Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jenny's video on spring cleaning your machine! OMG

Blog Entries
    She doesn't clean her machine until it has a problem. One day that may be too late...
    Sadiemae

Enjoyed the video; but I change my needle with each project. Also, I clean the bobbin area each time before I start sewing. If I do not use a mini vacuum, I get the lint out with a make up brush that I use only for my machine. My Bernina does not like lint.

Very interesting. Thanks.

I just took the bobbin case out of my Janome last night to get ready for new project this weekend. In addition to dust I found THE TIP OF A BROKEN NEEDLE!! Imagine what damage that could cause!

Then it took me half an hour to get the bobbin case back in because it is one of those Janome's with the bobbins that does not stay in place. Bah!
    But it is clean, clean, clean.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

OMG I can't believe shee had that much lint - it kind of formed a felt pad between the parts. Gross! Missouri Quilt Co should pay for more frequent cleanings or do it after every project the way I do. Yuck!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

That machine must have nreathed a sigh of relief after being cleaned. I think she needs to clean every season, not just Spring. When I got my first computerized machine I cleaned it before every sewing session, not taking the plate off but at least cleaning where brush that came with machine could reach. I did not clean my regular machines that often. We learned how to clean our machines when I was in 7th grade (1952) Our teacher felt we should know how to treat our machine.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Jenny must have to change her needle more than once a year. I don't sew near as much as she does and I have to change my needles frequently. I think she mis-spoke. She had to have. I don't think a needle could last that long.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I think she only did a half way job, with all the lint that was showing I'm sure there is a lot more down in the machine and like others have said the vacuum attachments are great for getting down in there and giving it a real good cleaning. I also agree that she should have removed the bobbin piece as well. Always dust bunnies under there.
    As she said, "she only spring cleans" but with all the sewing that goes through a machine run 10 hours a day, someone else must be in charge of the regular cleanings.

Holy Cow!!! never seen that many dust bunnies

Gracious! That looks as if a mouse crawled in there and died! I am somewhat astounded because any machine I've ever used would start to act up, either breaking thread or skipping stitches or something any time it got linty - a lot less linty that this. What kind of machine is that?!!!

I think one problem here is that a screwdriver is needed to get into that area. On the machines I am accustomed to, there is much easier access, and of course the more bother it is, the longer a person might put off doing the necessary cleaning. That's just human nature.

I clean my machines after finishing 2-3 bobbins. Depends on the machine, my BabyLock could be done after each bobbin.
    I have had a few ladies recently who "clean" their machines and then ask me why it is not working correctly. Both have drop in bobbins and did know to take off the face plate and lift out the bobbin holder. The lint was so bad it had pushed the bobbin UP. A good cleaning and change of needle and all was well. As a thank you, one of the ladies gave me an OTT light, awesome, you can adjust the height of it.
    After 2 years with the same signature I have been requested to remove it. Bye

wow lol I never knew nor seen that much bunnies before thanks for the video

I did not see that video, but the certain death of a sewing machine is LINT. Be it a domestic or longarm.........with my dm, I clean it every other day when I am on a piecing marathon, using flannel, everyday, change that needle when I start to hear popping.....On my longarm I oil before each quilt is put up...that means every three days average and when working on a quilt, check and clean out that bobbin area every other row.....it is startling how much damage can be caused by a tiny piece of lint getting in the way of that needle/bobbin doing its job!!!!! Having a regular maintenance routine, is certainly better than spending hours down the road wondering what to do and how did that happen!!!

Thanks for sharing! All I can say is SHAME on JENNY! lol Well...she did say SPRING cleaning!

I never let my machines get that way. I clean them every time I change the bobbin. I keep canned air handy and just blow out through all the openings and above the needle area. Works like a charm. IMHO, with prices the way they are these days our machines are an investment and need to be treated as such.

I keep a separate needle for paper piercing pattern copies, but don't change my needle unless I have an issue with it, such as bent, broken or just not piercing the fabric properly.

Be careful, sometimes canned air can force dust even further into your machine. I would also worry about something besides air going into my machine.

I never let my machines get that way. I clean them every time I change the bobbin. I keep canned air handy and just blow out through all the openings and above the needle area. Works like a charm. IMHO, with prices the way they are these days our machines are an investment and need to be treated as such."

Power Poster
    She was probably exaggerating the time span between cleanings when she said 'spring cleaning'

As far as needle changes - I think that also depends as much on what one was sewing as on how long one was sewing.

Amazing what one learns when one reads the manual. It's also helpful when the manual is understandable!

I clean my machine regularly but like her I only change my needle when i have to

I have a friend who had an older machine that her husband bought her years ago. When it wouldn't work, she asked a woman at a repair shop what it would cost to get it fixed. From what she told the woman, she was told that it was probably the timing that was off and would have to be readjusted and would cost $100.00. Since her machine was quite a few years old, she thought it would be better to get another machine. The new machine worked OK but she could not get the tension right. She asked me if I'd come over and see if I could fix her machine. I asked her if she ever cleaned her machines and oiled them, and she said no! I took the tools I needed and the oil with me, and started on the older machine. I cleaned it out, and it had a lot of felted dust and lint in the bobbin case. I took the bobbin case out and cleaned under and around it as good as I could, and under the feed dogs. Then I oiled the machine after I got it back together. She was so happy when I was able to get her older machine working. And all it needed was cleaning and oiling. I did the same to the other one, and also worked on the tension and got it to working OK too.
    I was told later that pipe cleaners work well to get down around the parts under the bobbin case, but I haven't tried them yet.

I could never go that long without cleaning in there! That wasn't lint, that was felt!! I clean all my machines in the bobbin area with a Q-tip every bobbin change, and add one drop of oil. Because I do it so often, there's very little lint in there, and it only takes a few seconds. I also oil the bobbin area at the start of each sewing session. Even the new sealed machines (which don't have to be oiled) need the bobbin case to be hand oiled often. It is separate from the rest of the machine, so if you don't oil it, there is no other way for oil to get in there. It's the best thing you can do for your machine, to keep it running right and a long time.

With this machine it was totally lint. It was one of the newer Singers that do not have the felt piece in the bobbin area. It made me really appreciate my vintage Singers as they are much quieter to sew with. This one and the other one she has me workon are a lot noisier than I would want to have to listen to when I sew. I have a newer Sears/Janome that doesn't require oiling, and never thought to oil the bobbin area, but from now on, I will oil it. Thanks for the note on the newer ones.

I clean my machine twice a week.

[QUOTE=bearisgray;5223654]She was probably exaggerating the time span between cleanings when she said 'spring cleaning'

I don't think so!!! Even my friend who's machine I cleaned wasn't THAT BAD!! She had a TON of lint she pulled out of her machine. It's a wonder it even sewed with that much lint in it!

Lighten up people! As bearisgray said-it was probably exaggerated for effect! Machines aren't THAT delicate. they need to be cleaned and maintained of course but we don't need to run them to the DR. every time they squeak!

Wow a lot of dust bunnies. I better take mine apart I usually clean around bobbin but haven't taken the plate off. Thanks so much for the link. Sue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    Lighten up people! As bearisgray said-it was probably exaggerated for effect! Machines aren't THAT delicate. they need to be cleaned and maintained of course but we don't need to run them to the DR. every time they squeak!
    On the other hand if you wait to clean the machine until it has troubles, instead of regularly cleaning it--you are just asking for trouble.
    Sadiemae

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast