Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Janome Horizon - Calling all owners

Blog Entries
    I am seriously considering purchasing a Janome Horizon early next year and I'd like to hear from those of you who have one. What do you like about it? What do you not like about it? Thanks for all your input. It will be valued.

Kris

The best thing about it ...the smooth feel of the machine and the space. I love the stitches and am trying to make sure I use all of them:).

I am getting used to the needle threader. I find the one on my brother easier to use. I miss the alert that I have on my brother for when the bobbin thread is getting low. (I got lazy not having to look)

Blog Entries
    I have just got one, and so far I love it!!!, Nothing bad or annoying I have found yet. :)

Hello Kris,

Check out our JanomeHorizon7700 group on yahoo. I have this machine and love it.

My dealer had a used one traded in, but I just couldn't see spending the money on just a sewing machine. I have a 6500P with a larger quilting area that does just fine. I picked it up used for $600. I have an embroidery machine that could be used for quilting also with only a little less harp at about 8".

You might put your name in at your local dealer to see if they get one traded in. Christmas could come early?

Love it, love it, love it!!!!! So many great features and can't say enough about the accu feed system for quilting. You certainly won't be disappointed. Have had mine a little over a year.

Other than the Bernina 820 ($6500) or 830 ($10,000+), the Janome Horizon has the longest harp- 11" of any domestic sewing machine. I think even the Bailey 13" "short arm" costs more than the Horizon, and the Horizon is a top of the line, sewing-only machine, with hundreds of stitches, built-in dual feed, and features galore. So test drive it, haggle on price, and if it suits you, GO FOR IT. Because the extra room in the harp really is worth it, and it's also a great sewing machine. The Janome Horizon yahoo group is very active, informative, supportive, and friendly. Plus, there are many Horizon owners on QB also.

I purchased mine Feb of this year, LOVE IT!!! I would encourge you to get the large spool holder add-on, my dealer was out when I picked mine up but I had it within a week. The space and lighting are GREAT!!! GET IT!

I love my Horizon! I've had it for about nine months and really put it through its paces. I especially like FMQ on it; I've never had to adjust the tension to get beautiful stitches.

Go for it!

Blog Entries
    I have been looking in to getting the Horizon, thank you for all the info.

Blog Entries
    I am very seriously considering buying a Janome Horizon with my Income Tax money next year and would like some information from ya'll please.

What do you like best about your Janome? What drives you the most nuts about it? Any special advice about buying one?

Please don't post if you are only going to advise me to buy a different machine. My mind is made up to buy a Janome Horizon so your post would only be a waste of time and effort.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Kris

Go to the search feature above and search the postings. There have been many on this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris 2011
    I am very seriously considering buying a Janome Horizon with my Income Tax money next year and would like some information from ya'll please.

What do you like best about your Janome? What drives you the most nuts about it? Any special advice about buying one?

Please don't post if you are only going to advise me to buy a different machine. My mind is made up to buy a Janome Horizon so your post would only be a waste of time and effort.

Kris
    I have the Horizon -- so let me count the ways.

-- I had the 6500 and loved it (DD has it now), but I wanted the accufeed and a freearm, the Horizon has both.
    -- the lighting is great -- it is much easier for old eyes to see to thread and the quilting.
    -- there is a door on the upper left side of the head that allows you to get in there and clean out the fuzz that accumulates when you sew
    -- there is a lot of room under the harp for quilts
    -- the machine is quiet -- which in nice since you can tell if a needle is getting dull by the noise.

Every machine is a bit different -- I have not used the single hole feature much because I like a scant 1/4" and there is no room to move the needle over.

There is a Yahoo group that is devoted to the 7700 that you may find interesting.

I love my Horizon. I had the 6600 and hated it, it always dragged the fabric into the hole all the time and wasn't thrilled with the Acufeed on the 6600.

When I got the Horizon, I was thrilled that the fabric dragging into the hole wasn't happening, it's so quiet, I love the extra space and the lighting is awesome.

It is by far the best machine I own. I have the 11000SE from Janome as well, and I never use it now. The Horizon is just such a joy to use.

Blog Entries
    I checked this machine when I was looking for a new one. Nice machine. I did not buy it because I was told by the dealer that the warranty did not move with the machine. Now, this may or may not be true, but that is what I was told by the dealer in my area. It was the biggest reason I did not buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris 2011

Kris
    I have the Horizon -- so let me count the ways.

-- I had the 6500 and loved it (DD has it now), but I wanted the accufeed and a freearm, the Horizon has both.
    -- the lighting is great -- it is much easier for old eyes to see to thread and the quilting.
    -- there is a door on the upper left side of the head that allows you to get in there and clean out the fuzz that accumulates when you sew
    -- there is a lot of room under the harp for quilts
    -- the machine is quiet -- which in nice since you can tell if a needle is getting dull by the noise.

Every machine is a bit different -- I have not used the single hole feature much because I like a scant 1/4" and there is no room to move the needle over.

There is a Yahoo group that is devoted to the 7700 that you may find interesting.
    Ditto

I have the Horizon & love it. I like the extra room in the harp area, but of course, could always use more. I try to remember to use the single hole feature & like it when I do. I also use the knee lift. The thing I don't like about it is the needle plate is a little hard to remove for cleaning the bobbin area.

Banned
    I have the Horizon and truly do love it. I love the lighting and the feel of the machine. I think it's a powerful machine and well worth the money.
    The only time I get goosey is when I do a thorough cleaning. You have to be careful when you are putting the throat plate back on the machine because (on mine, anyway) it feels a little stiff. The dealer I bought my machine from was really specific about taking care to put the throat plate back on. And it can be a little cumbersome to change to the dual feed feet (the built in walking foot, or Accufeed system). It's not impossible and after you've done it a couple of time you'll be fine with it, but in the beginning it can be a bit clumsy. And don't forget to engage the gizmo called the "dual feed device" if you are using dual feed. That in conjunction with the dual feed feet make the machine stitch in dual feed
    You'll find that there are a couple of tricks with the machine that you will learn as you go. And the suggestion about the yahoo group for Horizon users is a good one to join.
    Best wishes with your Horizon. It is a great machine.

I love my Horizon....
    the lighting
    the Accu-feed system
    Runs smoothly and rather quietly
    The 11" harp space makes it wonderful for machine quilting
    The knee lift is especially nice when grid quilting
    Just seems to be an all-around great machine!

What is the going price for the Horizon now? Are there good or bad times to get a sale? What about during the fair?

Love my Horizon! Can recommend it to you, I've used mine lots for over a year and it FMQ's beautifully. Buy it!!!

I am curious as to the price of the janome horizon also. I went and looked at the berninas today,but they were a tad pricey for my pocketbook. We dont have a janome dealer close so will have to travel to look, but would like to know approximate pricing also

I just read this review on the Horizon and it kinda scared me...now I am more confused.
    http://www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-qu...entry-122.html This is from last year and refers to Canada, but isn't Jenome's policy the same everywhere?

That was when they first came out, and like automobiles.....there can be a lemon out there. Maybe you should that experience is the best teacher, and those of us who have had them for a year or more are giving them rave reviews. I am one of the people, who didn't like the first 1/4" foot; but Janome replaced it with a newer design after finding out some owners were having issues. Now the newer one is standard with them. I have sewn, quilted, and done some blanket stitch applique with mine so far.