Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome? Viking? Pfaff? Bernina? >

Janome? Viking? Pfaff? Bernina?

Janome? Viking? Pfaff? Bernina?

Old 10-29-2011, 06:14 AM

Research your choices and test drive each one. Take fabric, thread you would most likely use and sew, sew, sew on each one, testing the tension, the strength of the feed dogs (my Viking does not have a good grip on the fabric as it feeds through) and anything else you can think of that you do on a regular basis. Good luck on you choice.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:24 AM

Check out the Brother and Babylock's! My favorites!!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 AM

Hi everyone, I love to read about the different brands of machines you all own and how you have your favourites. What intrigues me is that I have never read about anyone on the QB owning or using any industrial machines. Mine are industrial and I wouldn't be without them. They make a huge difference in the time spent sewing and are so much easier as the head of the machine is set into a four foot by two foot bench which gives so much more flat usable work space. The foot treadle, which is about ten inches by twelve inches is firmly attached to the base of the bench and doesn't slip away and hide if you take your eyes off it. It is always there for you ready and waiting like a faithful puppy . The bench for each machine is the same height and same dimensions so they can be butted up to each other which increases your workspace tenfold. You can have an automatic backtack and trimmer (this cuts your threads off or not (your choice) with the press of a preset button). The benches can be arranged back to back and end to end so that what we sew doesn't keep going only to end up on the floor on the other side. I am not trying to convert anyone but you would not believe the difference in what you can sew in a day. You don't have to pick your scissors up to trim any threads off.
Enough from me or I will have a sore bum from being kicked off the Board. I couldnt handle that, my sanity only hangs in because of the Quilting Board and my daily dose of all of you. I can barely walk so cannot get out and rely on you all so much. Thanks for your companionship and all your interesting topics. LoL Gleniveve
Old 10-29-2011, 06:38 AM

I LOVE my bernina.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:39 AM

I have a Bernina Aurora and love it. But I have sewed several times on a BabyLock and that probably would be my first choice. I think I would look at the cost of the bobbins and any other factors of sewing before buying again. My Bermina will not use any thread except the better threads and special bobbins that are costly. I have to buy clips constantly for the slide plate as they break off and they cost $2.50 for 2. Anything that goes on this machine is very expensive as it is Swiss made. But it sews beautifully and I have had it for 6 years now (bought secondhand) and never had it in the shop once.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:43 AM

Love my Babylock Ellegente....
Old 10-29-2011, 06:45 AM

This is what I suggest, first find a local shop that will do repairs and upkeeps (like oiling). Then ask yourself how much you can afford to spend. Then what do you really need your machine to do like: my favorite- automatic thread cutter (this is great when quilting on your machine), decorative stitches (especially the button hole for that effect to outline appliques), make sure it has a walking foot, and anything else you feel you want.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:51 AM

I love my Babylock and Brother machines! They are the most user friendly machines on the market.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:53 AM

I've owned a Pfaff and Bernina. If I were to replace my Bernina, no doubt, I'd buy another Bernina! NEVER, never, never had to repair it and I've had it since 1998! My Pfaff was a great machine but was in the shop a couple of times.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by mamaw
I am a huge Janome fan and highly recommend the Horizon...it has a larger throat space than the 6600 and better lighting. Has the same accufeed system and I love mine.
I would underline this comment - it is the best machine!