Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Horizon - Calling all owners >

Janome Horizon - Calling all owners

Janome Horizon - Calling all owners

Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 AM

I am very seriously considering buying a Janome Horizon with my Income Tax money next year and would like some information from ya'll please.

What do you like best about your Janome? What drives you the most nuts about it? Any special advice about buying one?

Please don't post if you are only going to advise me to buy a different machine. My mind is made up to buy a Janome Horizon so your post would only be a waste of time and effort.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Kris
Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 AM

Go to the search feature above and search the postings. There have been many on this machine.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kris 2011
I am very seriously considering buying a Janome Horizon with my Income Tax money next year and would like some information from ya'll please.

What do you like best about your Janome? What drives you the most nuts about it? Any special advice about buying one?

Please don't post if you are only going to advise me to buy a different machine. My mind is made up to buy a Janome Horizon so your post would only be a waste of time and effort.

Kris
I have the Horizon -- so let me count the ways.

-- I had the 6500 and loved it (DD has it now), but I wanted the accufeed and a freearm, the Horizon has both.
-- the lighting is great -- it is much easier for old eyes to see to thread and the quilting.
-- there is a door on the upper left side of the head that allows you to get in there and clean out the fuzz that accumulates when you sew
-- there is a lot of room under the harp for quilts
-- the machine is quiet -- which in nice since you can tell if a needle is getting dull by the noise.

Every machine is a bit different -- I have not used the single hole feature much because I like a scant 1/4" and there is no room to move the needle over.

There is a Yahoo group that is devoted to the 7700 that you may find interesting.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 AM

I love my Horizon. I had the 6600 and hated it, it always dragged the fabric into the hole all the time and wasn't thrilled with the Acufeed on the 6600.

When I got the Horizon, I was thrilled that the fabric dragging into the hole wasn't happening, it's so quiet, I love the extra space and the lighting is awesome.

It is by far the best machine I own. I have the 11000SE from Janome as well, and I never use it now. The Horizon is just such a joy to use.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 AM

I checked this machine when I was looking for a new one. Nice machine. I did not buy it because I was told by the dealer that the warranty did not move with the machine. Now, this may or may not be true, but that is what I was told by the dealer in my area. It was the biggest reason I did not buy it.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
Originally Posted by Kris 2011

Kris
I have the Horizon -- so let me count the ways.

-- I had the 6500 and loved it (DD has it now), but I wanted the accufeed and a freearm, the Horizon has both.
-- the lighting is great -- it is much easier for old eyes to see to thread and the quilting.
-- there is a door on the upper left side of the head that allows you to get in there and clean out the fuzz that accumulates when you sew
-- there is a lot of room under the harp for quilts
-- the machine is quiet -- which in nice since you can tell if a needle is getting dull by the noise.

Every machine is a bit different -- I have not used the single hole feature much because I like a scant 1/4" and there is no room to move the needle over.

There is a Yahoo group that is devoted to the 7700 that you may find interesting.
Ditto
Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 AM

I have the Horizon & love it. I like the extra room in the harp area, but of course, could always use more. I try to remember to use the single hole feature & like it when I do. I also use the knee lift. The thing I don't like about it is the needle plate is a little hard to remove for cleaning the bobbin area.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Banned

I have the Horizon and truly do love it. I love the lighting and the feel of the machine. I think it's a powerful machine and well worth the money.
The only time I get goosey is when I do a thorough cleaning. You have to be careful when you are putting the throat plate back on the machine because (on mine, anyway) it feels a little stiff. The dealer I bought my machine from was really specific about taking care to put the throat plate back on. And it can be a little cumbersome to change to the dual feed feet (the built in walking foot, or Accufeed system). It's not impossible and after you've done it a couple of time you'll be fine with it, but in the beginning it can be a bit clumsy. And don't forget to engage the gizmo called the "dual feed device" if you are using dual feed. That in conjunction with the dual feed feet make the machine stitch in dual feed
You'll find that there are a couple of tricks with the machine that you will learn as you go. And the suggestion about the yahoo group for Horizon users is a good one to join.
Best wishes with your Horizon. It is a great machine.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:51 PM

I love my Horizon....
the lighting
the Accu-feed system
Runs smoothly and rather quietly
The 11" harp space makes it wonderful for machine quilting
The knee lift is especially nice when grid quilting
Just seems to be an all-around great machine!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:58 PM

What is the going price for the Horizon now? Are there good or bad times to get a sale? What about during the fair?