Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joann's Fabric snafu.... >

Joann's Fabric snafu....

Joann's Fabric snafu....

Old 10-02-2010, 11:34 AM

I want to see what you are going to make with the 17 different colors.....:)
Old 10-02-2010, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
I finally got to go to Joann's in the next town over, last week. I love going to find new FQs. I was walking around petting the FQ's, (yes I do!) when I walked over to see the little bundles of FQ's, and imagine my surprise when the top bundle of 'blenders' was a stack of fabrics that I bought last year at Walmart, off the dollar table! I looked at them with my magnifier light, and it is exactly the same weave and colors. Ruined my whole trip. I always thought Joann's was a higher quality fabric than Walmart. I now have proof that that just isn't so! Dagnabit! Another illusion blown up! It will make me think twice, before I spend more than a few dollars for Joann's fabric. The only upside to the story is that I got it in 17 different colors for a project I want to do. Joann's only had five colors. :roll:
I always let my sense of touch do the talking to me, and I will be outright devastated when my local walmart closes its fabric dept. It will happen, as soon as the store updates its decor. :-(
Old 10-02-2010, 11:42 AM

Debbieumphriss, I love you cat getting down!!
Old 10-02-2010, 11:50 AM

I think you are right. Walmart used to buy such a large quantity they got better buys because the more you order the cheaper it is. I think Joann's fabrics for the most part are pretty good quality, but I have been well pleased with the fabrics from both stores. I like Joann's best because they carry a much larger stock than Walmart does. I do think our Walmart is probably going ahead and close the fabric section in all of their stores locally. Of course I have to drive 45 miles to the nearest Joann's shop so I have to be ready to spend a lot of time every time I go.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by quilter41
Well I have to disagree with those of you who like the Chain Stores. If you lived in a small town and saw all your friends and neighbors lose their businesses because of Walmart, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, etc. you would understand why I say patronize your LQS. Walmart has ruined our downtown area and that is why I refuse to go there. One after another have closed because of all the Chain Stores plus it has brought lots of riff raff to our town from areas where they aren't located.
I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. Sadly, I've seen it happen in this area,too. I hate giving WM any of my money, BUT when folks can find the products they need for so much less (allowing them to keep the bills paid at the end of the month) what do you expect them to do? If I had to shop only in the independent stores (whatever it may be) I would have to just stay at home. As far as fabric goes, if I had to shop at a LQS that just opened nearby, I would be putting my sewing machine away. I can't afford $80 to $100 for fabric for a grandchild's quilt. My grands deserve it, but I can't afford it.
I really don't believe customer service is a big part of why a shop closes. Good service, of course, is wonderful and worth paying for, to a point. Face it, I think for most of us, it just comes down to money.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by AliceQ
Well I have to disagree with those of you who like the Chain Stores. If you lived in a small town and saw all your friends and neighbors lose their businesses because of Walmart, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, etc. you would understand why I say patronize your LQS. Walmart has ruined our downtown area and that is why I refuse to go there. One after another have closed because of all the Chain Stores plus it has brought lots of riff raff to our town from areas where they aren't located.
I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. Sadly, I've seen it happen in this area,too. I hate giving WM any of my money, BUT when folks can find the products they need for so much less (allowing them to keep the bills paid at the end of the month) what do you expect them to do? If I had to shop only in the independent stores (whatever it may be) I would have to just stay at home. As far as fabric goes, if I had to shop at a LQS that just opened nearby, I would be putting my sewing machine away. I can't afford $80 to $100 for fabric for a grandchild's quilt. My grands deserve it, but I can't afford it.
I really don't believe customer service is a big part of why a shop closes. Good service, of course, is wonderful and worth paying for, to a point. Face it, I think for most of us, it just comes down to money.
Alice I'm with you, in todays tight times and on fixed income, I just wouldn't be able to sew at all if I couldn't use Walmart and coupons at JoAnns. I understand about businesses closing, but eventually it will swing back the other way because the big box stores will not have anything to differentiate themselves, in the meantime it hurts the smaller retailer with limited buying power. I ran a retail business for over 25 years, and finally stopped selling product and sold my expertise which was being given away for nothing before. The big stores cannot compete with that, and for those who must price shop and I count myself among them, then we must settle for what the big guys want to offer. SAD! :-( :-(
Old 10-02-2010, 01:29 PM

You gals need to start patronizing your LQS. That is where the good quality fabrics are.
According to twinkie (note above yours) they are buying WM fabric to sell at the LQS near her. We have 6 LQS in town here and everything I see seems to be better than the WM, but Joann does have some quality fabric.

As for the FQ bundle, I don't think those are packaged by Joann fabric, but purchased already in the bundle.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:32 PM

Can't say that about all LQS. We have a large wholesale fabric house in our driving area, our quilt shops go there to buy fabric they sell for $9-$10 per yard, we can drive down there and buy the same fabric for $3.95. Sure they have to go pick it up, but we carpool and have a blast. I have always been careful about what I buy at WalMart or JoAnne, they both have good and bad fabric. Just gotta look good at the fabrics. Most of their fat quarters that are bundled so carefully are really poor quality so I shop carefully for those. One of our LQS has a "fat-quarter Friday" once a month that is great also.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:26 PM

I found out many years ago that fabric company make alot of different grades of fabric that how Joanns and WM sell them for cheaper. I really have a hard time buying from the if I'm going to make a quilt to last into the next generation by using them and all the time it take to make a quilt too!
I used Joann fabric on a quilt for my Daughter for her wedding a 2 color log cabin it was 120x120 a big one and with in a few years it all balled up on the top and the seams were coming apart. I did the washing of it and know I did a good job doing that. It made me sick as they loved that quilt!
Old 10-02-2010, 02:51 PM

One of the 3 Joanne's I ususally go to looks like they are clearing out all stores and warehouse...the difference is remarkable...sort of like a dumping ground...just can't tell what you will find when you go in. It is not well kept , the help is less than helpful and seems to carry mostly low end fabric. Rarely go there unless I am in that city.

Originally Posted by mom-6
I go to several different Joann's and the fabric mix is different in each one. Some have lots of the less expensive fabrics (a range of quality within this category) and others seem to cater to those who can/will spend more.

Seems to me like we just have to be aware of the "feel" we're looking for no matter which place we shop...and sometimes I'm more interested in the color match than in the fabric being 'the best' there is.