Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Isacord or Glide Shades for Jeans Hem >

Isacord or Glide Shades for Jeans Hem

Isacord or Glide Shades for Jeans Hem

Old 06-12-2022, 01:36 PM

Question Isacord or Glide Shades for Jeans Hem

Hi All,

I live where I have to order premium thread online. I have several pairs of dark wash jeans to hem, and even though this site is for quilting, I am hoping some of you have used Isacord or Glide threads for jeans, too. I only had some white Isacord to practice on, and it seems to work fine with a triple stretch stitch.

Do you have any suggestions on what shades of Isacord or Glide thread would match best with that orangey-gold thread used to topstitch and/or hem jeans?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 06-13-2022, 05:20 AM

It can be hit or miss to match threads colors. The chart shows Bronze or Pumpkin Seed that might be a match in Glide.

Would this one work?

https://www.wawak.com/Thread/Thread-.../#sku=OTD58145

The other option is to match the jeans color so the hem doesn't show.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:50 AM

Rhonda K,

Thank for your suggestions! I had been sewing with a jeans thread from Singer. It came off the spool very fuzzy- great color, but I broke 3 needles on an old sample pair of jeans before I realized the problem was the thread! That’s why I grabbed the white Isacord that I had on hand and tried it, and it did great.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Remember to change the needles, too.

A jean-a--ma-jig -or similar gadget/device/tool - also helps.

I use a longer stitch - at least a 3 or 3.5 - when hemming jeans.

Also - if the jeans are tapered, releasing the the seams below the fold lines sometimes helps get a smoother, unpuckered, hem.

If working with extra heavy jeans, and the flat felled seam is like triple stitched, I will clip to the first fold line, and let that amount stick up above the stitching line. I usually trim it even with the fold line and put something like fray check on the raw edge.

Attached Thumbnails jeans.jpeg  
Old 06-13-2022, 09:00 AM

Can’t help on your specific question, but if you often buy thread online, it may be worth buying a thread color chart for your favorite brands. Here is one for glide: https://quiltedjoy.com/product/machi...e-thread/glide. I bought one for Aurifil because my local shops had limited colors. It is not perfect, but much better than trying to choose by color name alone.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:51 PM

I agree about the thread charts. I have one for glide and others for embroidery thread. It is hard to tell true colors on line.