Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It's a washout" >

It's a washout"

It's a washout"

Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 PM

OK ty for the information. I never tried it but had heard about it.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

it is important to read the package completely when purchasing 'printer fabric' and follow the instructions to a tee...some of them are made to be used for wall hangings- not intended to be washed ever...some are for projects that may be laundered- either way it's important to follow the instructions. also, allowing the ink to 'cure' really saturate the fibers (use the best *heaviest ink* setting on the printer- so you get a lot of ink --let it cure for at least 24 hours- heat set-
permanent ink of course works best- and some office shops/print shops will print your pictures for you. I have found I have best luck making my own- I purchase good quality bleached muslin- pre-wash it- with detergent- no fabric softener, = press freezer paper to the back- cut it into *printer paper* size- make sure the edges are pressed firmly to the freezer paper then run it through my printer- I am currently using a canon- but used an hp successfully for years.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:11 PM

I bought the product sold through the EQ-7 people, and it worked very well. Do not assume it will magically stay, unless you follow the processing steps after printing to set the ink. That is really important! I tested mine with washing and it came out fine. How it will hold up over the years I do not know.

However, the way I used the photo material was to use a sepia filter or tonally correct the photo to shades of brown/black/cream/tan on the photo, replicate one photo 20 times on a page, then cut them up and used them in the 1 1/2" strips, so that it all blends in with the rest of the regular fabric and you have to look close to notice that some of it is a photo. And the photos are of course sentimental for the recipient- ducks from the college campus pond, our dear old dog, my son's favorite microbrew beer bottles...

I don't know about making a photo qwuilt where the photos are supposed to be actual photos like from a photo album, and then stay like that. I think they would fade like fabric.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I made one photo quilt. I had a print shop print my pictures on fabric. The pictures are still vivid and the quilt has been washed a lot.
That sounds like the best idea I have heard about printing photos on fabric. Thanks for the suggestion !!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
Honestly, I have yet to find ANY fabrics that will hold a photo unless I print them on my Grandmothers Epson printer. If I print it on my HP, NOTHING but black stays. This is because Epson inks are pigment ink ( permanent ) and HP inks are dye based ( water soluble ) . HP does make Vivera Pigment Ink. Make sure to check your ink to be sure it says PIGMENT and not DYE. A quick tell is if your printer uses 1 black cartridge and 1 tri-color cartridge your printer does not support pigment cartridges. Only those machines that use multiple color cartridges have the ability to use the pigment based cartridges ( and yep they cost more too ). This is why Hubs said the next time we go looking to get a printer, I am to get one that will support Pigment inks !
this is great information.... thanks... this question comes up so often... i think i will bookmark your reply
Old 02-07-2014, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by kathy View Post
I agree that epson is better but..... I use printed treasures fabric sheets, heat set with my iron, and rinse in warm (baby bath) water AFTER 24 hrs, my HP ink stays well, these quilts are washed 1-2 yrly.
Yes, I use Printed Treasures too - they have always worked wonderfully for me no matter what printer I happen to be using.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:18 AM

I use Printed Treasures. I use it for all of my labels. It washes well w/minimal fading. I did try the June Tailor product. Color washed out. My Easter egg label no longer looked like pretty colorful Easter eggs.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:46 AM

Printed Treasures works fine with an HP printer if you follow the directions properly. I had great results with a photo memory quilt. Amazon has a significantly better price with Prime shipping than Joann's or my lqs.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by katei View Post
Just wondering if anyone cam recommend fabric paper for printing photos on to. I bought a packet of (expensive!) paper to print photos on for a memory quilt. Fortunately I tested it out first and on the first light wash the photo faded considerably. Has anyone found a fabric paper that really works? Thanks.
I haven't used Bubble Jet it but know someone has. You treat your own fabric then print on it. It has directions for printing drying etc. if u follow the directions I don't think the printer matters.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:15 AM

I have used Printed Treasures w/o problem, but I cannot say if they faded or not. I did use an online site that prints pictures from a file. I wanted something larger than the 8X11. She had it printed and mailed to me within a week. $10 plus $1 shipping. I believe she would have put more than one picture on the same fabric if I had requested that. I needed some extra fabric around as I was making it a medallion.

www.fotosonfabric.com

Here is a picture of the picture already quilted. (it was a police themed quilt...hence the patch...)

note: no affiliation with this company, just a satisfied customer
Attached Thumbnails kens2.jpg  

Last edited by soccertxi; 02-07-2014 at 06:18 AM.