Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: Jacobs Ladder HST time saver!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kansas City area USA
    Posts
    445

    Jacobs Ladder HST time saver!!

    I have made a dozen Jacob Ladder quilts over the years and always use this method to make 4 1/2 inch HST...sew 2 4 7/8 peices of fabric together, pencil down the center, sew 1/4 inch from pencil mark and cut on pencil mark...WELL, last night, I had some time and went scrolling through the Tuterial section of this board and found ''quick way to create half square triangles'' ( the name to look for under Tutitorial ) and let me tell you....this method WORKS!!!! I used one 7 inch square of dark scrap fabric and one 7 inch square of light fabric...well starched first....layed them RST, sewed 1/4 inch around the edges and then sub cut from corner to corner and Viola, I had my 4 HST for one Jacobs Ladder Block!!! These 4 PERFECT HST, can also be put togetther in a scrappy type quilt as the 4 blocks put together, will give me a 8 1/2 finshed block. There is a ''formula'' on the 3rd page of the tutitorial, on how big to cut your dark and light squares, but I find it is always better to ''practice'' on scraps before I cut into my good fabric. Off now, to start another Jacobs Ladder for Christmas....in July!!!!!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    294
    I like this method, but be aware that all of your outside edges are now on the bias. For me, that's the only down side to this method.

  3. #3
    Super Member nhweaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Delmarva Peninsula
    Posts
    1,167
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks for sharing!
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

  4. #4
    Power Poster PaperPrincess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    10,464
    Blog Entries
    2
    Yes, the key is to make sure that your fabric is STARCHED HEAVILY. This will help keep the bias edges in line, but they still need to be handled gingerly.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kansas City area USA
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Yes, the key is to make sure that your fabric is STARCHED HEAVILY. This will help keep the bias edges in line, but they still need to be handled gingerly.
    ******************
    I totally agree.....I have always used Magic Spray sizing before I ever cut a piece of fabric to begin a quilt. Spray and iron back and forth, sideways, up and down....any way I feel like doing to that full size piece of fabric....then and only then....will I begin to cut my strips or squares of fabric. I get very little to NO shrinkage in a final quilt with out all the hassle of prewashing, drying and then ironing my fabric....color catchers stop any bleeding. For a small quilt, I use about a can of Magic sizing and I just finished a King size quilt that took almost 2 full cans. I also use sizing every time I set a seam but then I do NOT iron back and forth but just press the seam. Less than a dollar at Walmart!! If you can find the green can of sizing, it is the heavy duty sizing and IMO, better for this type of bias edge work, you are lucky!! Walmart only carries the blue can here, reg. strength and my grocery store carries the green can for double the price...still a lot cheaper that anything my LQS carries and it does NOT gum up your iron like startch does....spray and iron....no waiting!!

  6. #6
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,228
    For 4 1/2 inch use two squares cut at 10 inchs. draw an x and sew 1/4 in down each side of lines. Cut in half both ways then on lines. You will have 8 HSTs with no bias edges. Square up with Quilt in A Days triangle square up ruler, done with one cut, amazing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member hevemi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Turku, Finland
    Posts
    597
    The formula for Rose Marie's method which I also use is ( for any size HST):
    finished size of HST x 2 , then add 2" to this number, sew and cut+ trim as Rose Marie instructs.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Judi in Ohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    668
    Quote Originally Posted by jodimarie View Post
    I have made a dozen Jacob Ladder quilts over the years and always use this method to make 4 1/2 inch HST...sew 2 4 7/8 peices of fabric together, pencil down the center, sew 1/4 inch from pencil mark and cut on pencil mark...WELL, last night, I had some time and went scrolling through the Tuterial section of this board and found ''quick way to create half square triangles'' ( the name to look for under Tutitorial ) and let me tell you....this method WORKS!!!! I used one 7 inch square of dark scrap fabric and one 7 inch square of light fabric...well starched first....layed them RST, sewed 1/4 inch around the edges and then sub cut from corner to corner and Viola, I had my 4 HST for one Jacobs Ladder Block!!! These 4 PERFECT HST, can also be put togetther in a scrappy type quilt as the 4 blocks put together, will give me a 8 1/2 finshed block. There is a ''formula'' on the 3rd page of the tutitorial, on how big to cut your dark and light squares, but I find it is always better to ''practice'' on scraps before I cut into my good fabric. Off now, to start another Jacobs Ladder for Christmas....in July!!!!!
    Bonnie Hunter uses the Easy Angle rulers that I like, but I love Triangulations. The only problem is you make so many of the same. So I usually try to fix up a swap.
    Judi in Ohio

  9. #9
    Super Member crafty pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Live Oak, Texas
    Posts
    5,730
    Thank you all for the wonderful information. You make it sound so easy I am going to try them.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Toni C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Crosby,Texas
    Posts
    838

    Talking where is tutorial section

    [QUOTE=jodimarie;5278136] Tuterial section of this board
    I hate to sound stupid but how do you find this section? I love browsing thru tudes!

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New York City/Manhattan
    Posts
    1,324
    I like drawing grids of squares, size dependent on finished size of block, then drawing the diagonals and sewing 1/4" on either side of the line. In one fell swoop, I can do many more than four HST.

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,741
    Quote Originally Posted by EIQuilter View Post
    I like this method, but be aware that all of your outside edges are now on the bias. For me, that's the only down side to this method.
    Yes, the edges are on bias, but you are usually attaching to a straight grain, so the edges should not stretch. If you sew them together with bias side to the feed dogs, there should be no problem.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kansas City area USA
    Posts
    445
    [QUOTE=Toni C;5278700]
    Quote Originally Posted by jodimarie View Post
    Tuterial section of this board
    I hate to sound stupid but how do you find this section? I love browsing thru tudes!
    ********************
    scroll up to the top and click on ''HOME'', then go down to Tutiorials and enjoy!!!!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    Yes, the edges are on bias, but you are usually attaching to a straight grain, so the edges should not stretch. If you sew them together with bias side to the feed dogs, there should be no problem.
    As long as you are very careful when pressing them open. They can stretch easily before sewing together if you aren't careful....
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

    It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
    I like drawing grids of squares, size dependent on finished size of block, then drawing the diagonals and sewing 1/4" on either side of the line. In one fell swoop, I can do many more than four HST.
    This is a great, time-saving and accurate method. I also like Rose-Marie's X method when I just need 8 HSTs. No bias edges and much less need for starching.
    Maggie in Jerusalem
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/maggiemwdesigns

  16. #16
    Super Member tjradj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,329
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have a set of attachments, (right now I can't think of the name) that add to your ruler to show exactly how much to cut extra to make either half square triangles or quarter square triangles.
    They attach to the side of your ruler with suction cups. then for say, 2" blocks, you set your ruler to 2", but cut at the edge of the attachment. The one adds 7/8", the other adds more.
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

  17. #17
    Super Member fred singer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Grant county, WI.
    Posts
    7,569
    I always seem to forget the formulas measurements for these things
    Pegg


    Have a great day and happy sewing !

  18. #18
    Senior Member emlee51's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    669
    Great info...that's why I love the QB!!!!

  19. #19
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    Bias isn't a problem at all if you put a 1/2" strip of fusible interfacing diagonally and then cut. I buy it on a roll like tape.
    Got fabric?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    378
    Blog Entries
    1
    Where could I find the formula for Rose-Marie's HST

  21. #21
    Junior Member IraJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    246
    This is the method I always use as I don't like working with bias edges. I like that all the seams can be set with one press before I cut.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    For 4 1/2 inch use two squares cut at 10 inchs. draw an x and sew 1/4 in down each side of lines. Cut in half both ways then on lines. You will have 8 HSTs with no bias edges. Square up with Quilt in A Days triangle square up ruler, done with one cut, amazing.

  22. #22
    KR
    KR is offline
    Senior Member KR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Where it's warm & sunny all the time :-)
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
    For 4 1/2 inch use two squares cut at 10 inchs. draw an x and sew 1/4 in down each side of lines. Cut in half both ways then on lines. You will have 8 HSTs with no bias edges. Square up with Quilt in A Days triangle square up ruler, done with one cut, amazing.
    Oh, now that's cool....thanks! Found complete instructions on Eleanor's website.....may just have to get one of her rulers!
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift....that's why it's called the present.
    Karen

  23. #23
    Super Member feline fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,820
    Quote Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
    I like drawing grids of squares, size dependent on finished size of block, then drawing the diagonals and sewing 1/4" on either side of the line. In one fell swoop, I can do many more than four HST.
    This is what I do too, it is a great method and indespensible in patterns that require many HST. I don't mess around with the 7/8" larger either. I just go for the full 1" larger than my finished HST and cut down to size when squaring up.

  24. #24
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,228
    There is no formula. Just add 2 inchs for each size up. For 1 1/2 inch triangles use 4 inch blocks, for 2 1/2 in triangles use 6 inch blocks ect.
    Of course since they dont make rulers that size I just use a ruler with the extra 1/2 inch. It wastes a little fabric but not much.
    The triangle square up ruler is worth every penny it costs. After I show people how it works the go buy one.
    So easy to just make one cut for perfect HSTs.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    dang..I thought this would be about something NEW.,...Billie Lauder had done this for 15+ years....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.