Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jelly Roll Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
    Showing the stack of bolts with the Jelly Roll is a great idea. Gives a much better idea of what you are getting. I would buy a Jelly Roll of that stack.
    me too!! I like the stacks to be able to see the fabric play

Wonderful idea..now if we can just get the vendors to do this.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Yes, having the stack of bolts like that shows a bit more of the fabric. I many times avoid rolls and stacks, because I don't like buying something I can't see first.

I think the Bolts idea is terrific!! Love those fabrics and colors, and would buy a JR, or charms, or a stack of those!
    I would not buy a JR with pinked edges. I also would like to see what I am buying before handing over the $$$.
    Thanks for sharing this~~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Yes, I too would like to see all colors & prints (maybe a small picture could be atached) but then again perhaps that would take the end result & "suprise".
    I am looking forward to making a few jelly roll quilts as place mats for gifts.
    lp

If you shop at Missouri Quilt Company you click on the jelly roll and it will open a window that shows the fabric in the jelly roll.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie View Post
    Where do some vendors get pictures of swatches of the fabrics included in a jelly roll, charm pack or FQ bundle? I love that! The bolts are also a good idea.
    Evie, I think they create their own picture by putting together small pictures of the line. I have yet to see a fabric manufacturer offer those pictures... except for Moda, which makes available these "full collection" images which I personally find disappointing, because they paste together fabric pictures which are not to the same scale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love the colors in the stack of fabric. I rarely buy a jelly roll, however, if I could see the fabric in a stack I most likely would buy more of them.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

After reading all of the posts in this thread, it appears that there are an awfull lot of "doubting Thomas's" out there...don't trust anything unless you can see it with your own eyes. I have been buying anduseing JRs for a long time and have NEVER had a single bad experience with any manufacturer or jelly roll. My the jelly rolls. Maybe it's because I am an Art quilter and not traditional quilter and love the small, though be it, surprise elliment with the jelly rolls. Maybe its because I love the color ways provided by the jelly rolls. Maybe its because I'm more trusting of the various manufacturers. Maybe its because I like the challenge of going outside the box. Maybe its because I like to live a little dangerously. Or maybe its simply that I just don't care that much about every single inch of the fabric. If on or two strips don't look right in what I'm making, the I substitue a strip that does. To me quilting if supposed to be FUN and ENJOYABLE and RELAXING and it just seems to me that there are a lot of people out there who are taking this art form way too seriously. My appologies if I have offended anyone as that certainly was not my intention. This is just my opinion.
    Patqlts

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    i think you have your answer.... but what I want to know is, HOW do we get a JR of those fabulous batiks?? You have us drooling over those gorgeous colors. And I know I'm not the only one.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

I would love the 'bolted' one; however, the top one is pretty straight forward with being able to at least seeing the color. You have to decide if you can live witht he fabric by looking at the outside strip. I agree that you might be able to fudge some of the strips out... But if there is a display with the fabric there, you can see what you are going to get. Personally, I love jelly rolls and honey buns. Regardless of what I am making, I know the fabric will go together. I have mostly been working in batiks so that isn't a problem any more. Solids are the same as working with batiks. Just color and value...
    Anita in Northfield, MN

Ths bolts are better to see the colors. Some time there is a color in the jelly rolls that I would like more of and can never find.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    Evie, I think they create their own picture by putting together small pictures of the line. I have yet to see a fabric manufacturer offer those pictures... except for Moda, which makes available these "full collection" images which I personally find disappointing, because they paste together fabric pictures which are not to the same scale.
    Yup! That happened to me when I didn't realize the scale of some fabrics in the layer cake would be so huge. Now I too google the collection online before purchasing.

My goodness if I saw that stack of bolts picture for a jelly roll, it would be in my basket in a heartbeat! So... will it will be available at FF? As MaryAnn said "You have us drooling over those gorgeous colors. And I know I'm not the only one. "

I made a sweatshirt jacket using a jr and turned out really nice and i loved it till i washed and dryed it in the dryer.....then i gave it to my daughter. Putting it in the dryer was a definite no no......it was batik fabrics....still running across some of the left over pieces of fabric.....
    dsews2

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
    I, too, hate to purchase fabrics I can't see. I just go to Missouri Star Quilt Company because all their fabrics have a little thumbnail photo you can click on tho see what's in the collection.
    That's why I buy them too.......you can see the pattern of all the fabric be it any pre-cut!
    Love MOSQC

Senior Member ORSunshineQuilter's Avatar
    In actuality, I only buy from those sites online that I can see the fabrics - they give a little square of each fabric. However, I like the bolts picture even better!
    BJ the Oregon Sunshine Quilter

I have visited with the friends in chat room about a JR and Charm pack that was gifted to me. As a beginner quilter, I look at the 4" squares and the strips of beautiful 2 1/2 " fabric in the JR. Had planned on framing the squares with the the JR strips. Played with them and something is missing. I like to have a pattern in mind before starting a quilt. I find this leaning toward a scrappy approach. What am I missing here?

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Ok, MaryAnn and Lara, I've cut a few of the JRs of the rainbow fabrics... and I did three other color groups too. This is a trial to see if there really is a market for these.

They took way longer to cut than I would have liked. Well, part of the time was spent in choosing the colors (though that certainly was fun)... if I have to cut more of these, it won't take as long the second time because I've already done the thinking part of the job :-)

Anyway, they're on my site now (I hope I don't get in trouble for saying so) and the link is always in my signature.

Stacking the bolts is a terrific idea! The visual is certainly eye candy,it caught my eye. Thanks for sharing this idea.

Definately the stack of fabrics although I find the 3rd picture helpful.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Blog Entries
    I love the view using the bolts.. you can really get an idea of how they go together... I personally haven't bought a jelly roll yet, because I can't see.. if I found one of these shown here in the bolts, I would love to have one...

One of the primary reasons I don't buy Jelly Rolls is because I can't see what's in it. They're expensive, and I can't see what I'm buying. Reason enough to leave them on the shelf. The only time I have bought any, and that's been very rarely, it's been because I could see the fabrics inside the roll, either on a grid or some way. I also don't like the "pinked" edges. It's impossible to make a 2 1/2" square out of a strip of Jelly Roll. Due to the pinking, they are not 2 1/2" wide, and often, due to poor cutting, they are much less than 2 1/2" wide, even for expensive and designer Jelly Rolls. And almost universally, they are not cut on the straight grain; very poor cutting techniques. And for that they want top dollar. To me, it makes much more sense to buy the fabric I want, cut straight grain 2 1/2 " wide, straight sided Jelly roll strips, and yes it will take more effort, but I'll have a better quality product in the end, and it will probably be less expensive.
    MacThayer

Yes to the bolts view!
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

I was going to say that I love the bolts idea but then I saw you had them on your website and I had to make an electronic detour to order two rolls - the rainbow and the jewels of the sea collection. So your idea was successful - by giving us a better look at the fabrics, we are more likely to buy! (or at least I am)

Can't wait to get my new jelly rolls.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    Seeing the stacked bolts gives a much better view than the 1/4" x 2-1/2" shown in the other pictures. And especially better than just the edge of the fabrics plus the outer strip shown in the top picture! Plus that is actually 1/2 the WOF so it is truly a clear picture of what you would be getting.

Also a pinked edge while at least theoretically reducing fraying, does not give a straight edge for matching up to the next piece. Definitely like the straight cut better too.

And yes that would be a great selection for a jelly roll!!
    I don't care for the pinked edges either.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast