Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4
Results 76 to 100 of 100

Thread: Joanns fabric quality

  1. #76

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    21
    I wont buy fabric from joanns. Most is poor quality.

  2. #77
    Super Member sylvia77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Winston,GA
    Posts
    1,823
    I only shop at JoAnn's if I'm desperate. I think they're over priced for the quality of fabric they sell.

  3. #78
    Super Member Pat G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Western Arizona
    Posts
    1,897
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I have found wonderful fabrics at Joann's, I look it over like I do when in a LQS or at a garage sale. Some you come across is wonderful and some not so much, no matter where you shop :wink: :D:D:D

    Be sure and check the local papers for sale ad coupons before you go :D:D:D
    I believe you can get JoAnn's coupons online, too.

  4. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    UT
    Posts
    390
    I agree with feline fanatic completely. You get what you pay for. Nothing as discouraging as putting a lot of work into something (quilt project) and not have it turn out or hold up.

  5. #80
    Senior Member irma tapia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    367
    I have bought fabric there many times and I have had no problem with their fabric. They have a section that reads Quilting Fabric and I usually choose from there. There are fabrics that arn't as good so just be aware.

  6. #81
    Senior Member borntoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Blaine, WA
    Posts
    955
    Blog Entries
    15
    I shop @ the Bellingham JA's. I "USED" to get all my fabric there. It seems, tho, the last 5 or 6 times I have NOT found any fabric worth buying. I think they must have hired a new buyer cause most of their fabric is terrible-hand as well as patterns and colors.....(at least to me!) I have spent hours in there looking for the right fabric only to leave empty handed. There is a VAC/sewing place next to JA's that carries some lovely fabric. Be sure to check out the discount TRUNK - up to 75% off if you can hit it right. JA's is good for books, notions and BATTING! Use those coupons! We have at least 7 good LQS in Bellingham - check them out too! Many of JA's fabrics have way too much sizing in them so they feel better than reality! It really IS up to you what you will accept (and how much you want to pay for all that TIME invested in a quilt! ) JMHO enjoy your Bellingham shopping. (there is also a Tuesday Morning on the backside (different shopping mall) of JA's that carries some interesting sewing stuff REALLY cheap! Bot a pair of big brand name scissors there for $2.99 ! I paid well over $15.00 for my first pair in embroidery store.

  7. #82
    Super Member IBQUILTIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Fork Ca
    Posts
    8,257
    I am not crazy about their fabrics, but buy a lot of batting and notions when I have the 50% coupon

  8. #83

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Miamisburg, Ohio
    Posts
    4
    I worked at a JoAnns for several years. We had many regular customers who made numerous, large purchases of fabrics for projects they were working on. We also had several professional dress makers, bridal shop type and others, who purchased fabrics to use for customers. Like others have said, you need to be mindful of the quality of the material you select. I like the Kona fabrics line and the Quilter's Cotton line. I am a purest when it comes to my quilts. I use only 100% cotton fabric and threads. Of course the exception is when I am doing embroidery work to include in my quilts.

  9. #84
    Super Member lalaland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    2,481
    I'll pass on what I learned in a class I took.

    No matter what the fabric, touch it, feel it, rub it, look closely at it, you can feel the quality and you can see the weave and those are your best indicators. And if it feels rough when you are handling it, chances are no amount of water softener or dryer sheets will soften it up.

    That said, what I also learned is that as fabric is being produced, i.e. passing through the machine, it becomes more "refined" as it progresses. When a run is done, the yardage at the front of the line (lower quality) goes to places like Joanns. The fabric at the end of the line (higher quality) goes to your LQS, or higher end fabric stores.

    I have the luxury of living in an area where there are a lot of fabric places to choose from but I generally rely on the good ole touchy feelie method.

  10. #85
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Live in Littleton, CO via Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    2,199
    Watch the cheap fabric.

  11. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia & The USA
    Posts
    83
    Wello from this lone Aussie quilter that comes to the US twice a year & hunts out all the various quilts shops in the various states I visit ....I will say this....that I do find the fabric from JA very poor quality...& one way that one can tell, is that all their fabric is very heavily starched. And then when it is washed - its just like limp jelly fish!!

    So now I don't buy any of their fabrics, other products yes .....& books (only is printed in the US) - & various other items. This is just my opinion for what its worth......& besides that...here's another....when I buy from the various quilting stores that are small, then I am doing my bit for the US economy - as those stores I have actually found - various items that are still made in the US & that to me is very important that my US dollars are going back to the US & not to China.

    Quilters....check out your local quilt stores & you will find many things that are still made in the US....sure we may pay a bit more - but hey that bit more is paying a wage to a worker in the US & who in turn will spend in the US be it at a gas station or buying groceries.

    Cheers all & God Bless you all....& to all the quilters that welcomed me (the lone Aussie quilter) thanks heaps...as this is the best ever find for me.

  12. #87
    Super Member Sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    northern California
    Posts
    1,084
    Quote Originally Posted by babyfireo4
    So far JA is the only place I have bought fabric. Our LQS literally has 30 to 50 bolts of fabric and that is it! Aside from wal-mart it is our only option until I can find another within driving distance.
    Walmart if a place that saves you a lot of trouble. You can put much of their fabric on top of the pattern and see through enough that you don't have to put the pattern on top...

    I never shop there any more, and this happened before I realized their hiring/promotion/acquisition policies were ones I couldn't accept.

  13. #88
    Senior Member Jo Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    N.W. Florida
    Posts
    888
    I don't buy fabric at JoAnns. I go to several local shops because they need the business and they carry Hoffman, Kauffmann, Moda, RJR, etc. I go to JoAnns and use my coupons for things not on sale, yarrns, notions and such.

  14. #89
    Senior Member borntoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Blaine, WA
    Posts
    955
    Blog Entries
    15
    For those of us in N.W. WA - there is a mail order fabric place on Camano Island called overtherainbow.com They have just about anything you would want. ( made in USA stuff!) They are open to the public but you must call ahead and let them know when you are coming (so they can have someone there-if light shipping days-most employees leave!) You will NOT be disappointed if you go! I was overwhelmed the first time I went. I don't think I bot a thing... WE usually drive with whomever has the biggest car to carry @ least 6 quilters. We spend HOURS there...... Then go to lunch in Stanwood!! Of course IF we have time we always stop @ the LQS in Anacortes, WA.... We are tired but we are HAPPY!!!!

  15. #90
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Roxbury, Ma
    Posts
    10,363
    I've never had a problem with fabric from Joanne's.

  16. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Livonia, MI near Detroit
    Posts
    784
    I have not had any problem with the quilting fabric I have bought at JoAnns. I use my coupons though and try to get the better quilting fabric or the Kona. I bought a collection from a LQS, made the baby quilt, washed it before sending it out and was VERY unhappy with how it came out so now I'm not so cut and dry about 'where' the fabric comes from but rather on 'how' the fabric feels and looks. I do have a few that I made from the Keepsake fabrics (the JoAnns brand) that I have washed and dried over and over with no problems. Maybe I have just been very lucky. Happy quilting.

  17. #92
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    I've bought some great fabrics from JoAnn's and I've gotten some not so great, but they matched the colors I needed, so I used them anyway. I don't figure anything I make is destined to actually become an heirloom, so if it doesn't hold up for a 100 years, oh well, we've gotten however much enjoyment out of it in the x# of years it does last. Now if it feels awful, no matter where I find it, it stays there!

  18. #93
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    148
    I agree with another replier that the Symphony cottons are a reasonable compromise of quality and price.
    There are however cottons that if you hold them up to the light you can see
    through them. But you are not ordering on-line; you are at the store with the
    fabric in your hand and you can make a decision.
    I have purchased truly excellent fabrics at JoAnn's and made lovely quilts.
    I have only been quilting for 9 years so as far as time-tested, they are not.
    But I am not quilting heirloom quilts - I quilt quilts that are meant to be used.
    I also quilt placemats and runners and they have held up through many washings.-Judy

  19. #94
    Super Member feline fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    8,838
    Quote Originally Posted by borntoquilt
    For those of us in N.W. WA - there is a mail order fabric place on Camano Island called overtherainbow.com They have just about anything you would want. ( made in USA stuff!) They are open to the public but you must call ahead and let them know when you are coming (so they can have someone there-if light shipping days-most employees leave!) You will NOT be disappointed if you go! I was overwhelmed the first time I went. I don't think I bot a thing... WE usually drive with whomever has the biggest car to carry @ least 6 quilters. We spend HOURS there...... Then go to lunch in Stanwood!! Of course IF we have time we always stop @ the LQS in Anacortes, WA.... We are tired but we are HAPPY!!!!
    Umm are you sure about that URL?? I just went to overtherainbow.com and it connected me to a gay porn site!!

    :oops: :shock: :shock: :(

  20. #95
    Senior Member Jo Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    N.W. Florida
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by borntoquilt
    For those of us in N.W. WA - there is a mail order fabric place on Camano Island called overtherainbow.com They have just about anything you would want. ( made in USA stuff!) They are open to the public but you must call ahead and let them know when you are coming (so they can have someone there-if light shipping days-most employees leave!) You will NOT be disappointed if you go! I was overwhelmed the first time I went. I don't think I bot a thing... WE usually drive with whomever has the biggest car to carry @ least 6 quilters. We spend HOURS there...... Then go to lunch in Stanwood!! Of course IF we have time we always stop @ the LQS in Anacortes, WA.... We are tired but we are HAPPY!!!!
    Umm are you sure about that URL?? I just went to overtherainbow.com and it connected me to a gay porn site!!

    :oops: :shock: :shock: :(
    www.overrainbow.com -- the same thing happened to me

  21. #96
    Super Member Pat G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Western Arizona
    Posts
    1,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Mama
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by borntoquilt
    For those of us in N.W. WA - there is a mail order fabric place on Camano Island called overtherainbow.com They have just about anything you would want. ( made in USA stuff!) They are open to the public but you must call ahead and let them know when you are coming (so they can have someone there-if light shipping days-most employees leave!) You will NOT be disappointed if you go! I was overwhelmed the first time I went. I don't think I bot a thing... WE usually drive with whomever has the biggest car to carry @ least 6 quilters. We spend HOURS there...... Then go to lunch in Stanwood!! Of course IF we have time we always stop @ the LQS in Anacortes, WA.... We are tired but we are HAPPY!!!!
    Umm are you sure about that URL?? I just went to overtherainbow.com and it connected me to a gay porn site!!

    :oops: :shock: :shock: :(
    www.overrainbow.com -- the same thing happened to me
    I got the same thing so I googled over the rainbow quilt shop on Camano Island & got the shop

  22. #97
    Senior Member grandma sue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Owasso, OK
    Posts
    418
    This forum is getting a little racy!

  23. #98
    Super Member Pzazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NW Minnesota
    Posts
    1,250
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltgran2
    I want to visit Bellingham Wa. in the near future and go to Joanns to check out the fabric there as I've heard so much about many of you purchasing from there. Can you elaborate on the quality of the fabric for me. Is it close to LQS type quality or inferior to that? I have no idea as I've never been there before. Does it hold up very well in quilts that are being used frequently?
    It is about equivalent to Fabricland or Fanny's...maybe a little better. I shop there lots as I make quilts that will be used and used some more. If I were to do a "show" quality quilt, I would likely shop from my LQS. (Not that I ever expect to be good enough to enter a show!!!! ;) )

    When I was in BC last June, I was amazed at how much more Canadians are paying for fabric!!! What a difference from when I lived there!!! However, I did still manage to bring home a few pieces. :D

    Patti

    Patti

  24. #99
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    177
    *snicker*, porn site....=)

    try this link

    http://www.overrainbow.com/

  25. #100
    Super Member fivepaws's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,604
    Be careful. Some of their fabric is not as closely woven as the LQS fabrics. However, now that good fabrics have gone up so, I shop at Jo Anne's more and more.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.