Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly Rolls >

Jelly Rolls

Jelly Rolls

Old 06-08-2020, 08:18 AM

I learned quickly that I'm not a fan of precuts like jelly rolls. The ones I used didn't measure 2.5" from the peaks or valleys, it was somewhere in between and inconsistent from strip to strip. I've only made a few tops and I was terrified to cut my own fabric, figured I'd let the professionals do the cutting....boy was I wrong. My 4th top I cut all the pieces myself and it went so smoothly! I still like precuts to get the variety, but I think I'll stick to fat quarter or half yard bundles.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:48 AM

You might want to check Pat Sloan's tips for working with jelly rolls. You might have
to re-adjust your stitch width when sewing crosswise (after cutting your strips sets).

https://blog.patsloan.com/2015/02/pa...elly-roll.html
Old 06-08-2020, 09:45 AM

I wish I knew all this before I purchased the jelly rolls! Never knew that they could vary in size. Fortunately I did buy some fat quarters too, so I should be able to use everything even if it mean being more careful about measuring, lint, matchinng!
Old 06-08-2020, 11:59 AM
Administrator

i have a love-hate relationships with all precuts - especially jelly rolls and 5" charm squares.

they are rarely cut accurately, no matter how much you pay for them or which brand they are.
they double or triple the per-yard cost of the fabrics.

but - gosh! - so many of the packages are so pretty.
such eye candy!

so ... guess who has a [small] drawer full of strips and fat quarters?
Old 06-08-2020, 12:35 PM

I have had very good results with Moda strips and with Bali batik strips. I had a very, very, very bad experience with another jelly roll that wasn’t either of the above. Never again! With the Moda and batik strips, I used the outside point as my reference, and it was 2 1/2” from outside point to outside point. I like jelly rolls for small projects like baby quilts. I get a great selection of fabrics without waste since I generally find a way to use it all. I have an Accuquilt strip cutter, but it is best if I need lots of strips of one color. I use it a lot, but I use jelly rolls too.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:53 AM

My other complaint with jelly rolls is that they sometimes hide butt-ugly fabrics in them. You can't see but 1/4 inch while they're in the roll and they look OK. But unroll that sucker and the ugly is revealed in its full hideousness.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I am a big fan of pre cuts. I buy more of them then yardage. I rarely use them as is so if there is a size difference in a few it doesn't bother me. I use layer cakes and charm squares on my Go dies. They fit great. The jelly rolls are great string piecing and piano key borders. I like fat eights better then fat quarters. Not much scraps left over. I have a shelf unit full of pre cuts. I can walk in my sewing room and be instantly motivated just looking at them.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll be buying jelly rolls any more either.