Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Judy Niemeyer broken daisy pattern >

Judy Niemeyer broken daisy pattern

Judy Niemeyer broken daisy pattern

Old 07-12-2018, 03:54 AM

Default Judy Niemeyer broken daisy pattern

Morning folks!

Has anyone made Judy Niemeyer's Broken Daisy Placemats? It's paper piecing, which I have not done.

I Love the look, but am wondering if it is too far advanced skill-wise, to start out with.

Thoughts?

You can see it's beauty here:
https://www.nancysnotions.com/broken...emats-kit.html
Old 07-12-2018, 04:52 AM

I've found Judy's patterns to be quite easy to follow. She likes to design then so you don't end up with a lot of points meeting, I think she calls it "floating points" and that makes it real forgiving when you are learning to paper piece.

I found her directions very clear and detailed. I was already familiar with the process, but I've done a few other designers that if you were not very familiar with PP, you'd be totally lost. I'd say go for it, and if you find something you're not sure about, post the question here to get the answer. You may want to watch a vidoe or two to help get the basics for paper piecing if you are totally unfamiliar with it.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

The placemats look like a good place to start. If you notice on her patterns, the points are floated in the backgrounds so you don't lose the points in seam allowances.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:47 AM

Really pretty but aren't they just more or less 1/2 NY Beauty blocks with some background added?
You can find NY Beauty blocks for free on line and lots of tutorials on PP.
My two cents, anyhow.

Watson
Old 07-12-2018, 06:01 AM

I think this is very different than a NYB. those I've seen have you construct arcs and then sew them together. This is constructed as wedges that you sew together, so it does not have that much curved piecing. NYB can be a lot more picky to get the points lining up correct only the curved seam, this block has non of that.

I've not gotten brave enough to tackle NYB yet. Though I figure after doing the CMIYC quilt with all it's curves, it's very similar.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:04 AM

I need new placemats and this could be the pattern. For a newby to paper piecing, Judy gives the most comprehensive and complete instructions on how to cut and piece the patterns. Read the instructions several times until you think you understand them. Then just go for it.

Quiltworx has a Facebook page and have a CI on duty most of the time. I haven't had to use them, but they are the experts in all the patterns.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:39 AM

Thank you, everyone, for your input!

I absolutely love these. Our guild has a challenge where you bring in a fat quarter in a brown lunch bag. Everyone who chooses to participate gets another bag, and you have to construct something out of the fq. You can add other fabrics of your own to it. But then at the holiday meeting in December, we get the finished products back as a gift. I love home made gifts, and knowing it will have my favorite color in it will help.

I thought this pattern would be a great idea for someone's gift to receive from me.

I think I'm ordering it.
Wish me luck!
Old 07-12-2018, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

In oranges and yellows - I would call it "sunrise, sunset"
Old 07-12-2018, 07:48 AM

That is beautiful placemats and I think if you follow the paper piecing direction you should have no trouble at all. Good luck and please share a picture if you decide to make these.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:54 AM

I actually think this is a good pattern for a newbie to start paper piecing. Lots of people here if you have questions or need help, and please be sure to post pictures as you go!