Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 8900 vs Babylock Crescendo >

Janome 8900 vs Babylock Crescendo

Janome 8900 vs Babylock Crescendo

Old 07-08-2014, 04:47 AM

Have no idea how the dealer can say anything sews smoother than a BL. I have the Janome 7700 and it sews smooth, but not smoother than a BL. I think the buy sign is lit from that dealer. Please try and find a dealer who has or is willing to get the Crescendo for you to try. Make them take down the embroidery of the Ellisimo and let you try it. Then let them tell you the Janome is smoother. I am not knocking Janome, but really!
Originally Posted by beaglelady View Post
The Babylock and the Janome are at the same dealer. He seems to know more about the Janomes though. He was really pushing the Janome 8900 and thought I would like it for quilting. The lady that demonstrates the machines in the shop said Janomes were quieter and smoother to run than the Babylocks. They only had an Ellisimo Gold Babylock and it was set up for embroidery so I didn't get to try it. I wish they had one with the laser because I would really like to see it and try it before actually ordering a Crescendo.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:19 AM

I just bought a Crescendo and I am still learning the machine. I had an older machine that only had straight stitching with a 4in harp to the right of the needle, and sounded like a thrashing machine when I was machine quilting. I am constantly referring to my manual as the Crescendo has many features I didn't realize a machine had. I went originally for the Janome but after seeing Crescendo in action, I knew this was the machine for me. I love the laser light and the the pen and You tube also has information on how to set these up
Old 02-19-2016, 07:22 AM

Crescendo comes with Large table. not extra. I don't know anything about Janome but you owe it to yourself to test drive the Crescendo before you decide. I love mine. I love the dual feed foot and the laser.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:12 AM

I don't have either of those machines, never sewed on a Janome, but liked the BL Decorators Choice I had, really like my Walmart Brother. The reason I am posting is to state I wouldn"t have any machine that I had to unscrew screws to clean out my machine even if it made me eggs and toast in the morning.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:32 PM

I own a Janome 8900 and a Babylock Symphony. They are two very different machines. I like features on both of them but if I could only own one machine for me it would be the Janome. I love FMQ on it, so easy and the pop off plates are great. The Babylock is a very noisy machine, beeps at almost every step but I love the threader and the pivot feature. When Janome comes out with a large bed machine with pivot feature that doesn't cost as much as a car, I will probably say goodbye to the Babylock. I use it for applique because the pivot feature is fantastic. I hope Janome takes the Skyline 7 and stretches it to an 11" bed within the next year.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:15 PM

I went out today to test drive those two machines...at two different shops. At the first shop I tried the Crescendo - very nice (I wanted to try the Aria but it wasn't in stock. They don't carry Janome). Then to another shop to try the Janome 8900 ($2499). It, too, is quiet but I think I'm going for the Crescendo ($3499 at the first place, $4200 at the second). I currently have a Viking QE Designer II which I bought off a friend when she upgraded to a Pfaff. The 8900 doesn't have that pivot feature where the presser foot release and I really love that about the Viking. It just pops up when you take your foot off the pedal. I would have to go back to manually lifting the lever at the back of the presser foot or get used to the knee lift. The Crescendo shop will include the new feet for the walking foot and two years worth of service (usually only one year), and free lessons any time. Should I go for it?
Old 08-24-2016, 03:55 PM

yes you should. You will love the Crescendo. Have had mine for almost 3 years and have never regretted it for one moment.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:58 PM

I sold my Janome 6600 and bought a Crescendo ..it is amazing...but I loved my Janome...

I would stay away from Ellissimo
Old 08-25-2016, 06:29 PM

My Janome dealer is no longer carrying the 8900 -- there are some great new features in the 9400, the list price of the 8900 is close to the 9400 and most customers want the 9400 so he has heavily discounted his 8900. The 8900 has a different accufeed than the 7700 and I think the 9400 has a different one yet -- I prefer the built in accufeed that only needs a relatively small foot to be attached. The Crescendo foot is huge -- even bigger than the old walking feet.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:01 AM

I have the Crescendo and love it. I don't know anything about the other machine. However I think the price he is asking is way out of line. I would shop around for price and to actually test drive it.
I bought mine when they first came out, actually maybe 6 months later and I believe our local dealer charged in the $2000.00 range up to $2500
I bought one from him that had been sold at s local quilt show, NEVER used still in the box. The first owner took it home left on vacation and upon returning she exchanged it for one with the embroidery machine. So I got to pay her price, less than$2000 special show price with full warranty etc.