Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Isn't this just perfect for fabric?

Very nice. I could use a couple of those. :thumbup:

I have loads of the Billy Bookcases, I think I'm going to get a couple or three of those Benno DVD cases to add to them...great for the smaller cuts!!!

I have mine stacked in 5 drawer plastic cupboards, they are great and being see through you can see your colors clearly.

I love IKEA for just about everyhting! I have a bookcase system from them that has a bookcase framework. You can purchase shelves or drawers ahta slide out. Mine is 7'6" or so. I love it because my fabric doesnt get dusty and I just slide out the drawer which is about 6" deep. There are also dividers that I use to keep my thread and other craft supplies like ribbons and beads organized. I will have toget my daughter to take a picture. It is so great to have in my tiny sewing room.

I also bought a table at Costco that is height adjustable for cutting.

I like to check the as-is section of IKEA, a lot of times there are some great deals on cabinets and bookcases. One day I bought 5 kitchen cabinets for $10 each. They went in my laundry room. I would have bought more, but another woman scarfed up the other 5 cabinets! It definitely makes the 45 minute drive worth it.

Wish we had an Ikea closer, love to have this cabinet but it is not available online - Houston is over 4 hrs. away! I do have a small CD cab (21 cubbies about 7" w & h, 6" deep) perfect for FQs. Got it at WM for $20 a couple of years ago, went back the next week for another and they had quit carrying them! Haven't seen anything like it anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    Those shelves are the bomb! I didn't see those when we went to Ikea. I did get some inexpensive shelving. It's been so wonderful to have everything (well, almost!) out and ready to use. No more digging through tubs. Treat yourself. You and your fabric deserve it!
    Where did you get your shelves?

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    DH and I were looking at Lowes today to see what my options are. I told him we needed to go to IKEA and he said wth driving and gas and food, I should just get the nice cabinet from Lowe's. Um, maybe. Love the cases but I need doors on mine cuz of the cats. Still looking. Yours are great.
    We live way out in the country and the nearest IKEA is a couple of hours away. So, when I'm looking for something there I just go online first and if I find something I really like, then I can justify the trip so that I can see them and touch them.

Ladies,

Some questions about the Ikea products:

If we use acid free paper to line shelves to protect fabrics, aren't you worried about the outgassing of the MDF used in the IKEA products?

Also, I find the MDF cannot handle the weight. The little clips pullout and the shelves warp, then collapse.

I have started to shop on Craigs List for used furniture to store fabrics- and other stuff- in.

I have been fortunate to find 3 "curios" of wood with glass doors to display and store so much of my "stuff". Each was well under $100.

Susan
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    I have an almost empty room with just the long arm in it so I was looking at shelving and saw THIS! The narrow shelves are sized for CDs but wouldn't that just be great for stacking fat quarters? I could imagine each section filled with a different color.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49860215
    Man I like that. What is the shipping on it gonna be?

I have a cubby hole shelving system from Ikea in my sewing room now and I've not had one problem with it. I also have one in my home office that is larger and it is FULL of books, and not one problem.

I find them to be sturdy and I don't line my shelves with paper anyway. Don't know about the "outgassing" so I couldn't say that I'm concerned about it. I've had them for about 5 years.

Those shelves are the bomb! I didn't see those when we went to Ikea. I did get some inexpensive shelving. It's been so wonderful to have everything (well, almost!) out and ready to use. No more digging through tubs. Treat yourself. You and your fabric deserve it!
    OOO, I want to come shop at your house. Well all the Ikea stores are 150 to 200 miles away so thats that. Oh well will try something else.

LOVE THE DOGGY PLACEMATS WHERE CAN WE GET SOME OF THOSE CUTE APPLIQUES?

Love the Billy just printed it to take with me. I have several items from ikea and haven't had any problems plus the way this is laid out each section wouldn't be holding that much weight.

Power Poster
    Yea that looks like it would make a perfect cabinet for fabric. How deep is it?

I think it's 11" deep (it has all the dimensions on the link).

Blog Entries
    yes yes to shelves Pam, chele my mouth drop, have to put my teeth back in lol so sorry

Looks great - let us know how it works if you buy it.

I bought a CD shelf last year at our local computer store, it is much smaller then the one at Ikea, but it is perfect for the fat quarters, it is the first thing I see when I walk into my sewing room, I always enjoy seeing all the colors,I have the different colors stacked together so I can see what I have available,
    go for it and enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by dotterbeck
    LOVE THE DOGGY PLACEMATS WHERE CAN WE GET SOME OF THOSE CUTE APPLIQUES?
    If this is to me -- they're Anita Goodesign. =)

Quote Originally Posted by pasovasz
    Ladies,

Some questions about the Ikea products:

If we use acid free paper to line shelves to protect fabrics, aren't you worried about the outgassing of the MDF used in the IKEA products?

Also, I find the MDF cannot handle the weight. The little clips pullout and the shelves warp, then collapse.

I have started to shop on Craigs List for used furniture to store fabrics- and other stuff- in.

I have been fortunate to find 3 "curios" of wood with glass doors to display and store so much of my "stuff". Each was well under $100.

Susan
    NJ
    MDF gases...will have to read more about that. I would think fat quarters/fabrics not to weigh as much as CD's/DVR's. Maybe someone has tried the cabinet and can give us some insight.

My husband built something similar to that but I have outgrown it. Mine is attached to the wall, but I think one that sits on the floor would be nice.

Where did you get your shelving Chele? Were they also at Ikea?
    Yours look deeper than the cd width ones, so I was curious how deep the shelves are.

Dee
    Love those shelves. I need a lot of room. I want to get the fabric out so I can see what I have.

i think it would be perfect , i wish i had room for one in my sewing room

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast