Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jack F4 sewing machine problems >

Jack F4 sewing machine problems

Jack F4 sewing machine problems

Old 05-26-2019, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Ah, it's an industrial machine. It couldn't hurt to try FMQ with the feed dogs on, and the presser foot tension lowered. You might want to check if there's a burr on the hook --which can be polished off with a very fine sandpaper (400-600 grit). On my longarm, if the thread is shredding, I turn the needle slightly to the right. If it skips stitches, I turn it slightly to the left. The hook on your machine is sideways to most domestic machines, but I think the same could apply.
You don't need to lower the tension on your presser foot..that's what the hopping foot is for, when it is raised there is zero tension on your fabric, even with the feed dogs up..it hops upward every stitch..
Old 10-30-2020, 11:43 AM

Default Quilting on a Jack F4

I also quilt on a Jack F4. I purchased my machine in May 2020. I have had no problems really with FMQ on this industrial sewing machine. I use Glide, Aurilux, and Guttenberg poly threads with no issues. I have also pieced using cotton threads with no problems. I am currently using Juki 90/14 DBx1 needles but have ordered some Groz-Beckert needles to try as the Juki needles seem to dull quickly. I tried Organ needles but they made a "clicking" noise so I quit using them. I keep the feed dogs up, set to the stitch length to 0, cover the feed dogs with a Supreme Slider. I use a ruler foot always for quilting on this machine, even if I'm FMQing without using rulers. As others have mentioned try adjusting you needle, twisting it ever so slightly left or right and making sure the scarf is to the right. Remember to thread left to right. I hope that you have solved your problems with your Jack. It is a great machine to quilt with and produces fabulous stitches with no birds nest, skipped stitches or eyelases! And the throat space is awesome!
Old 10-30-2020, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Everyone thinks I'm crazy but I remember reading an article that said free motion quilting with the feed dogs up will damage the machine over time. I don't know why I didn't read that far because I wan't interested then. It has stayed with me not to do this. I have asked several techs about it and some say it's okay and some say no don't do it. I thought techs all learn the same thing. Ugh.
I think the misunderstanding here is noting that you have to use a hopping foot with the feed dogs up. It probably would put a lot of wear and tear on a machine if you use a regular foot with the feed dogs up and try to push and pull fabric through...with a hopping foot, the foot raises up between stitches, so it is very easy to move the fabric.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:37 AM

I could not get the jest of quilting with glide it seemed to shred for me. I use 50wt thread and it works for me. I read somewhere if you use glide to move the eye of the needle a little offset from center.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:59 AM

Default Fussy machines.

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I could not get the jest of quilting with glide it seemed to shred for me. I use 50wt thread and it works for me. I read somewhere if you use glide to move the eye of the needle a little offset from center.
Sometimes I think that some sewing machines are just finicky. I have a Janome 6600p that HATES Isocord thread. Just shreds it, coughs, and makes giant nests on the back. That Janome loves Glide, Aurilux, and Gutterman. My Jack F4 doesn't seem like any thread. Now that I have said that, I probably jinxed it and it will likely shred any thread I use. LOL