Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome or Bernina >

Janome or Bernina

Janome or Bernina

Old 10-31-2010, 11:46 AM

Bernina! I too have the 440 and it's my second Bernina. It all comes down to a very well made machine, reliable and sturdy. I sewed for years on a Kenmore or a Singer and just happened to try a Bernina while taking a FMQ class with Harriet Hargrave 15 years ago. I couldn't believe what I was missing. Plus I've worked for a sewing machine dealer and the only time we ever saw a Bernina come into the repair department was just for basic yearly cleaning and maintenance.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by jemma
pfaff--pfaff all the way idt intagrated dual feed works++++++ janome has similar but i have never used one--threader +luxury thread ctter would be great
I have an old Pfaff with the IDT and I just love it for piecing quilt blocks, they all come out right!! I love my Berninas too, but they lack the IDT.
If you are considering a Bernina with the BSR, take a small quilt sandwich with your thread and try it first. I didn't like it.
Actually, if you have $8,000 you can get the new Eight series Bernina that now has an IDT system. I have a 640 and just love it. It is like sewing through butter! My old machine was a Pfaff Tiptronic and I loved the IDT. But I haven't needed it with the Bernina. I personally do not like the BSR and mine just sits in its box. I should probably just sell it. I have more control on the starts and stops if I do it myself. I have never tried a Janome since there wasn't a Janome store near by when I was shopping for a new machine. So I can't comment on them, but the Bernina is a great machine.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:12 PM

I have a Bernina 1090. It's 16 years old, but I LOVE it! Will never have anything but a Bernina. Good luck shopping.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by rosalyne
Hi the word is Bernina has been sold and Janome is now making the Berninas. Thats what I found out from my sewing machine sales owner. Interesting!
Hmmm....that doesn't sound right...I know that Janome makes some of the Kenmores.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:38 PM

I have the Bernina 430, it does everything I need. I love my Nina!
Old 10-31-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Originally Posted by rosalyne
Hi the word is Bernina has been sold and Janome is now making the Berninas. Thats what I found out from my sewing machine sales owner. Interesting!
Hmmm....that doesn't sound right...I know that Janome makes some of the Kenmores.
I also read on another forum that Janome was making some of the lower end Viking machines, but don't know if this is actually the case or not.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:55 PM

When it comes to Bernina and Janome you will have die hard fans on both sides... you will really need to go test drive them both and see what you think.

Having said that - I have a Janome 4900qc and love it. It's a fantastic machine. As much as I might have considered a Bernina, they are a little bit pricier which is a turn off to me.

No matter what you decide on this, you will be happy either way. :)
Old 10-31-2010, 02:28 PM

My first Bernina was a gently used 440 (a sweet machine) that I got for a great price. I then traded her for my current 730E (more bells and whistles). I just absolutely love my Bernina! I have used a Janome Gem Silver and it just didn't work for me at all (wanted to use it as a travel machine). Traded it in on one of the new Bernina 3 series, a little 330 which is just perfect for travel. Love them both!

That being said, you really need to go try both out extensively before you decide. Also, be willing to consider a gently used machine. That is the best way to get the most for your money.

Good luck, and don't forget to post pics for what you decide on. Have fun!
Old 10-31-2010, 02:38 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with either machine. I thought I wanted a Bernina, but The Janome dealer was closer, and won me over with customer service. The Bernina dealer lost the sale with her demeanor.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:08 PM

I saw the Horizon 7700 one day at the dealer's. It does not have independent bobbin winder, that I have come to love on my Babylock Ellegante. I use my Berninas for small jobs, and garment sewing. The Activa 240 is a dream for FMQ and buttonholes! I use my Babylock for embroidery mostly. I would say to take some swatches and quilt sandwiches with you to the dealer to test sew some samples on the machines you have interest in. That is the best way to choose which one you feel most comfortable with.