Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Janome? Viking? Pfaff? Bernina?

Blog Entries
    I have three Janomes..#1 22 years old, #2 17 years old, #3 10 years old. NONE have ever seen the inside of a machine shop for service or repair. Talk about workhorses, they last and last and I will probably put them in my will so they will go on living after I am gone. LOL

Blog Entries
    I have been using a Janome Memory Craft can't remember model for some 25 years, it has never missed a beat, and my patchwork teacher who swears by berninas said it was the quietest machine she has heard. I love it, but then we don't all love the same things

Janome all the way! I have the Horizon now but have had the 6500 and the 6600. For class I have the 3160QC and love it!

I have to chime in my two cents here for the person that said look at the babylocks, because i love love my babylock. Best machine I have ever own. Even my teacher who said she has own different machines from different manufacturers and is a die hard bernina fan said the only machine she would have other than a bernina is a babylock

Blog Entries
    I have a Janome 6500 and Love it. BUT... I highly reccomend that you decide what is most important to you of what you want and need. Make a list, research online and then GO and VISIT local dealers. TEST DRIVE their machines.
    They all have a different feel and what I like you may not and what you like I might not.

They have no problem letting you actually sew on their demo machines. When I was buying mine, it took me forever and I tried all kinds! Best idea I ever had! SO GO TEST SEWING! and have fun while do it!

I love my Brother NX 2000 (Laura Ashley version). MOST important is the dealer you purchase from and that they are totally familiar with the machine they are selling!

I have a Viking. I love the scissors and needle down.
    Love my machine. If I was spending $$$$ I would buy the top of the line Brother or Babylock. They have a automatic needle threader. Just press a button and it threads like magic.
    (Pfaff and Viking are made by the same people. the same as baby lock and Brother. Don't know about the others.
    LC

Blog Entries
    If you are looking at a high end machine, make sure there are shops nearby for service. A friend bought a Viking. The shop closed. Now she drives 3 hours for service. There are 2 Bernina dealers within an hours drive. She now wishes she bought a Bernina.

I'll chime in about my Horizon, love it. Also love my Babylock. The dealer is very important so check them out. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Blog Entries
    I have a Pfaff and a Bernina I love both and use them for different things but the Bernina is really tops more power even though I have to put the walking foot on it is much better than the IDT foot also the stitch regulator is the most wonderful thing ever and best of all no plastic parts but what ever way you go you need a good dealer

i have three janome and one bernia love them both and havent had much trouble. i would love to have a horizon but hubby thinks i have enough machines.

I think all of your considerations are good machines, with the exception of a Bernina, which is a FABULOUS machine. If it were me, I would check Craigslist for a lightly used Bernina...I love, love, LOVE mine. Feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions. I have also owned a Janome 6600, so I can contrast and compare if needed. Have fun with your search. :-D

Depends on your budget and what you will use it for. Berninas are always more expensive. After owning Berninas forever, and their changing feet, software etc. so it would not work with the older models, I went to Pfaff. Have never looked back, LOVE my Pfaff 2170. Smooth as silk, has the built in walking foot, and does everything beautifully.

Blog Entries
    I am sooooo excited!!! Just plunked down a deposit to order the new Janome Horizon 12000!!!! It's going to be totally worth the big bucks for all those wonderful stitches and capabilities. I also have another Janome embroidery machine (the 11000SE) that I'm trading in for this new model...it has been a whole lot of fun to play with doing all my quilting and little embroidery craft projects...and I think it's much easier to use than my Bernina 730. Sometimes, I wonder just what will happen with these machines in the next 20 years or so. Aren't we the lucky ones to have access to so many choices of wonderful sewing machines?

Blog Entries
    Go for it!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by psquared52
    I absolutely LOVe my Janome6600. Am seriously considering the 12000.

my viking 990 is 30 yrs old and still chugging away, it would be my pick!

Janome and then Bernina. But try them all out and see what is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Bernina

Blog Entries
    BERNINA.............hands down, no question in my mind

I have a 20 year old Pfaff creative 1471, and the only problem ever (which I now know is a chronic Pfaff problem) is that tiny pieces of thread can jam the machine and cannot be cleaned out at home. It costs me 120$ about yearly or more to get the repairman to get the thread out so I can continue sewing. For my next machine I think I will get a Bernina with an oscillating bobbin.

I have sewn on a Janome and I liked it. I use to have a Viking but I sold it, and bought a Bernina. It has the stitch regulater and you set your speed with a button, I love my Bernina, has so many options, so much you can do with it. I would shop around and try out several before you buy one.

I'm a Janome fan. I have a Horizon and a little Gem and love them both.

I have a 15 year old Viking Designer 1. I love it!! It does go in for cleaning every other year but otherwise it has NEVER been in for repair. It does everything and you can get them used now in excellent condition for $500.
    I do agree that it is very important for you to try the different brands out. It is also very important you have a local repair person just in case.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaw
    I am a huge Janome fan and highly recommend the Horizon...it has a larger throat space than the 6600 and better lighting. Has the same accufeed system and I love mine.
    I also have the Horizon and love it

I love my Berninas and would recommned this machine.
    Do your research and see what machine will have what 'you' want in a machine. Sew on as many as you can. Theres nothing like sitting down at a machine and sewing on it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast