Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki Owners- Help Desperately Needed! >

Juki Owners- Help Desperately Needed!

Juki Owners- Help Desperately Needed!

Old 08-28-2014, 11:29 AM

Default Juki Owners- Help Desperately Needed!

My Juki 98 -TLQ was working perfectly until I decided to move it into the cabinet in my other room. I set it up, plugged it in and now have no power. After checking my instruction book (after of course), it says it will cause trouble if you plug in the main power cord before the foot pedal but gives no instructions about fixing this. (I'm not even sure what order I plugged them in at this point, I am so frustrated!) How do I get back to sewing? Is there a re-set switch someplace? Unhooking everything and starting again did nothing and there are no Juki dealers in Southern Ontario. Any suggestions please?????
Old 08-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if you blew the fuse in the machine? Check out this thread:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/Sewi...ns/topic/63374
Old 08-28-2014, 12:12 PM

Thank you so much for this piece of information. I just pulled off the back and the fuse looks fine and is not black. However, as this is a possible cheap fix, I am going to replace it and see if that works. I'll let you know.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 PM

Are you sure you are getting power through that particular outlet? Sometimes they don't work even though the power elsewhere in the room is working. I guess the outlet boxes in the wall sort of wear out. Check the outlet with another small appliance.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by fayeberry View Post
Are you sure you are getting power through that particular outlet? Check the outlet with another small appliance.
This is what I was going to suggest. Plug a night light in, see if that outlet even has power. Check the fuse at the breaker box. Try plugging the machine into an outlet you know works. You need to figure out if it's the machine or the outlet before you can go further.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by fayeberry View Post
Are you sure you are getting power through that particular outlet? Sometimes they don't work even though the power elsewhere in the room is working. I guess the outlet boxes in the wall sort of wear out. Check the outlet with another small appliance.
This was my thought too--that the problem is that outlet not your Juki.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Power Poster

it says it will cause trouble if you plug in the main power cord before the foot pedal but gives no instructions about fixing this.
I never heard this before. Seems every dealer would be telling everyone if this caused enough trouble to really mess up the machine.

I hope the problem is something simple that you are over looking.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:21 PM

Are you getting any power at all? Is the light coming on?

I just had the problem with my Juki 2010Q. The light came on, but nothing happened when I pushed down on the foot pedal. I tried a number of things with no luck. Finally broke down and drove the 45 minutes to the dealer to have him look at it. Then came my "duh" moment - when I had filled a new bobbin, I left the shaft that goes up against the bobbin as it winds in the neutral position - neither all the way in or out. Apparently, the machine will not sew unless the bobbin shaft is fully extended. What a waste of time and gas. Could have been sewing for that hour and a half.

If you are not getting any power at all, try spreading the prongs on the plug open a little more. Sometimes they get squeezed and don't make the proper contact in the socket.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:49 PM

Just got home from trying to locate a fuse - no luck as I live in good old rural Ontario with limited shopping close by. A local auto parts place and the Source couldn't help. I had previously tried another electrical outlet here, re-plugged everything and checked household fuses. Now I'm off to check out the bobbin possibility. I really appreciate all of your suggestions. I'll let you know.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:07 PM

Pamar, you win first prize!!!! The bobbin winding position was not completley disengaged. I moved it back just a little and I have power!!!! Thank you so much. You saved me an 1 1/2 trip to Brampton to the Babylock dealership (they also repair other brands and have a good reputation for fixing problem machines). I really really appreciate all of the answers I've received today and although I've gotten no sewing done, I have learned a lot. I didn't even know I had a fuse back there. I wonder why some of these things are not in the owner's manuel? Pamar's tip about the bobbin winding position should also be in there. I'm sure this has caused grief for more than one owner. Now I can get back to stitching. Thanks again.