Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joann;s and walmart/ question and comment >

Joann;s and walmart/ question and comment

Joann;s and walmart/ question and comment

Old 08-28-2008, 11:31 AM

Went to a nearby Walmart today and decided to check out fabric department. Wow all the fabric was gone. The lady said 2 weeks ago it went on sale 50% off and now all gone. The department looked sad :( :cry: Another fabric depaertment bites the dust :thumbdown: :| :shock:
Old 10-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Some of the Wal Marts that took out the fabric dept. are bringing it back, but the store has limited the area to use. Made everything in that dept smaller. Instead of a large cutting table it is very small. Looks like who ever designed it doesn't know much about fabric. They need to visit a few other fabric shops and see how they are designed. It was most likely a man who doesn't know anything about sewing who decided the area. They made everything in all dept's smaller to fit more into the stores.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 AM

The only choice I have is a super store (second largest in the nation) and not my favorate. Bigger is not better...more customers, more lines, less employees...Been there done that, worked there....I avoid them at all costs. Our new Hobby Lobby is opening next week, I am so excited it will be like a breath of fresh air at Disneyland.....

My Super Walmart lost fabric for over a year, and it was a good size department, how ever we did get it back several months ago, smaller yes but just to be ablt to buy a spool of thread or buttons or holiday fabric....something is better than nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:41 AM

The one closest to me now has pre-cut fabrics as well. I don't mind it as much as I did when they had the bolts of cloth. They even have batting again which is great. My stash is too big right now for me to buy anything but I will.
You are so right about the fabric stores forcing you to stand in line for 15 minutes to get the fabric cut and then another 10 to get thru the checkout. I don't know what is wrong with the GM at JoAnn's and Hancock's but they obviously don't buy fabric from their own stores to see how painful it is.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:46 AM

i adore joanns, over the years they have gotten plenty of my husbands money..but i think the superstores are over kill.
even walmart cant compete.
katz
Old 10-20-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by desertdebbe
The one closest to me now has pre-cut fabrics as well. I don't mind it as much as I did when they had the bolts of cloth. They even have batting again which is great. My stash is too big right now for me to buy anything but I will.
You are so right about the fabric stores forcing you to stand in line for 15 minutes to get the fabric cut and then another 10 to get thru the checkout. I don't know what is wrong with the GM at JoAnn's and Hancock's but they obviously don't buy fabric from their own stores to see how painful it is.
It is not uncommon at my Joann to have to wait an hour to get your fabric cut....and another 30 minutes to check out....not that busy busy, just very few very slow employees....I avoid at all costs
Old 10-21-2011, 01:06 AM

Our Superstore sucks. There is so much in there except fabrics. They run it like a farm where the cows have to go a certain way to check out and never have enough checkers. They never have enough people cutting fabric so everyone is standing around holding a number while the cutters are talking and not caring about anyone. If there was some where else to shop, I would. I do, I shop at quilt shops and online. That is what happens when the have the biggest share of the market, they can do what they want. Having said all that sometimes I can find what I am looking for that I hadn't found elsewhere so it is a catch 22. :D
Old 10-21-2011, 02:44 AM

the joanns here is set up wonderfully.

you take a number for the fabric and you go shopping around the store and they announce over the speaker system when your number is up and please come to the cutting section - no one stands in a line so who cares if it takes 15 minutes.

i do many other arts aside from quilting so i like that joanns carries everything in one location - it makes my shopping that much easier.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:44 AM

Our Walmart never lost fabric, just downsized the dept about three quarters the size it had been. Still have a cutting table and staff to cut fabric. I spoke to the woman there, and they are suppose to be enlarging the dept, and adding in fabrics. I only see childrens fabric (same as when dept downsized) Some new childrens. They have brought in some really nice fat quarters, which they had at the time for 97 cents.
Last time I was there, there was a bunch of fabric on a table marked 3-5 dollars, but, no cotton
Old 10-21-2011, 07:05 AM

I think all the Joanns in Phx are super stores. I have been to four of them.
Most of my purchases are notions that I use coupons for.
Fats when on sale for 99 cents.
Books with coupons.
Take a piece of quilt shop quality fabric to a Joanns and try to find a matching fabric for it. A real eye opener.
The colors are not as rich and look so awful next to a good fabric. Now they think they can charge as much as a quilt shop for fabric. They are not fooling me.
Walmart just put back its fabric but the area is so small it is not going to work. It is only three very short isles and the fabric is as ugly as the precuts and less choice.
I now shop online mostly and get good fabric at good prices.