Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 6600 >

Janome 6600

Janome 6600

Old 02-28-2015, 06:46 AM

I bought the blue bobbin and it really worked well. However, now that I have an HQ16 I would just adjust the tension of the regular bobbin. That is all the blue bobbin is-----a different tension----which seems scary but it easily changed.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:36 AM

I have a Janome 6600 new to me in December. I did have an eyelash problem yesterday (first time) but I had forgotten to change the tension. I use the walking foot and do free motion quilting and have been able to use many kinds of threads: Superior: King Tut, bottom line, metallic, so Fine, Mettlar both polyester and cotton, YSL, aurilfil, I even used some Dual Duty Coates and Clark and some kind of embroidery metallic. I think the SoFine 50 is the easiest one to use.

I do test all threads and adjust the upper tension. I did just buy the blue bobbin holder as I know you usually adjust the bottom bobbin for machine quilting and this keeps you from having to do it.

With some threads (metallics come to mind) you need to slow down. I never have the machine in the top speed mode. For finicky threads, right below the middle mode.

This machine has been a tension dream for me.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:36 AM

I have the Janome 6600 and I love it. I think I know what you mean about the "eyelashes" Before I start on my real quilt I get a practice sandwhich and play and adjust the tension until they go away - then I go to my project. I can tell you that the top tension is usually set really high when I FMQ.. like on 9. I don't know what the blue bobbin is. I will have to check into that.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:02 AM

I actually lower the tension when I FMQ as janome suggests When using metallics superior thread suggest a tension of 1! I guess you do what your particular machine needs. It also depends how your bobbin holder is adjusted. That's why they sell the blue dot ones. So you don't have to adjust bobbin holder for FMQ. On my old machine I adjusted the bobbin holder myself when needed. I had two. One for FMQ and another for other sewing. I'm not sure if the blue dot bobbin has made a difference on janome. I keep forgetting to switch it out and it hasn't made much difference.