Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Janome MC9500, Craiglist find

I have 2 of them. Bought one from a local dealer 3 years ago for $1499. Last year while that one was in the shop for mainteance, I bought another one from All Brands. I paid $1600 for it. Took 3 days to arrive. They were both brand new!! I love that machine. I have convinced 4 other friends to buy the same model; none have paid $2000. Check around on line. They are so user friendly, I don't think it is necessary to buy it local for the lessons. I just checked the price at allbrands.com. A brand new one at All Brands is $1999. Why buy a used?
    Be an organ donor
    Give your heart to Jesus

Blog Entries
    I would be concerned because there were alot of sewing machines stollen i think in PA or NJ if i can recall it may have been the janome brand I could be wrong but I would look into it. if its to good to be true there could be issues.
    Warm Regards,
    Sandra

Thanks mrsmail...and why buy used? Because I can't afford the $2,000 price tag. I am going to the local store today to look to see what they have and also wait to see if she sends pictures.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

About that machine from Craigslist....are you close enough to actually put your foot to the metal??????If not, I would not even think about it...and she wants CASH ONLY...sounds shady to me, but then I am cynical about these things ever since my daughter almost got caught in a scam on that list.....$1500.00 bouncy check worth!!! thank goodness, local police said don't cash it, it is not worth the paper it is printed on....and they don't pursue these criminals...so I don't even look at that list...that is what stores are for.......

Yes, the town is about 10 mins from here so I can look at it first. I will take hubby with me too. I am very cautious too so I will make sure it works BEFORE I had her the cash.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew

Blog Entries
    I have 3 different Janome machines and would recommend them to anyone. I'd say go ahead if you are happy with what you see. Ask to try it. I have never heard a bad word from anyone about Janome machines.

She sent pictures. It was not plugged in but the machine looked in good shape. I do want to see it run and told her that. So now to see it, talk price but first convince hubby. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    About that machine from Craigslist....are you close enough to actually put your foot to the metal??????If not, I would not even think about it...and she wants CASH ONLY...sounds shady to me, but then I am cynical about these things ever since my daughter almost got caught in a scam on that list.....$1500.00 bouncy check worth!!! thank goodness, local police said don't cash it, it is not worth the paper it is printed on....and they don't pursue these criminals...so I don't even look at that list...that is what stores are for.......
    Cash only is the only way to sell via CL. So, she's entirely appropriate in wanting payment in cash due to all the scams out there! I sell occasionally on CL and require cash only as well. This isn't shady, it's reality:>

Quote Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
    She sent pictures. It was not plugged in but the machine looked in good shape. I do want to see it run and told her that. So now to see it, talk price but first convince hubby. Lol.
    Cool. Good luck convincing hubby. Back rubs help:>

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Cool. Good luck convincing hubby. Back rubs help:>
    lol...well noted. He just spent the entire evening working on his boat so maybe I can convince him.
    Sabrina

Quote Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
    I called the place where she had it serviced last, which isn't far from the house, to ask how much it would cost to get it serviced. $90, is that bad?
    I think that's reasonable. It cost $60 to have my Brother Innovis 4000D serviced before I sold it but it was used frequently an there was absolutely nothing that needed fixing or adjusting so I was just charged for the cleaning.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

I recently paid $90 to have my Janome 6600 serviced.....runs great and worth the investment. Sounds like you've found the pot at the end of the rainbow! Good Luck.
    Linda

I have one bought new in 2004 for $1999.99 which included a walking foot and 1/4" foot which are normally bought separate. Have used for quilting and embroidery and happy with it. It came with 2 sizes embroidery hoops. I would hope you could get it cheaper.

Ask how long it has been in the box, or sitting around. It could be up to three years. If so, be aware that the "innards" could be frozen.
    Good luck.
    SandyQuilter

She stated she bought it two years ago and hardly used it so I would say it has been sitting for around 2 years. Though she did say she has used for light hemmng.

Are the machines loud? Is there a sound I should listen for? The only machine I have used since I started in Nov is the one in my avatar, 1966/1967 Singer.
    Sabrina

I have the Janome MC 9500. I have never had a problem and mine is about 6 years old. At that time I paid $1,800. I bought it from Ken's Sewing Center in Florence/Muscle Shoals, Al. I really like mine. The only thing I wish was different was the size of the hoops and I can't make the writing small enough, although I have made several quilt labels on it. As far as the kind of thread, you should use spool embroidery thread for your embroidered pieces.

Sounds like she would let you try it out. If it works, I'd go for it.

You ask about loudness. I have that machine and don't think it is loud but nothing else to compare it to. Just sounds normal. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2