Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Isn't  fabric just fabric? >

Isn't fabric just fabric?

Isn't fabric just fabric?

Old 06-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

OK another dumb question. What is the difference between clothes fabric and quilting fabric? I have seen several people mention that they have a quilting stash and a clothing stash. What is the difference? I figured that you could use fabric for clothes or quilts. BrendaK
Old 06-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Some fabrics that are great for clothing are a different weight or texture than typical quilting fabric. Depending on the quilt, this may or may not be a problem. For example denim and t-shirts are both used in quilts and in clothing quite successfully, yet don't match with typical quilting fabric. In general I find it a personal preference sort of thing, since I don't believe in the quilt police! LOL! I use all sorts of fabric for whatever I want to, just realize that certain ones (satin, corduroy, upholstry fabric, etc) are going to require slightly different techniques to be sure they perform the way I want them to.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

many fabrics made for clothing are blends of poly or rayon or other fabrics with cotton. Also back in the days- clothing fabric was a bit lighter weight than what we now know as quilt fabric. they were softer and more silky. All can be used. I believe one just has to respect the nature of the fabric and use it accordingly. Blends will shrink with hot irons, cotton won't...
Old 06-07-2011, 06:35 PM

I bought a nursing scrub top with geckos @ the thrift store. The very next day saw that exact same fabric online for 8 bucks a yard.

I guess it's a fine line.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:48 PM

i think if you're hand quilting you look for quilters cotton because its easier to pass the needle thru when quilting.

as people said clothing fabric can be blends and have a higher thread count making it very hard to hand quilt.

when machine quilting this is typically not a problem. sometimes you might break a needle but just use a strong needle and you'll prevent that from happening.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

Thanks, I figured thatwas the answer but I just wanted someone else's ideas. No matter what I guess it's all part of our stash. Thanks guys.BrendaK
Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 PM

I use only natural fibers like cotton or linen for everything. Manmade fibers cause breathing issues and headaches because of the chemical compounds used in making them.