Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joann Fabrics' 50% off coupons >

Joann Fabrics' 50% off coupons

Joann Fabrics' 50% off coupons

Old 02-19-2010, 11:56 PM

I was entering a response to "what did you buy today" and since it involved Joann's - and the use of a 50% off coupon - I thought I'd start a new thread. Sorry it's so long.
On Sunday I went to Joann's to see if I could use the 50% off coupon on fabric that was 25% off already. (I only wanted them to honor the 50% off ... you know ... override the weekly sale.) The first week of February I had emailed the folks at their home office and asked them IF I would be able to do that. [You know how they conveniently put every thing on sale when they have the 50% off coupon. They might have the fabric on the "calico" wall @ $1.00 off per yard and they discount magazines and quilting supplies 10% so you can't use the 50 off coupon for those items.] Since I lost my job I do appreciate it when I can buy the fabrics I like to use with a 50% coupon.
***** Here is the response from Joann's:
To: Customer DI
Sent: Wed, February 10, 2010 11:22:10 AM
Subject: RE: Please Explain (LTK419098034841X)

Dear Customer,
The manager on duty can override the system and honor the coupon.
Joann.com Customer Service Team

Tell us how we're doing, rate this response.
I then responded with the following:
I feel simply "dismissed" and your lack of explanation makes the message very abrupt. I don't want to get into a disagreement with one of your store managers when trying to enforce something that you have not even presented to me in an "official" way. No name or person's position given that I can use when asking for this discount.

Armed with this printed "direction" for the store manager, I located her and asked if she would be able to accommodate me. This store manager told me that SHE would have to override the price and she didn't really want to be the one that "approved this transaction." I, of course, was only a little irritated as I knew that what DID happen is probably what WOULD happen. I said to the manager "that's fine. I'll be in touch with your corporate office and Joann's hasn't earned my money for today's purchase." As I was going to return the fabric I had wanted (silly me - what was I thinking?) the manager followed me and said that she would take care of it for me. She had a clerk cut the two yards and create the yellow slip; additionally, the way they did it allowed me to keep the 50% off coupon.
I had said to the manager that I would like to see frequent buyers have something like a "preferred card". And when they do have the 50% off coupon, those of us who shop their stores A LOT would have our card 'credited' with the ability to receive one or two 50% off purchases. This would include the ability for the store to override the current Ad price with the greater discount. She, of course, said that she had no control over that and I would have to contact corporate. I'm surprised and thankful she sold me the fabric at the greater discount.

Does this idea have any merit? I believe a lot of us would have to contact them and I don't know - is there enough interest? Thanks for listening. DI

NOTE: Emjay in Columbus, OH - Thanks for your Joann story.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:56 AM

Oh Boy!!!
Are you sure you want to get me started?
I don't even bother dealing with the 50% coupon unless it is something that I KNOW IS NOT going to be on sale.
The mags and books on sale are a great bargin.
I try to get my long list of things when there is a holiday to get the extra 10% off and I will let you all know a secret...
If you join ASG you get a 10% off card for JoAnns which is good anytime and I think in addition to any other mark downs.
So by getting a membership I get my 10% off any time all year and it is more than the membership fee for me.
Also, I realized that a very small LQS near me has some fabric for less or same price as JoAnns...now I know where to shop.
Also...the last two times in JoAnns they charged me wrong amounts for fabric. One was a quarter yard and they charged me 25 yards...YIKES!
Just my 2 stitches...
Kirsten
Old 02-20-2010, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK
Oh Boy!!!
If you join ASG you get a 10% off card for JoAnns which is good anytime and I think in addition to any other mark downs....
Kirsten
What is ASG?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 AM

You know what I hate even more than what you described (I too have never been able to get them to use the 50% instead of the sale), is some of my joann's have older systems and if you don't tell them which item you want the coupon to apply to, it'll just apply to the last thing rung in before the coupon was rung in. So if I have something worth $60 and it's the first thing rung, then i buy a piece of candy for $1 and that's rung next, then they decide that would be a good time to use the coupon, the coupon applies only to the $1 item. Now in my example it's pretty obvious what happened, but if I'm buying like 10 things and they're all similar in price, it becomes not so obvious and extremely annoying that their system can't handle the coupon like every other store in the world and just take the 50% off the most expensive thing ...... okay rant over. :)

Rachel
Old 02-20-2010, 04:26 AM

We don't even have a Joann's near us, so I don't get to use coupons.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Originally Posted by ScubaK
Oh Boy!!!
If you join ASG you get a 10% off card for JoAnns which is good anytime and I think in addition to any other mark downs....
Kirsten
What is ASG?
American Sewing Guild is the only thing I can think of that would fit this acronym
Old 02-20-2010, 05:58 AM

It's nice too see that I am not the only one frustrated by the fact that I will get a circular from Joann's with about three 50% off coupons and the only thing in the store that's not on sale is the fake flowers and felt. I hardly pay attention to thier circulars now. No point in torturing myself. However, I do wait for those times when the books aren't on sale and get 40% of those!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:41 PM

To those of you who asked, and as MNQuilter guessed, ASG stands for American Sewing Guild. I went to their site **www.asg.org** and found this comment from a member:

Member Expressions
I am spreading the word about this fabulous group because I could just kick myself for not having found them sooner! I joined the ASG at the end of December. It was one of my New Year's resolutions to take as many sewing classes as I could afford to this year, hoping to learn something new, revisit something I already know and most of all, get out of the house and make some sewing friends!

Once I joined the ASG, I could choose from many neighborhood groups. Let me just tell you all, if you sew and don't belong to ASG, you should be ashamed of yourself. Every person I have ever met (that sews), talks about improving their skills, making items to donate, teaching a daughter or niece how to sew and just plain old having someone else to talk "sewing" with and this group is all that and more! This group of ladies is just fantastic!

Sounds like a good thing. Kirsten, can you tell me how much it costs to join?

As far as Joann's goes, yes, it's great to get the additional 10% off your entire purchase. Seems like they had them back to back to back during the holiday season. Rachael, I'd have to "watch them like a hawk" to get the 50% off on the most expensive item. They switched over to a new computer system about a year (?) ago and it seems to not want to work half the time. Very frustrating for us and for the employees. I will pursue the 50% off with them because I won't give up without a fight!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Power Poster

One of the members of my guild was told - by the manager at JoAnn's - that all the guild members could get the 10% off card. She even gave one to that guild member. In order for all guild members to get the card, she said that the membership chair (me) had to send a list of the members to corporate and they would then send out the cards. So... I talked to several assistant managers and a manager at the same JoAnn's my friend went to. They know nothing - said talk to corporate. After several emails (all unanswered) and phone calls to corporate (they said I needed to talk to someone who never called back) I have given up. I shop a lot less at JoAnn's than I used to.

I always give them the appropriate coupon just as they ring something up, and tell them I want it applied to that item. That seems to work. Also, if you have an email coupon and a coupon from the mailed flyer and one of the coupons from the flyer in the store - you can use all of them (on different items) at the same visit.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:10 PM

It is true about the guilds - but here's the rule - we only have to present our guild membership cards in order to get the JoAnn's card worth the 10% off. Also, if you belong to any other group that sews, you qualify.

If your local JoAnn's doesn't honor this easily, go up the chain of command and don't give up. They have this in place, and so must honor it. It's everywhere - nationally.