Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Irons. Reliable Digital Velocity or Braun? >

Irons. Reliable Digital Velocity or Braun?

Irons. Reliable Digital Velocity or Braun?

Old 11-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

My 14 month old Sunbeam quit on me this morning. 2 months after warranty. Sounded like Rice Krispies cereal with smoke coming out of it's nostrils. DH was standing there and cracked up laughing. He said that's what you get for buying a cheapy. I reminded him that he bought it and it wasn't that cheap. I have one left. My last iron I had since 1971 and it played the Rice Krispies song but it had a right for being 43 years old. It was a GE steamer. I know where I'm going tomorrow. Hopefully, the one I have left will last till I get back from the store.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:03 PM

I have an iron that I bought from Amazon. The name on it is Continental Electric and how no holes or auto shutoff. Gets very hot. I'm on my second one because the previous one's cord came loose from it. If I recall they're under $20. I've heard that the best irons are Reliable, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of money.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:40 PM

I know Reliable does offer one without auto shut off and one with a delayed shut off. My Mom had a Rowenta and it spit and leaked something terrible, but the LQS has them and she said they never have problems. My friend has one but she doesn't like steam so she never put water in it. I had a Sunbeam and used it for years before I had any problems, then, because I was short on funds bought a cheap Black and Decker. It's okay but I am hoping to someday get a better iron. I was looking at the Olsio because I would like one that I don't have to be afraid of knocking off the ironing board. Of all the reviews I've read it seems that Reliable is a really good iron and Rowenta isn't all that wonderful. I know that I definitely want one that is a little heavier then what I am using now.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:24 AM

When I last bought an iron, I researched heavily. But did not include Rowenta in the mix because of bad experiences with two of them. Braun kept coming to the top of the list. I purchased a used one on ebay, which did not have auto shut off. The seller shipped me one that did have it and I complained. She then shipped me the one without auto shut off at no charge and told me to keep both. I love them. Have been using the first one for three years and it's still going strong. I have found that if you fill it more than half full with water that it will leak. So I use a spray misting bottle of water with a dry iron. When I bought mine Braun was out of the iron business. I do hope they jumped back in and are now producing irons again. They are top notch.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

I love, love, love my Reliable digital Velocity. It has the override and after owning one for about two years now,
it has never spit, dribbled or left white calcium deposits on my fabric. It get hot and if you like steam, you cant beat it.

I hope to own this one for a long time after replacing several Rowentas, I gave up on them.

One of the best things about the Velocity is it's orange!!!!!
peace