Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Joanns fabric quality

I rarely go to JoAnns anymore. For thread if I need some. I think the quality of fabric has really gone downhill. I made quilts from there when I first started about 18 years ago and they were very nice. These days the fabric is just too cheap for the money they want and I wouldn't trust it to last. Also they don't look like they're dyed well anymore. I get much better quality on the internet sites. When I find a fabric I want I search & search till I find it at the best price I can possibly get. Well worth it for better fabric!

I guess I'm spoiled. I love our small town quilt store. I would rather buy quilting matrial from them than JoAnns but I do buy tshirt material from JoAnns.

You can do better on line at places like Thousands of bolts or Fabric.com , both carry high quality at very reasonable prices.
    I use Jo Anns for supplies like batting , thread etc. and then only on sale or with a coupon the regular prices are no bargain, by US standards.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    This is only MY OPINION... I do not like the quality of their quilting calico cottons, usually displayed on one wall and I believe sell for $4 and change per yard. You will easily spot it. When I first started quilting I did not know any better and my first and second quilt was 100% JA calico fabrics(goes by the store name Keepsake and in no way related to Keepsake quilting). I found the fabric to fade a lot more then fabric I bought later from LQS. In places it became threadbare with basically no wear and tear on the quilt (in a guest room that is used infrequently) and many of the lighter colors you can basically read a book through it. Oh and a few darker colors bled and continue to bleed. Unfortunately at the time of construction I did not know about Retayne.

I find their other quilting cottons way over priced. Higher than LQS prices but I do not find it to be the same quality of LQS fabric in feel so I have always passed on it and never bought it. For example I have seen batiks in JA at $12+ per yard that are not as nice as the batiks in my LQS which are priced at $8 to $10 PY. South Seas Imports brand I have seen priced at JA at $11 PY in my LQS at $8.

However, JA is a good place for notions and batting provided you have a 40 or 50% off coupon. JMHO.
    I agree. I do buy notions, books, batting, etc but not the fabric.

I mostly stick to their quilter's flannels which I put in chenille throws. Do not find their quality or feel quite up to LQS.

My fabric for my second quilt came from Joanns. I washed the quilt one time and it looked like I washed it 25 times. I have made and washed about 30 quilts after and have not had that problem with the fabric coming from LQS. I have not purchased the more expensive fabric from JA, for that price I will support my LQS.

We have a new Joanns that just opened last month and their fabric is AWFUL! The other one that I use has designer fabrics so they are fine. I was very disappointed in the quality of the new one. Why don't the y carry the same fabrics in all of them?

Blog Entries
    I am no expert on fabrics. For one thing I use all kinds of fabrics, clothing, discount, etc. I really thought the quality of the fabric was the manufacturer not the shop selling it. I go to a fabric discount shop where I buy most of my fabric. They never know what line they are going to get. Some of the fabrics are from the higher end designers and manufactureres some I've never heard of. Just have to go with the feel. Also in shopping the thrift stores for clothing I buy the designer 100% cotton items. I love the Ralph Lauren prints, a skirt can sometimes give you a lot of fabric. Saying this remember, this is my HOBBY, I am making quilts for family and friends, not for quilt shows or the quilt police or to be stored and brought out for display once every 50 years or so. But, I really do admire those of you do that kind of work. Keep it up to inspire the others like myself.

I don't buy much fabric from Joann's but love to buy supplies and notions, especially since we get coupons for 40 to 50% off in the Sunday paper. Their cheap stuff is just that, cheap. But they do have better quality if you shop carefully. You get what you pay for. I don't find that their quality is the same as my LQS.

I LOVE going to Joanns,

Just like any other place, they have wonderful stuff and they have junky stuff. I go more than once a week, and if i can't buy i PET the fabric.
    Also it depends on the location and if it is a super store. I have been to many locations and some are really not good, lucky me (not to my Dear Husband), the one in my are is nice.
    Since you are going for a visit from Canada, go online and search for printable joanns coupons and you can print a lot of 40% or 50% of their regular fabric (i get them in the mailings).
    Hope that helps...enjoy your visit.

Faten

In fact I have 3 coupons today to use at Joann's...They have diff qualities so you just have to be selective when buying...But if you have a Superstore like we have they have aisles and aisles of diff fabrics and themes. So yes, buy at Joann's..I've seen the same fabric at my LQS for up to 3.00 more a yd.

I know some people have something against Debbie Mumm----but her fabric there is really good and often 50 per cent off with no coupon. It holds up really well of a large amount of washings like a child's quilt.

Make sure to get some coupons. Sometimes they have 50 percent off coupons!

I only buy from a quilt shop except fleece. Joann's fabric I have found to have a low thread count so it doesn't hold up to wear and tear. I am really irritated that Joann's has gone from a good fabric shop with lots of fabric variety to a craft store and only shop there for a specific item using my coupons.

I have used Joann's fabric for quilts that will be used by my grandkids for a couple of years and then changed out as their tastes change. But the quilts I made for my granddaughters as keepsakes were made with quilt shop quality fabrics. The same goes for some other quilts I made as gifts for friends.

Blog Entries
    When I shop for fabric in stores like Joann's, I buy based on the feel of the fabric. After a while, you can tell if it is a good fabric or not. The good stuff has a nice, dense, smooth feel to it. One time I bought some not-so-nice fabric and when I got it back from the topstitcher it had several holes in it. The fabric was weak. Now my feeling is, if it is a wall hanging it doesn't matter but if it is something special I will spend the extra money and get good fabric.

I have shopped at Joanns many time and uses many of their fabrics. As most everyone above says you have to fondle it and make up your own mind. I have seen some inferior fabrics at quilt shops for which prices were more than 3 or 4 times what Joanns charges. No matter where you shop, you have to feel and look first ( am refereing to shops you go into - for online shops, I rely a lot on word of mouth)

Joanns...quilting notions & batting only for me..no fabric for quilting

I found some fabric at my LQS that I dearly loved but it was too much $ for me so I went to JoAnn's. I found the exact same fabric (same print, same brand) at JoAnn's for $2 per yard less. Then I realized there was a lot of that. I'm all for supporting small businesses, but not at the expense of my wallet when I can get the same brand and quality for less at the big box stores. I shop both LQS and JoAnn's because there are some different brands, but not necessarily different qualities.

my personal opioin is if I am going to put that much time into a quilt I can feel the difference right away, I want better fabric than JoAnn's and I like to support my LQS.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict
    I have shopped at Joanns many time and uses many of their fabrics. As most everyone above says you have to fondle it and make up your own mind. I have seen some inferior fabrics at quilt shops for which prices were more than 3 or 4 times what Joanns charges. No matter where you shop, you have to feel and look first ( am refereing to shops you go into - for online shops, I rely a lot on word of mouth)
    Totally agree...just like my gma taught me..feel the fabric!

I like to think of fabric as having 3 grades.

Grade 1 would be quilt-shop fabrics.
    Grade 2 would be Joanns, Hancocks, etc.
    Grade 3 would be Walmart.

There are a handful of manufacturers who only make quilt-grade fabric (like Moda), but many with sell the same print in two different grades of fabric.

Blog Entries
    IMHO the fabric is not as good as fabric at LQS. I never buy fabric there because I believe that they will survive without my purchases, whereas small LQS may close if we don't shop with them. Same with on-line. I do understand that many people don't have a LQS nearby, so of course you do what you have to do. But please consider the jobs lost and the local economy impacted when a LQS closes. Besides, it's more fun to hang out and pet fabric in a LQS!

Feline Fanatic, What it Retayne. Does ot keep the colors from running and what does it look like and where do you dt it. I have had a problem with red bleeding on my last quilt and i don't want to have any more of those. Thanks Suzanne

It's good to know that, for the most part, there is a difference in QS and chain store fabrics. It is also good that there is a variety of fabrics to choose from for not everyone can afford the same fabrics. Having choices give all quilters the opportunity to enjoy this wonderful hobby.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast