Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Janome mc6600

Yea, Coats and Clarks is a no no, even the machine dealer says not to use those old time threads. I use Mettler in mine. The Connecting Threads are good too, just a little linty though. I always had nesting problems, so I got some bobbin washers, Magic Genie I think is their name. They work great. It keeps the bobbin from jumping in the case when you sew. Especially good for machine embroidery.

I never hold my threads at the beginning and don't use a leader piece of fabric. I deal with the little nest at the beginning, don't care. When you have an automatic thread cutter you have to go searching for threads to grab so it's not efficient, timewise, to keep doing that with every piece you're sewing.
    Last edited by Jamiestitcher62; 02-05-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Laura

I had an awful time in the beginning. I have to be very careful putting the bobbin in and threading the machine. Also you need to hold those threads during the first couple inches. I got a routine down that works and now do not have the problem.

I have a Janome mc6000p which I got last Friday - so not even a week ago. I read, read, read everything on here before I bought it and joined the yahoo group, too. That's a great place - search yahoo groups janome 6600 and you'll have to ask to join the group. They have files there where questions have been answered. I did have to adjust the tension at first. (My husband did it so I'm not sure which way he went.) The manual has a good picture of correct tension with advice on how to fix it - that's what my husband used. I have ordered a bobbin made just for free motion quiltiong - it has a blue dot on it instead of the red one that came with the machine. I got it off Amazon for around $25. I am also getting the Magic Genies mentioned here.

I have no trouble piecing, but when quilting was having some issues. It gets better each time I sew. In my case it's a matter of getting used to the necessary speed to get a good stitch - without birds nests and loops on the back.

Hope you get some good answers soon!
    So many quilts, so little time.

I have this machine too and I only use Aurifil to piece and when I machine quilt I usually use Connecting Threads thread and it works pretty well, but it does make a lot of lint. I have found that the thread makes a huge difference in how the machine sews.
    Juliebelle

What is happening is the thread is coming out of the take up leaver...to help this run th thread backwards thru the takeup leaver, inotherword left to right.. Also a good thread will help. I talked with a Jerome rep and she said they were await of the problem.
    Vicki Mc in SC
    www.jacksonpatchquilt.blogspot.com

Are you holding the thread taut at the top of the machine while threading? You want to make sure you're hearing it "click" in the tension spring. I've had my 6600 for 4 years and no problems either, although I do find that it loves the aurifil thread best!

I am glad I am not the only one who has a fussy machine, mine does not like C and C thread either. But once I got the thread issue squared away my 6600 runs like a dream. Hope you get your machine working ok, I just love mine

Ben, I sent you a PM with some information that may help.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I bought my Janome 6600 a year and a half ago and she runs like a dream even with Coats & Clark. Definitely take it back and have it tuned. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    No insulate taken but she's had problems off and on from the start. I just talked with her and she's using gutterman thread currently.
    I just got a Janome 6600 in Jan, from a dealer, it was the floor model. I absolutely LOVE it !
    I have used all kinds of thread in it, because I was learning to use it.. did not want to waste my expensive stuff.
    It has "bucked" a few times, but I realized it was "operator error" that caused it and was able to correct it.
    Since I have played around and found out what I need to do to make it not pull material in and bind up the bobbin, as I said ... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT !
    As other posts have said, make sure it is threaded correctly..
    bobbin wound correctly, if not threaded correctly, it can wind too tight or too loose)
    and put the needle down in fabric,. not on the edge.. you may need to use a starter piece to be sure to sew on the edge of the material...

I've had this machine for almost five years and no big problems. I've used all kinds of thread. I've noticed that when a dealer says you have to use only a certain brand that's the brand they sell. I don't think that's a coincidence. You do have to be careful about the thread coming out of the take up lever and I also use a sew-on/sew-off square when I'm piecing. Hope your dealer can help you. If you can get the problem solved, I think your wife will love the machine.

Blog Entries
    I also have a 6600 and love it. I give it a hard workout almost daily. Evelyn does not like C&C thread. She works well with Gutterman and Connecting Threads thread. I love the way people on this board jump in and try to help anyone with a problem. Great group of quilters!!
    Dreams Do Come True
    Good friends are like quilts - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth.

hope all works out at the dealer. few things so disappointing for a sewist/ quilter as getting your dream machine that turns out to be a nightmare. I bought a $10,000 paperweight from BNina; dealer and tech support make all the difference. Now I sew happily along everyday on a Janome. Best regards and many happy sewing days.

Blog Entries
    I have not read this whole thread so don't know if someone already told you, but I've had the same problem with my Janome 6600P many times. Last year I finally took it to the dealer, cause I was going nuts with this problem. They helped me to analyze what was going on. It seems like a bobbin problem, but it is really a problem with the upper area of your threading.

Although I initially threaded it correctly, sometimes, (for an as unyet determined reason) the thread hops out of the silver thread take-up lever and goes directly from the tension regulating dial down to the needle area. Simply lift the foot, and totally rethread the top of the machine to solve the problem. One thing they told me to do is listen for the little click as the thread enters the top of the silver thread take up lever. There is some little tiny mechanism there that is supposed to help the thread stay in that arm as it goes up and down, and indeed, you can hear it click as the thread passes into the slot on that arm. I've found that now it still happens, but I at least know what to do to solve the situation.

I love my Janome now, even with its idosynchronicities, and hope you have great luck getting on top of this issue to love yours as well.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

I suffered through this problem for months when I bought my Janome 6600. I had a huge stash of Guterman thread and no matter what I did, the Janome despised that thread. Took my machine back to the dealer over and over again without any success. I believe they were beginning to think I was nuts because it wouldn't act up when I was in there. I had already decided it was a lemon. THEN, a friend suggested I use the Magic Bobbin Washers. She gave me one to try and I never had another problem. I can sew with any thread with no further problems. Those little washers look like enlarged circular paper reinforcements. They work like a charm and I now use them in ALL my sewing machines, including the Featherweights.Name:  MagicBobbinWashers_Prod.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  46.4 KB
    Karen in Kentucky

I believe Janome in general have more problems with birds nests on the back as several of my friends and I have had problems with that too. I got Magic Genie at the suggestion of one of those friends. It is a little ?silicone disc that fits in the bobbin area and seems to calm down the thread. It works for me with my Horizon and a friend who has the big fancy top of the line Janome. I do notice that Coats and Clark and Metrosene work best in my machine. I ordered my Magic Genie from Clotilde, now Annies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Has anyone ever had trouble with this machine? I bought my wife this machine for Christmas and were have trouble with it already, it jams up and leaves a rats nest on the bottom side like the bobbin isn't quite right and we rethread everything and sews good for a while then messes up again. And I can't get it to sew for me to save my life. I've come to the conclusion that it don't like me a bit! Any info would be great. Thanks in advance!
    When I bought mine I had some bobbins that were like the ones that came with my machine but weren't the Janome brand. I had problems sewing with these. My dealer said that the machine is picky that way. You have to buy their brand of bobbins. I haven't had any problems since.

I love my machine and have had it for several years and it has made umteen quilts! Jean quilts, poly, slippery throws, cotton hi loft, low loft etc.

You might check if it is threaded correctly, buy the best thread you can afford, I only use Janome bobbins and then I throw the bobbin away after about 5 times it has been filled. The bobbins are plastic and my thought is that they will stretch after alot of use. The bobbins are inexpensive and I get a whole bunch I think about 20 or so per package.

If you bought the machine from a Janome dealer take it back for adjustment or instruction. With this machine it does so many things you really need to take the class to see all it's workings.

Sorry you are haveing the problem - it has been a work horse for me and I have had 7 Janome machines and would not have another brand.

You should have a warrantee but remember the warantee is only good if you use a certified Janome repair.

I sure hope all these suggestions help and I hope you will soon be stitching happily along.

I've have had my Janome 6600 for over 5 years. I LOVE LOVE it and other than having the board replaced, under warranty, I've never had any problems. I can use any kind of thread or fabric, I can scrappy quilt or do a pieced quilt, it works equally well. If I were you, I'd go back to the dealer, maybe you got a lemon? Good Luck!
    Grandma Jan

Blog Entries
    Hi Ben,
    I have had my Janome 6600P for 7 1/2 years now and I love it. I got one of the first ones released, which is not always a good idea, but it worked out fine for me. Most of my minor issues were related to my "operator error". Rethreading and /or reinserting the bobbin thread corrected things immediately. (I still refer to my manual regularly.) I have been known to use all kinds of threads and generally they all work well. I need to clean my bobbin case more often with some of them. My theory is to try it.
    It is a solid machine and if your wife can hang in there, I bet she will love hers too. Good luck
    Pat

I know this may seem like a small deal. But carefully check the bobbin area. Especially where it is going through the part that the thread is pulled through.I found a picture to show the area I am talking about. Tiny pieces of lint can get caught in here and mess up your stitches. I found this out when my Brother PE 770 started messing up stitches. It saved me a $150.00 service call.

Also if you can check the whole threading route for any lint, I use unwaxed floss to do this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Before taking it in, try unplugging it overnight and then plug it back in and try ut out again. I couldn't get my Bernina to work at all, so I unplugged it and it sat for two weeks until I could take it to the dealers. When he plugged it in, it ran fine. It had to be that it reset by unplugging it. So try that first! And if that doesn't help, leave some fabric with the rat's nest on the sewing machine so they can see what it is doing for you in case it doesn't do that for them. The girl at the dealers said so many times people bring in their machines and they work fine for the dealers. So have proof!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Before taking it in, try unplugging it overnight and then plug it back in and try it out again. I couldn't get my Bernina to work at all, so I unplugged it and it sat for two weeks until I could take it to the dealers. When he plugged it in, it ran fine. It had to be that it reset by unplugging it. So try that first! And if that doesn't help, leave some fabric with the rat's nest on the sewing machine so they can see what it is doing for you in case it doesn't do that for them. The girl at the dealers said so many times people bring in their machines and they work fine for the dealers. So have proof!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I have this machine and love it, it is a work horse. The only thread it is not fond of is coats and clark. When I use that thread I have to adjust the tension. Make sure you check the tension on the bobbin. Tighten or loosen the screw on bobbin. The bobbin should barely lift up from your hand when pulling the thread.
    I use all sorts of thread on this machine but it likes Connecting threads, Embroidery thread from Thread Arts and I now use bobbin thread that is 60 wt. I love using this.
    pjamerican

Blog Entries
    I have a Janome 6600 and love it. No problems,but I would also check the bobbin. Make it's one that fits the Janome.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast