Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joanns fabric quality >

Joanns fabric quality

Joanns fabric quality

Old 02-04-2011, 09:17 AM

I am half way between the large store in Bellingham and the one in Lynnwood and when JoAnn's have one of their fantastic sales, I will choose one of those to go to. I like both of them and the quality of the fabric isn't too bad--just check it out closely. The Bellingham area has a lot of LQS shops if you can get a map of the shops. I've brought a friend up there that was visiting from Ea. WA and we had a great time checking out as many of the stores as possible in one day.

We have a new JoAnn's in the Smokey Point area that is only 15 mins for me but it's not as large as the other 2 stores in Blghm. & Lynwd. This new store moved from the main area of Marysville and I'm happy for that as it was about 1/2 hour from me.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:18 AM

Joanns has good and bad, you just need to look at it before you buy and be sure and log on to Joanns.com and get coupons before you shop. They do have great coupons :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 02-04-2011, 09:21 AM

I don't like Joann's fabric. I buy from the LQS. Joann's is great for home decorating or dress making, but I don't like their fabric for quilting.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:37 AM

I have not read most of the responses to your question, so this may be a repeat.

Do you get Joann's coupons? If not, you can sign up on-line to get on their mailing list, assuming they will mail to Canada.

Because I generally reject paying full price for good quality fabric and refuse to buy flimsy stuff, the first place I look when I get inside the store is the red tag table. I've gotten some of my loveliest 100% cotton fabrics (such as Legacy Studio) from there, stuck in amongst the bolts of home dec., garment, & just generally horrible fabrics.

The biggest percentage of JA's Keepsake Calico is flimsy, but not all of it. I have some very quilt-worthy Keepsake Calico.

Joann's does sell some quality name brand stuff; if it's on sale, you can't use a coupon.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
Feline Fanatic, What it Retayne. Does ot keep the colors from running and what does it look like and where do you dt it. I have had a problem with red bleeding on my last quilt and i don't want to have any more of those. Thanks Suzanne
PM'd you
Old 02-04-2011, 11:29 AM

I use to buy at Cloth World(now Joann's) and Hancock Fabrics along with LQS but have given away all CW and HF fabrics and don't buy at Joann's or Hancock for their fabric...The feel to me is different...I would rather pay for fabric in my local QS and know that if there is a problem they will work with me...Also LQS will always help with your problems...At least at my Joann's that is not the case as they just work there!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

I do buy some fabrics in Joann's (with coupons) and also support my LQS. Once you make a few quilts you realize there is a difference in quality and it can be found in both shops.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 PM

What does LQS stand for? I buy my fabrics in JoAnn's and anywhere else that suits my "fancy" including thrift stores for fancy gowns at a good price!!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:32 PM

I buy most of my fabrics from JoAnns because that is pretty much my only option. My LQS is very small and limited. I don't enjoy mail ordering fabric since you lose the experience. I want to touch and see my fabric NOW. It's getting tougher and tougher.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:48 PM

I have found some fabric in quilt shops in joann's, and there is also bad quality, but you can also get bad at quilt shops too. Its like picking fruit in a grocery store, you have to weed through it all to get the good stuff