Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ITSY---- BITSY  Trash can >

ITSY---- BITSY Trash can

ITSY---- BITSY Trash can

Old 11-13-2010, 04:23 AM

I like the mini M & M tubes - for quarters, when I used to go to the laundromat. Now I just save the quarters - hold just over $10. Lots of uses for those little containers.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:46 AM

Have you ever made an ORT Jar - it's a smaller round fabric tubing that stands up on it's own or you can twist and collapse it. See the website below, it's so much fun to play with and use, that you will want to make more.

http://melinful.blogspot.com/2009/02...-tutorial.html
Old 11-13-2010, 04:55 AM
ajw

What's an ORT jar?
Old 11-13-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by DJRustic
I have an Itsy- Bitsy trash can for my hand piecing. I just keep it in my sewing basket. It is------ the container that you get Orbit gum in. I just pulled off all of the labels & walla..... my very own tiny trash can, might I also say " with a lid". I just love this thing, it is small enough to collect all of my threads snips. I am currently working on several EPP Grandmother's garden quilts & this is so handy for all my scraps.
So, go buy a container of Orbit ( I like the white bubblemint.... I like to chew & blow bubbles as I sew) Happy Sewing....................Donna, The Rustic Quilter
This would be great on a trip. Something to hold small things, needles, thimbles, etc. Great idea!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:06 AM

These are great ideas. I use Altoids metal containers to hold quilting needles - I put a magnetic strip (the kind on the back of memo pads) and just line them up on the strip. They do not go anywhere and I can pick out the size I want. Also, those plastic yoghurt containers make great little garbage cans too.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:23 AM

If you look at the website tutorial, it will show you what an ORT Jar is. I just say it's a small collapsible fabric trash or thread holder.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:34 AM

My dog eats Beneful Beef Stew in small plastic containters.
After I get ten together, they go to the quilting class with me. You should see the ladies -- it is like chickens going after corn. I always have an empty bag. Now their husbands and sons are wanting them to keep their nuts and bolts in. I always have a supply.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:15 AM

I save the plastic take home containers (the bigger square ones) that we get when we go out to eat at this one place. They are great for holding pieces as you cut them. The cover snaps shut to keep the dust out. I just stack them up, nice and neat.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 AM

I save the Tic Tac containers, they have 2 sizes and I put machine needles in them and write the size on top and line up in the front of my machine drawer. I also use ont for bobbin thread when I am putting on the binding just leave a piece hanging out and close the lid when ready open lid and pull thread to thread needle. I put anything in them that will fit. Don't chew gum but might buy a container of the gum and give it away so Ican have a container to take along for hand projects while on the go. Thanks for the idea
Old 11-13-2010, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Ort means scrap. The Ort jar is nifty but it took me almost 1/2 day make one.