy compared to others. It uses distilled water but has NEVER leaked and has an override for the auto shut-off feature. My next favorite iron is made by Black and Decker. My husband stole it for his ironing (who's to argue if he wants to iron) so bought the Reliable for me. LOL
Old 11-04-2014, 07:37 AM

I have a Rowenta, it leaks badly and the dial broke. I like the iron very much because it gets hot, the wattage is higher than most, but has problems. I e-mailed the company but nothing became of it. Am really disappointed with companies not standing behind their products. Will probably buy another of the cheapest model and toss it when it leaks.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:18 AM

If you want a dry iron only the best one is a Continental dry iron from Amazon for only $20. No auto shutoff. I have one and absolutely love it.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:48 AM

Speaking of irons -- As a side note, I dashed over to amazon.com and bought a "Petite Press" tiny iron because a lady on this forum highly recommended it. I had been looking for an iron with a tiny head to press down the seams in the middle of a block so I could control the seams better. It doesn't take the place of the good old regular sized iron, but I do love my new little toy. It heats fast, gets really hot, has a nice long cord, but not so heavy that it pulls the iron off your ironing board. You do have to use it once to get the feel of it, and you have to press down harder since it is lightweight.

It isn't a steam iron, but it doesn't need steam as it is nice and hot and really does iron those seams down.I plan to get my DD (dear daughter) one for Christmas.

I had tried another mini iron from JoAnn's and returned it. It was worthless!
Old 11-04-2014, 09:54 AM

I had a Reliable Digital Velosity and it died within a year. No, I never sent it in on the warranty, the thing weighs a ton and postage would have been a lot. I am not very happy that I spent $140 on an iron that did not last.

I went and bought another Rowenta and it is doing fine, so far.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:46 AM

The cheapest black and decker automatic shut off at walmart. I've had mine for 8 yrs and is still going strong.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:12 PM

I also have the Reliable Digital Velocity and LOVE it. I use distilled water in mine, and it doesn't leak or spit, have had
it for a couple of years....

Old 11-04-2014, 10:38 PM

I just bought an inexpensive iron at Walmart and no auto-shutoff! Teflon sole plate, quick to heat, works great. No leaks, no drips!
Old 11-05-2014, 03:51 AM

Reliable Velocity isn't a pure iron, it is a vapor generator (2 heating elements). Rowenta has a steam generator. Separate tank, so iron is lighter.

If you live in a humid climate, a regular steam iron might seem like it puts out a lot of steam. If you live where it's dry and have forced hot air heat in the winter, you can't even see steam from a regular iron.

The Reliable puts out so much (you can adjust) that you have to use finger guards if you are using bias binding tips.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:07 PM

I loved my Reliable Velocity for 15 months and then it failed. It was off with steam off but plugged in while I went to the kitchen to eat lunch. Upon returning it had pumped put all the water. Whenever it was pluggged in it started pumping out water. Not so reliable ...