Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 8900 vs Babylock Crescendo >

Janome 8900 vs Babylock Crescendo

Janome 8900 vs Babylock Crescendo

Old 08-26-2016, 10:47 AM
Power Poster

Just realize that the laser beam only works for a certain size of squares. When the square is oversized - larger than what the beam can cover, you'll still have to draw the line. Other than that, she is a great machine and the price is good too.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:50 AM

I went for it! Love my Crescendo. I made a new sewing machine cover and experimented with some of the 40mm stitches - wow! almost 2" side to side. The thing moves laterally. Now I'm doing some applique but haven't found a foot that really lets me see where I am. I tried the open toe but it's acting like the feed dogs are down. I'll call the shop and find out what gives. All in all it is Happy Birthday and Merry Christmas - several times over.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:01 AM

I have had my crescendo for 3 years and LOVE it. The dual feed foot and pivot are great. I have a 1/4 inch foot for it and it makes piecing very easy and accurate. As someone said earlier the laser beam makes diagonal seams very easy- no lines to draw. Lighting is wonderful. The manual is very good with lots of illustrations.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:06 AM

I'm also machine shopping. My 70th birthday (YIKES!!) is coming up and I wanted to buy myself a special gift.

I love Brother and Babylock machines and have had several over the years. I've also had a Janome 6600 that I just couldn't bond with...and, yes, it was noisy, so I sold it within 8 months after purchasing it.

I've been "researching" different machines that I THINK I might be interested in and the one at the top of the list is the Crescendo. I don't care to do embroidery any more so a nice quilting machine is what I'm looking for.

My nearest dealer (of any kind!) is 100 miles away one-way so I've been emailing the Babylock/Brother dealer to make sure they have machines in the showroom for me to try out when I go in. Currently, they don't have a Crescendo and would have to order one. They told me to call them and we can talk about price and different machines.

In your experience, do you think I should hold out a couple months for Christmas sales, end of year models (?), etc. ?

It's hard to buy a machine nowadays. So many choices and features and prices to consider! It's like buying a car...haha...and almost as expensive
Old 09-26-2016, 12:37 AM

I went to Babylock dealer for Crescendo and he showed me the Janone 8900 but said he would bring in Crescendo for me to try out- Needless to say I ended up buying the Crescendo -For me the crescendo is well worth the money- it has 11.25 to the right of the needle, it has the laser light as you wanted, and I love the way it sews and quilts- I just finished a king size quilt on it and it was nice to have the larger area. The table comes with the Crescendo the lights are adjustable and makes quilting easier- there are many features I found on the Crescendo that the Janone did not have
Old 09-26-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by beaglelady View Post
I can't make up my mind! I went to the Janome & Babylock dealer today. I was planning to test drive the Crescendo but they did not have one in the shop. He did say he could order one for me, it would only take about a week. He showed me the Janome 8900 and said it had a lot of the same features as the Crescendo. I tried it out and it is a very nice machine, but I was interested in the laser beam on the Crescendo. He would give me a really good price on either of the machines. (I think) The Crescendo is $3600. and the Janome 8900 is $2497. including that nice big white table it fits into with drawers on the side. I guess my question is - do you think the Crescendo is worth $1200. more? Thank you for any help you can give me.
Love my Crescendo! It comes with a huge extension table.